PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure TRaining IMPulse?

toaster
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/training-measuring-work-rate-16397

This is a pretty simple formula. The Polar CS 200 HRM (and others) can be set up to record minutes spent in the three zones.

Today, I rode 2 hours and 50 minutes and had a TRIMP score of 242 points using the above method.

regularguy412
08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
That's a pretty interesting concept -- and a neat way to challenge yourself. I can see, tho, that there may be some value in knowing just 'how' and 'how often' the HRM takes samples. I have an HRM that will record values in five second , 15 second or one minute intervals. Granted, all the values are just a snapshot for that very moment in time , but it seems that how often the HRM takes a sample might affect the total minutes spent in each zone. This suggestion might also be splitting hairs, since I've not yet tried the TRIMP system.

It might be cool to give it a try just to see how it compares to other training plans.

Mike in AR:beer:

PS -- thanx for sharing

toaster
08-06-2008, 07:15 AM
What I see that is useful here is that the TRIMP points can be the value you use when you are periodizing your training. Instead of hours or miles, the TRIMP measures time and intensity.

The other thing is that they're saying is that you should spend about 70 percent of the time below 75% of HR max and 20 percent at 76%-85% of HR max and only 10% at 86%-100% HR max when you are training.

There's several ways to calculate TRIMP, the three zone method is easy and I can program my Polar CS-200 to record time in the zones.