PDA

View Full Version : Fierte IT or CDA??

John
08-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Hey folks, looks like I will soon own a new Serotta. I got myself a fitting at a very reputable shop to see what frames from various manufactures would work for me, and the Fierte IT and CDA are definitely on the list.

I am 48, currently ride an older steel frame (carbon fork) and do about 4k miles a year. Love to climb, enjoy mellow rides, and especially like the long, solo, mountainous rides of NH and Vermont.

Torn between the two frames. Coming from the steel bike, the newere materials, and hence the new feel from the materials of the Fierte IT are very attractive.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

John
08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Not to say that I don't like fast, group rides, or the occasional Tri, either.

Looking for one bike to do it all.

Thanks

dekindy
08-09-2008, 08:13 AM
You would never regret a custom or steel bike so you would definitely love a custom, steel bike. My belief is that whatever frame material you start riding with is the material that you will always prefer. I test rode several carbon bikes. I don't think they were better or inferior to steel. They were just different and I ultimately selected a steel Fierte.

I tired of scratched, chipped paint (because I am anal retentive) and found a lightly used demo Legend bare titanium frame in my size at the Serotta garage, at a huge discount. Absent that, I would have kept my steel Fierte forever and sent it back for factory restorations as needed. My titanium Legend with carbon fork and seat stays rides great so I have no regrets.

Larry
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey folks, looks like I will soon own a new Serotta. I got myself a fitting at a very reputable shop to see what frames from various manufactures would work for me, and the Fierte IT and CDA are definitely on the list.

I am 48, currently ride an older steel frame (carbon fork) and do about 4k miles a year. Love to climb, enjoy mellow rides, and especially like the long, solo, mountainous rides of NH and Vermont.

Torn between the two frames. Coming from the steel bike, the newere materials, and hence the new feel from the materials of the Fierte IT are very attractive.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well..... you cannot go wrong with either frame. If the Fierte is close to your true fit that's very good. Craftsmanship is really excellent. I would love to own one. Also, being stock, you definitely get to try it out for a day or two before buying.

But..... I own a CDA. Bought it when it was much more reasonable in price.
Custom fit is great if the fitter knows what to send along to the folks at Serotta. However, I still like the looks of steel better. The chips in paint just add to the look as far as I am concerned. It shows your comrades that you have really put in the miles.

So...... either way is fine...... maybe buy one of each. That makes it simple.
Good luck.

Larry
08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Do Not Sell The Old Bike !!!

rspecker
08-10-2008, 12:39 PM
John,

What do you figure the "out the door" price is for the CDA?

sencha
08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm 49 and I haven been riding a Fierte IT now for about 3 months and am absolutely amazed at the quality and craftsmanship of the bike, not to mention it's quick handling and lightness. Between the carbon and Ti of the frame and the Fizik Aliante carbon saddle I ride 50 miles and feel like I just left the driveway...amazing.

John
08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
sencha, that sounds a lot like what I am looking for, a good handling steed that will leave me feeling fresh after a cruise, a climb, or a hammer fest. What were you riding before purchasing the FIT??

I spent some time and cash on a really good fitting at a well respected serotta dealer, and the stock Fierte would put me right in the middle of a great fit. And sure, the CDA would allow me to go custom for a few $$ less that the FIT. But.....

Seeng that I am spending a lot of not-so-disposable cash, I was thinking tha thas a great, but slightly different ride quality than the 853 steel that I currently ride. Yes, the FIT will cost a few hundred more than the custom CDA. Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the way the steel rides, a new ride might juat mean a "new ride". The spine design of the Ti and carbon is very intersting, getting value from the material/ride properties of both materials. And a added plus, I won't freak out every time I get caught in a summer storm (has happened a lot this summer).

Any other input, experience....anything???

I hope to place my order for a Serotta this week.....can't wait.

Pete Serotta
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
They both, if the fit the same for you, are great rides.

You can not go wrong with either ....

It really comes down to what you like in terms of "looks" ie colors and sloping vs non sloping top tube and material..

For my son in law,as well as my nephew, we picked CDAs...The CDA is one of my favorites...

My son in law could have fit a "stock" size but the color and paint scheme he wanted dictated a CDA. My nephew needed a custom to meet his long legs and shorted torso.

hkalilinks
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I am no real expert on this, but if you need better help .you can contact me www.tradett.com (http://www.tradett.com)

sencha
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
John,
I rode a Cannondale R600 for 11 years. Nice frame but the AL was harsh compared to the Fierte. When I would finish a century on the R600 I was toast, arse felt like it was run through a meat grinder. Again, the new saddle, Fizik Aliente is the best thing I have ever ridden. I was planning on buying all new shorts before the new saddle, now I feel like I could ride in my underwear and it wouldn't be a problem.

