PDA

View Full Version : install tricks for quill stem and bars?

sbornia
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
It's been at least 10 years since I installed a quill stem and road bars...any tricks to doing it without scratching either part to hell? fwiw, stem is a Nitto Dynamic and bars are Nitto 185 (classic round with cable groove).

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

SoCalSteve
08-08-2008, 06:11 PM
It's been at least 10 years since I installed a quill stem and road bars...any tricks to doing it without scratching either part to hell? fwiw, stem is a Nitto Dynamic and bars are Nitto 185 (classic round with cable groove).

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

See, its just like riding a bike, you never forget...

boywander
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
See, its just like riding a bike, you never forget...

Gone are those days when building up bikes require more technicalitiy know how then todays bikes.
Like adjusting bearings; bb, hs, hubs etc... Now everything is available in cartridge bearing without much fine tunes at all.

EricEstlund
07-10-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.euroasiaimports.net/productcart/pc/catalog/nittostemspreadingtool_673_general.jpg

Ken Robb
07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
It's nice to have a partner hold the stem and spread the clamp either with the special tool illustrated above or a big flathead screwdriver. That leaves you two hands to maneuver the bars' curves past the clamp.

If you have no friends (nearby :) ) lock the stem in a vise after padding it or the jaws. I have done this by myself freehand but it can be tricky to really difficult depending on the size/design of the bars.

regularguy412
07-10-2011, 12:51 PM
You can also use the old nickle trick.

Reverse install the bar clamp bolt from the opposite side. After threading the bolt part-way through, place a nickle against the inside of the slot where the bolt goes into the other side of the bar clamp. Keep on threading forward, carefully, with the hex wrench. This will effectively spread the clamp open a bit more and usually allows enough room for the bar bends to pass through cleanly.

Just be sure not to open the gap too far.

Mike in AR:beer:

ultraman6970
07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
+1 with the coin trick but be carefull because if you are putting a 26.6 cinelli bar in a 26 mm stem the trick will work, the issue is for how long before the stem cracks so be careful and measure really well.

ps: what old potato says

oldpotatoe
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
+1 with the coin trick but be carefull because if you are putting a 26.6 cinelli bar in a 26 mm stem the trick will work, the issue is for how long before the stem cracks so be careful and measure really well.

Or a 26.4mm Cinelli handlebar........................