PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have first hand experience with conti 25 tubular and steel ATL fork?

Pete Serotta
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
from Giff Holmquist

has a 97 or 98 Serotta Atlanta with the steel fork. Currently I have Skeleton brakes on it, Centaur IIRC. Do you know what the largest tire I should be able to run on it would be? I'm looking at some Tubulars and XXX recommended Conti Competitions in 25. Before I lay out the cash for those, I'd like to try to be sure they will fit as I had some 25 clinchers that actually rubbed on the brakes.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete

Pete Serotta
08-06-2008, 05:10 AM
bump

Gothard
08-06-2008, 05:59 AM
I'd like to know too.
Where does one find 25mm Contis tubs?

MilanoTom
08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I have 'em (the older ProTection version with Gator Skin sidewalls and no Vectran belt) on my Grandis Overmax Light (featuring a beefy Max fork). I pump them to between 115 and 120 psi, and the ride is outstanding - far better than the 22mm version at the same pressure IMHO. They corner great as well and seem every bit as fast as the Comp 22mm. As a side note, on the advise of a local wrench, I also squirted in some Stans No-Tube sealant for a little extra puncture protection.

World Class Cycles has the new Vectran-belted version. They're not cheap, but without the Gatorskin, I bet that they ride even better than the ones I have. The Vectran belt probably improves puncture resistance over the old gazillion nylon plies, too.

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular_tires_only_cart.htm

I would not give up my Comp 25s for anything. Note, however, that they are fatter and have a higher profile than a standard Conti 22mm Comp. There's just enough clearance to the brake bridge, bottom bracket and fork crown on the Grandis, and there was no bottom bracket clearance on my Sachs.

Regards.
Tom

Giff
08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Tom,
Anyway you could get a measurement from the axle to the crown of the tire? That would help considerably.

Thanks!
Giff

djg
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
This may not be quite what you want, but I can tell you that the Conti Comp 25 fits very easily in the rear triangle of a CSi -- running an ouzo pro for a fork in front -- again, no problems -- if that gives you a useful reference point. I have one of the older orange ones on there now.

rphetteplace
08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I have the conti gp4000 tubular's in a 25. they're actually smaller than a 23 Michelin. Also on mine the sidewall is ripping out with about 800 miles on it.

MilanoTom
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I have the conti gp4000 tubular's in a 25. they're actually smaller than a 23 Michelin. Also on mine the sidewall is ripping out with about 800 miles on it.

The tubular is a whole different animal than a Conti clincher. The tubulars have a nice round profile, whereas I always thought the clincher looked more high than wide atmo. For reference, looking down at the top of the tire, the 25mm Comp is 25mm across.

Measured from the axle center, it's 34cm to the highest point of the tire (give or take a mm - I had to eyeball the measurement). For comparison, that's about 6mm higher than a Conti Sprinter and 5mm higher than a 23mm GP4000 clincher (again, both eyeballed).

Personally, I've had very good luck with Continental tires. To be honest, however, I'd probably be riding Vittoria Pave tubulars if they had butyl instead of latex tubes.

Regards.
Tom

rphetteplace
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
The tubular is a whole different animal than a Conti clincher. The tubulars have a nice round profile, whereas I always thought the clincher looked more high than wide atmo. For reference, looking down at the top of the tire, the 25mm Comp is 25mm across.

Measured from the axle center, it's 34cm to the highest point of the tire (give or take a mm - I had to eyeball the measurement). For comparison, that's about 6mm higher than a Conti Sprinter and 5mm higher than a 23mm GP4000 clincher (again, both eyeballed).

Personally, I've had very good luck with Continental tires. To be honest, however, I'd probably be riding Vittoria Pave tubulars if they had butyl instead of latex tubes.

Regards.
Tom

I'm a little confused by your post. I never said anything about Conti clinchers. I'm comparing a GP4000 tubular to a Michelin clincher. And yes they are less wide and less tall.

Pete Serotta
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Conti 25 will work!!! If you have a problem with them (rubbing front fork) I will buy them from you..... :D :D

Giff
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Conti 25 will work!!! If you have a problem with them (rubbing front fork) I will buy them from you..... :D :D

Pete and everyone else,
Thanks for the assist!

You know, I'll hold you to that if they don't!!! :D

giff

Pete Serotta
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I count on it.....> ;)

Pete and everyone else,
Thanks for the assist!

You know, I'll hold you to that if they don't!!! :D

giff

djg
08-07-2008, 07:48 PM

That's bad luck, at least. I have a pair of the 22s on the wheels I ride most days and they're holding up very well (must have at least your mileage -- probably more like 1000).

Where did you find 25s? They don't seem to be on the US Conti web site and world class cycles doesn't seem to have them either (not listed anyway).

paczki
08-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Where did you find 25s? They don't seem to be on the US Conti web site and world class cycles doesn't seem to have them either (not listed anyway).

They seem to have them http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular_tires_only_cart.htm

djg
08-07-2008, 11:17 PM
They seem to have them http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular_tires_only_cart.htm

I think that's a comp in a 25, but maybe I'll call and ask -- curious as much as anything else.

BillG
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I think that's a comp in a 25, but maybe I'll call and ask -- curious as much as anything else.

What's the difference between the Comp and the 4000S tubulars?

djg
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
What's the difference between the Comp and the 4000S tubulars?

Very different construction. The competition is an updated version of the competition that they've been making for quite some time. The GP4000 has the new 4000 tread, but it also has what appears to be a continuous casing -- there's virtually no extra base tape layer (just a very thin layer of fabric) and no apparent stitching or ridge under the base tape. I like the tires -- round, sticky in corners -- although I have no idea how you'd repair one if pit stop won't do it. The web site should have the details.