PDA

View Full Version : BeBop

davep
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I am intrigued by the BeBop pedals. Anyone have any personal experience, insights? Things to watch out for, etc. I currently have SPD-SL on my two bikes, but am thinking of trying something else on a new bike. Thanks in advance.

eddief
10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
I tried them on my Bacchetta recumbent and they were the bomb-that means good. Easy entry, easy exit, full float, maybe the lowest stack height. I took them off the bent and thought I'd try them on the upright bike. Wow, the float on the upright seemed like it was slippery compared to when the pedals were mounted on the bent. No weight on the pedals when riding the bent, and lots of weight on them when riding an upright. I switched the upright right back to my spd's because I was not in the mood to brake in my being to something new.

The bops seem like a nicely engineered product and the cleats are fairly heavy duty and pretty walkable in my mt bike shoes, Sidi Dominators. Maybe someone more used to using them on a road bike could chime in.

flydhest
10-21-2004, 04:44 PM
CalfeeKevan swears by his.

I tend to swear at CalfeeKevan.

oracle
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
bebop-a-rebop, rhubarb pie

oracle

jbay
10-21-2004, 09:20 PM
I found Bebop's cleats to be rather fragile, with the spring being the weak link. During the course of a year's use, I broke two cleat springs. One broke one night while riding home from work on my fixed wheel - not a pretty situation, I assure you. Worse than that though, was the fact that the people at Bebop told me on both occasions that I was the first person who had broken them. I obviously didn't believe them on the second occasion!

A friend also had a problem with the pedal body coming off the spindle - the screw that keeps the body on the spindle came undone. The really bad thing about that was that it occurred in the middle of PBP!

That screw is also a #$%* Philips-head screw - a lousy fastener to use for location that requires a high torque. If you ever want to service the bearings, you will have to remove it, and good luck if you strip it with an old Philips screwdriver.

I like to travel and it is worth bearing in mind that these pedals do not exist outside the US. If you were ever to travel overseas, you would be well advised to bring spare cleats with you.

Finally, I will mention the subjective facts that I (a) dislike free float and (b) really hate my ankles hitting and scuffing cranks, but to each their own.

-- John

Too Tall
10-22-2004, 05:39 AM
Ditto everything Jaybay said. I commuted one season on BeBoops. LOVED the pedal when all was working well. The cleats are a problem otherwise a brilliant product.

Kevan
10-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Beebop, ba duba dop ba do bop,
Ba duba dop ba do bop,
Ba duba dop ba do. oh yeah,

Sing with me!.....

Beebop ba duba dop ba do bop,
Ba duba dop ba do bop...

No?

Okay, well then it's your loss.

Great pedals and I have to say I never have had the cleat problems the others have mentioned here. I bought my pedals back in 2001 and I'm on my second pair of cleats. Sure they wear with walking, but they lasted better than a season. And no... they don't offer cleat covers.

One big problem that's sprung up is the cleat's drilling, they're SPD-like. Today's road shoe is designed, Look-like. I've emailed the Bee-gang asking them if they are addressing this issue and I received a reply that they are working on it.

I'm hanging true with these boys. :D

scottcw
10-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I have ridden Bebops for almost 4 yrs. with no problems with the cleats or the pedal. Love the float, love the low stack height, love the ease of clipping in and out.

WadePatton
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I have ridden Bebops for almost 4 yrs. with no problems with the cleats or the pedal. Love the float, love the low stack height, love the ease of clipping in and out.

Me too, I run the Bebop on everything. I've dabbed at speed (slick trail and two-wheel drift) and been clipped back in without a thought. It is good to have an extra set of cleats in the toolbox. When they wear out-you'll sometimes unclip on the upstroke. I lube mine with paraffin or bar soap or crayola--whatever is handy to keep that slickery floating feeling.

Fixed
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
i thought this was about dizz
sorry cheers :beer:

chrisroph
01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
i thought this was about dizz
sorry cheers :beer:

that's real bebop