PDA

View Full Version : new wheel tolerances

yarg
08-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I had a new wheel built, nothing fancy, ultegra hub and open pro rim. I have not ridden it yet. I have noticed after putting it on the bike in work stand that it is true but out of round by 1.5-2mm. What is the generally accepted tolerance for this in a new wheel? Thanks in advance.

avalonracing
08-09-2008, 08:06 AM
My accepted tolerance is: 0.0

gone
08-09-2008, 08:11 AM
+1

I always put new wheels on the stand and check true, dish and spoke tension. I've gotten some really bad ones (including some very expensive ones) in the past.

dvancleve
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Often you can't build a perfectly true/round wheel with reasonably balanced tension (rims aren't perfectly round or uniform), but that is much more wobble than I would accept on a wheel I built. I would say that you shouldn't be able to discern any rim movement when spinning the wheel out of a truing stand. If you can see it moving around, it isn't as true/round as it should be.

Doug

I had a new wheel built, nothing fancy, ultegra hub and open pro rim. I have not ridden it yet. I have noticed after putting it on the bike in work stand that it is true but out of round by 1.5-2mm. What is the generally accepted tolerance for this in a new wheel? Thanks in advance.

Peter P.
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I've built a ton of wheels. 1.5-2mm is an awful lot. It should be relatively easy to get that under 0.75mm for roundness. Without using any indicator, just looking at my wheels you could not discern any error, and the tension is still even, in fact I strive for twice as tight tolerances regarding tension errors, than Park Tool suggests.

Just off the cuff, I expect to be in the Delmar area around Labor Day weekend. I could take a look at it and bring my truing stand as well, if you want a second opinion.

vqdriver
08-10-2008, 01:10 AM
were the tires mounted when you checked it out? obviously wouldn't affect true, but can affect roundness.
i had a similar issue several years back. turned out to just be a tire abnormality. i felt pretty silly after wasting time playing with the spoke tension.
if not, then yeah, 2 mils is more than most would expect on a new wheel.