PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CRT Tire clearance

sinican
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Serotta CRT from the late 90's, and major concerns, etc. Also, what's the tire clearance on it? What's the widest tire I can run with and without fenders?

I am thinking that it might be a good touring/brevet bike for my girlfriend who is very light.

thanks,
franklyn

sinican
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Also, what is the Bottom Bracket drop for the frameset.

thanks,

Pete Serotta
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
It will definitely be a good touring(light) or long ride bike....I have 28mm tires on mine (but no fenders).

Very stable bike.

sinican
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Pete, from previous discussion, you seem to own a CRT. Do you know what the BB drop is?

Pete Serotta
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
No I do not...I have a catalog at home with figures but am at the DBRK RAMBLE and then in SARATOGA till 18th.

All I can tell you is that it is stable in handling and tracking. Dave Kirk probably knows if you need info now.

It is a good ride and the bottom bracket drop does not make it a race bike or detract from smooth ride). It is a balanced ride with all but a 50 plus lbs load on rear (and it might be good there - but I have never tried. I am in credit card touring and do not carry tent. cooking items, etc....

woolly
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
One of my almost-finished bike projects is a CRT. It's wearing Michelin's in a 25 (larger than many other 25's) and when I spent a few minutes this spring test-fitting a pair of SKS fenders it was a no-go. Then I got busy with summer stuff & other bikes and haven't thought about the fenders since. Since it takes short-reach brakes, I'm doubtful I'll get this combo to work - it'll either be one size smaller tires or no fenders. Bummer, biiiig bummer.

rocky rode
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
The BB drop is 8 cm. It will fit 28 mm tires w/o fenders fine. With fenders Conti 28's will probably work but Michelin 25's probably will not. I used zip ties at the brake bolts to hold the fenders, not the factory brackets, it gives a tad more clearance.

It's a great bike. I unfortunately sold mine some time back. I regret it...