PDA

View Full Version : Assos Bib Shorts

Jim Braley
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I am trying to get the new FL 13 S5 Assos bib Shorts and they are very difficult to find at least for now. Yesterday I had someone tell me that the S5 Uno or Mille are every bit as good and particularly the Uno much less expensive. Does anyone have any experience with either the new S5 versions or the old S2 versions to provide some advice. Should I wait for the FL 13 to finally become avaialble or just go ahead and get one of the other two--Mille or Uno and end up with just as good a product.

kgrooney
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Can't go wrong with any Assos product. I do see the previous generation on sale pending the arival of the F5.

Sailorma
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I just bought a pair of assos bibs w/ the f1mille insert (assos 360), first ride last night and I love them. I bought them on line from competitive cyclist- they seem to have the best prices and selection. I could not stomach 300.00 for the latest and greatest assos shorts/bibs. Henry

gone
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I've got several pairs of the 1.3's and Mille's. Personally, I prefer the Mille's. The pad is a bit thicker but well shaped and I find them to be more comfortable when doing a series of long days. YBMV (your butt may vary!).

Pete Serotta
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Jim, I personally do not know but you can call Mike@CYCLESPORT ParkRidge NJ 201-391-5269 or MIKE@CYCLESPORTONLINE.COM:) or PAUL@ SIGNATURE CYCLE (NY) and ask them ( I would not be shocked if they can not get them or have some in stock. Another location would be IAN at Fitwerks in VT> I See you are in Georgia and the shop in BUCKHEAD (they are a SEROTTA dealer also) had ASSOS (plenty) when I was in there

I am trying to get the new FL 13 S5 Assos bib Shorts and they are very difficult to find at least for now. Yesterday I had someone tell me that the S5 Uno or Mille are every bit as good and particularly the Uno much less expensive. Does anyone have any experience with either the new S5 versions or the old S2 versions to provide some advice. Should I wait for the FL 13 to finally become avaialble or just go ahead and get one of the other two--Mille or Uno and end up with just as good a product.

Joe
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I just purchased a pair of FI Mille S5 shorts, also from Competitive Cyclist. I was concerned when I first tried the shorts on, as the “suspenders” are uncomfortably snug over the shoulders when I’m standing. The literature enclosed with the shorts says this is common, and indicates that the shorts should fit comfortably when you’re in a normal riding position on the bike, and I certainly found this to be true.

I’m approaching 60, and am just resuming cycling after being off my bike for several years. I found that, wearing my old bibs (also Assos, many years old), I was very uncomfortable on the seat after about an hour of riding. I used the new shorts for the first time last weekend, found them to be much more comfortable than my old ones, and was able to ride longer without discomfort.

I know this doesn’t answer your question about how these compare to the FL13, and I’m not able to suggest another product that might provide the same fit and quality for less $ (a lot of folks criticize Assos for being so expensive), but I was pleasantly surprised that my new shorts are so much more comfortable than the old ones.

Joe

RudAwkning
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I just took the new S5 Mille Bib on a double century this past weekend. Worked fine. Every bit as comfortable as the earlier Mille. The new chamois has the same shape, but is blue and has little "dimples" the size of skittles in it. You can't really feel them.

The new S5 Uno looks nice. THe chamois is shaped much more like the previous Mille.

I never liked the old Uno. I've got 4 pairs of them and only use them on shorter rides. They just don't provide the same level of comfort.

crossjunkee
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Has anybody a noticed a quality difference now that their products are being produced in a different place?

tys
08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
FYI, the Rapha bibs use the same chamois as the Assos F1 Mille and are cheaper and IMO nicer looking, more comfortable, and at least as well made.
I got them when the Assos were out of stock and now I'm hooked!

ksroadie
08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
...Does anyone have any experience with either the new S5 versions or the old S2 versions to provide some advice. Should I wait for the FL 13 to finally become avaialble or just go ahead and get one of the other two--Mille or Uno and end up with just as good a product.

Ribble Cycles (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk) has new Assos S5, Mille and Uno bibs available. Good deal for non EU folks (no tax and other discounts), although shipping is higher. I use both the Uno and S2 and don't really notice any difference in quality or comfort between them. Both are terrific. :) Be aware that euro fit runs smaller than typical USA gear.

garlog1
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I seem to be allergic to red chamois on Pearl Azumi. I am close to ordering a pair of Assos and would like to know if anyone has had any issues with Assos chamois?

ksroadie
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I seem to be allergic...issues with Assos chamois?

None. And I'm the sensitive type.

jsfoster
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
FYI, the Rapha bibs use the same chamois as the Assos F1 Mille

Is this true?

happycampyer
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Is this true?Hard to say if it's exactly the same, but it's made by the same company (Cytech) and it has a similar thickness and feel. Assos would probably say that their design is proprietary, different, better, etc., but they are pretty close (the Rapha chamois does have a seam down the center and the Assos doesn't; the Rapha has little perforations near the sit-bone area, the Assos doesn't, etc.). This is comparing the Rapha chamois to the older A.360 and not the S5 version of the F.I. Mille, which I haven't seen.

thinpin
08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
FWIW I changed from Assos to Giordana. The body clone stuff is superb, and fits me way better than the assos (esp Mille) ever did. Cham is just magic

jlwdm
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Colorado Cyclist has the S5s and has the old FI 13 on sale.

Haven't used the Assos bibs myself.

Jeff

link
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I like the new Mille stuff. I think that the turquoise Mille isn't as thick as the orange Mille. Or maybe it is as thick, but the dimples make it feel slimer.

The USA distributor has been having customs approval problems with Assos. Lot's of product has been delayed. That's their story. The S5 FI.MILLE didn't arrive till mid June and just in black. And even still all the colors aren't available. The S5 FI.13 will probably be release after Assos takes over USA distribution at the end of this month and break entirely from Ochsner.