PDA

View Full Version : Well here's a Cinelli I hoped never to see for sale.

TMB
08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Friend of mine has seemingly decided to sell his Cinelli.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Historical-vintage-race-Cinelli_W0QQitemZ320284556757QQihZ011QQcategoryZ56 197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dookie
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
here's another. (http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/prodotti.php?Id=3&lang=EN&IdBici=467)

BumpyintheBurgh
08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Randy Cunningham writes a nice description of the bike and the exploits of Bill Wild. Nothing against the bike or the owner but aren't the actions of Wild Bill and not the bike, what is historically significant. I'm sure that he could have accomplished his feats on many other Italian racing bikes, so what make the Cinelli special. Also, if the bike has been restored doesn't that destroy the originality.
I've never understood the whole sports memorabilia thing, where we attach an inordinate value to an object just because someone rode it, wore it, hit it out of the park, scored a goal with it, etc. I understand the significance of the events but I'm amazed that someone would spend $750,000 for a baseball that Barry Bonds broke the home run record with. It's not a piece of art by Rembrandt that can be admired for it's beauty. It's a stinkin baseball. The jersey displayed in a case on the wall if something else I don't get.
The Cinelli certainly is a nice vintage bike but it's not a piece of art like some of the ornate lugged bikes I seen on the forum and I wouldn't pay a premium to own it. Now if he was auctioning off a lunch with Bill Wild so you could talk to him about his cycling adventures and hear some of his stories, that would be worth the price.

Enigma
08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Nobody's talking about $750,000. It's a cool bike and for folks who like that era of racing, know the history and like the bike and it fits, why not?

After all, who wouldn't like to own Greg Lemond's carbon TVT from 1989? I know I would.

No, I wouldn't spend tens of thousands, or even thousands, but I kinda get why it might be of some interest to someone who is an aficionado of this sort of thing.

BumpyintheBurgh
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Nobody's talking about $750,000. It's a cool bike and for folks who like that era of racing, know the history and like the bike and it fits, why not?

After all, who wouldn't like to own Greg Lemond's carbon TVT from 1989? I know I would.

No, I wouldn't spend tens of thousands, or even thousands, but I kinda get why it might be of some interest to someone who is an aficionado of this sort of thing.

Yes, I know what you mean....I bought a used 1989 Chrysler LeBaron convertible after I found out it was previously owned by Jon Voight. Salesman told me that Angelina Jolie was conceived in the back seat. Should be worth something. Any offers?

weaponsgrade
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes, I know what you mean....I bought a used 1989 Chrysler LeBaron convertible after I found out it was previously owned by Jon Voight. Salesman told me that Angelina Jolie was conceived in the back seat. Should be worth something. Any offers?

check the name in the owner's manual again. i have a feeling it'll say john voight.

vjp
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
there is something, like say a pencil that might help in identifying the original owner...

ti_boi
08-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Friend of mine has seemingly decided to sell his Cinelli.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Historical-vintage-race-Cinelli_W0QQitemZ320284556757QQihZ011QQcategoryZ56 197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice ride. Definite mojo in the tool.
Worth knowing the provenance. Damn right.
It matters where the item is from.

BumpyintheBurgh
08-09-2008, 05:36 PM
check the name in the owner's manual again. i have a feeling it'll say john voight.
So what are you saying? You are ruining this whole experience for me!
Dammit, you mean John Voight, the periodontist? Did you go to dental school with him? I should have gotten the 89 Volvo.
"Everybody's talking at me." "I don't hear a word they're saying."

T-Crush
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
If your central view of a bike is that first and foremost it is a tool for racing or fitness then the hands that built it or the previous rider that rode it may mean little to you. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact, sometimes I wish my reaction was more that way. On the other hand if you find joy in the history or if knowing who labored over your frame brings a smile to your face, then so be it. To me, that's part of the beauty of this pursuit, there are many ways to enjoy a bike, riding (and racing) being a big one, but only one. "Why do you like your bike?" is a question with no wrong answers.