PDA

View Full Version : threadless stem install question

eddief
08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
i have that custom threadless stem available in the classifieds. A couple of prospective buyers have asked how far above the top of the fork steerer "can" the top of the stem extend?

I know the stem needs to be a couple of mm above the steerer in order to allow the top cap to preload the bearings, but could the stem be, let's say, 1 cm above the steerer and still work ok?

My guess is that as long as the top cap bolt can reach the star nut, all should be ok?

Fixed
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
yes imho . you might need spacers on top of the stem no big deal

dvs cycles
08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
In the case of your unusual stem I would think that if the steerer tube extended into about 2/3 of the stem it would be fine since the clamping area is at the very bottom. Don't know whether it would matter if it were alloy or carbon steerer. I've never seen a stem like yours before.

fierte_poser
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, eventually, there's not going to be enough steerer tube/stem interface to keep the whole from coming apart when stressed (ridden). You mention 1cm...most threadless stems have about 4cm of stack height, so you're talking about going to 75% of the clamping area. Is it enough? Maybe.

On another subject, what does it feel like when collarbone meets concrete curb? ;)

Have you check the Easton technical documents for one of their forks? Maybe they specify the maximum?

Maybe call Reynolds directly?

Oh...I just read that it is a custom threadless stem...it probably has all of the spacers built in, right?

SadieKate
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
The stem in question --
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49088&highlight=custom+stem

We have similar stems but the clamping bolt is at the top. Probably the two most critical things to consider are, as mentioned, that the top cap bolt can reach the nut and that you don't exceed stack height on the steerer. If the steerer is already at max height and the stem will extend above that, wouldn't the forces on the steerer be the sum of the steerer tube and the stem? In other words, the two together could be above the max of the steerer tube.

davidmn
08-09-2008, 01:42 AM
The lotro gold (http://www.ugamegold.com/game-gold-Lord_of_the_Rings_Online.html) is open to order Now. Welcome to our Lord of The Rings Online store! We provide the Lord of The Rings Online gold for nearly all the servers of Lord of The Rings Online.