PDA

View Full Version : Fenders and Disc Brakes

jhcakilmer
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I have a 29er atb Gary Fisher with disc brakes, and I'm looking for a set of fenders. I'm using the bike primarily for commuting, so I'm running small tires 700x28 or 32, and I'm wanting narrow fenders....45mm, or so.

The trick is fitting them with the disc brakes, any suggestions??

Thanks

dauwhe
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I know there was a Tournesol with disk brakes reviewed in VBQ several years ago. It had fenders; I seem to recall that they routed some of the fender stays very oddly, but can't remember details...

Dave

dauwhe
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Found a photo... might not be too much help, especially since it's a custom:

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/Tournesolfull.jpg

cp43
08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
SKS and planet bike both make good fenders in the size you're looking for. I've had a set of the planet bike ones on my commuter for ~2 years with no problems.

As far as mounting there's 2 options that I've seen work ( I haven't done either myself yet)

1) If your fenders have steel stays you can just bend em to miss the brake caliper and bolt em on as normal.

2) Mount the fender stay outboard from the frame itself. You can do this with either a longer than normal bolt and a spacer/washers, or get a purpose made bolt that has threads on one end to go in the brazon, and a threaded hole on the other to take the normal length bolt.

If you're planning on running a rack that will attach near the fender option 2 will probably be better.