The only other thing that I will have to see if it makes a difference is the tires on the Fierte are the Michelin Pro Race 3, these tires seem softer than the Conti's I normally ride so will have to see how much more the ride changes when I go back to Conti. The Michelins are nice, cornering is unreal but I think the new Conti's with Chili are a close match but with better rolling resistance.

BoulderGeek
08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
FWIW, I started off on Columbus SL/SLX bikes in the 80s.

I have a Nove (IT) and absolutely adore the ride and handling.

I've thought that if I had to replace it, I'd get a Fierte IT. I fit the stock 58 geometry well.

I don't doubt that CDA owners absolutely love their bikes with a fierce loyalty. But, for me, I think that the carbon/Ti combo gives the ride, weight and experience that I am looking for.

John
08-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Something within me just could not resist the Ti/carbon mix, both in aethetics and ride quality.

So I pulled the trigger on the IT and am witing on delivery.

I now have this problem, I keep hearing this clock like tic...tock....tic...tock...

Larry
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM
The Fierte IT sits quietly at the Bike Mart.
It's already built up, and may be aesthetically the most beautiful in its class.
My guess is that noone has ever ridden this machine.
I'm sure the ride is just as good as the CDA.
...... just depends on how it feels to you, and what strikes your fancy.
You can't go wrong either way. It's a Serotta. Quality!

sencha
08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Congrats!!!
I'm sure you will be as happy as I have been with mine. Be sure to post a pic or two of the new steed, something I still need to do...

Pete Serotta
08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
best of luck and hope the wait is VERY short. Two of the fellows I road with on RIDE the ROCKIES this summer have the IT.

Show pictures and ride report when you get it. What are you putting on it?

Something within me just could not resist the Ti/carbon mix, both in aethetics and ride quality.

So I pulled the trigger on the IT and am witing on delivery.

I now have this problem, I keep hearing this clock like tic...tock....tic...tock...

Ahneida Ride
08-23-2008, 11:14 AM
John

Let's hook up and do a ride. PM me when you get the Puppy.

I am slow but I LOVE the Vt. Hills.

Who is the lucky LBS?

My Best and the wait goes fast. The last 2 days are Killers.

John
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
That darn clock is still ticking....hope it doesn't keep me up at night. :D

To reduce the impact on the bike budget, Ill be transferring my Ultegra over to it, along with the White Ind/DT wheels I built up. I'll upgrade as parts wear out.

I'll post a couple pics as soon as I've gotten it and built it up. Delivery was originally scheduled for about 10 days from now.....tic...toc.....tic...toc....

Larry
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Test rode the Fierte IT today. Very nice!! Quality through and through.
Both CDA and Fierte are outstanding...... engineering, cosmetics, and ride.

Now..... figure out how to make the engine run better. That's the key!!!

dekindy
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
If you are in Indianapolis this Labor Day Weekend Bicycle Garage Indy has their Serotta's (actually all bikes-Giant, Cannondale, etc.) 25% off list. They do not update their inventory during the sale and you cannot call to get an update. But the Serotta inventory moves slowly.

Here is the original list.

http://bgindy.com/page.cfm?PageID=678

The HSG Ti 58 Red has Rival components and is just my size. It is a good thing that I am completely satisfied with my Legend and do not have any extra money to burn right now! :no:

BTW - I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just thought somebody might actually be interested in their deals.

Pete Serotta
08-31-2008, 01:40 PM
too bad it is not durning Handmade Bike Show for SPOKES could drop in and take one home :p :p

If you are in Indianapolis this Labor Day Weekend Bicycle Garage Indy has their Serotta's 25% off list. They do not update their inventory during the sale and you cannot call to get an update. But the Serotta inventory moves slowly.

Here is the original list.

http://bgindy.com/page.cfm?PageID=678

The HSG Ti 58 Red has Rival components and is just my size. It is a good thing that I am completely satisfied with my Legend and do not have any extra money to burn right now! :no:

BTW - I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just thought somebody might actually be interested in their deals.

John
09-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Looks like the snooze button got pushed, delivery date got moved and I have to wait an extra week to get the frame. Dang!

And that ticking gets louder all the time.....tic....toc....

Pete Serotta
09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Have your dealer get Dave to send a case of Serotta beer to make the wait shorter :beer:

Looks like the snooze button got pushed, delivery date got moved and I have to wait an extra week to get the frame. Dang!

John
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
A case ofSerotta beer????? I'm sure it would be tasty.....if a bit filling.

On the other hand, a nice bottle of 20 year old Serotta Single Malt.....now we're talkin'.

Pete Serotta
09-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry, how about a 20 year old bottle of BUD :beer:

A case ofSerotta beer????? I'm sure it would be tasty.....if a bit filling.

On the other hand, a nice bottle of 20 year old Serotta Single Malt.....now we're talkin'.

John
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
20 year old bud......the Serotta beer seems much more appealing!!

dekindy
09-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Oh, the humanity!!