PDA

View Full Version : I love Summer weather ...

Louis
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
NOT

The dew point in St Louis is now 78*

Saturday and Sunday evenings when I got home from my rides (dew point was 73*) I was just as wet as I would have been had I ridden for two hours in a pouring rain storm. This really isn't much fun.

Maybe I won't go for a ride today, except that tomorrow is probably going to be very similar...

dave thompson
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
NOT

The dew point in St Louis is now 78*

Saturday and Sunday evenings when I got home from my rides (dew point was 73*) I was just as wet as I would have been had I ridden for two hours in a pouring rain storm. This really isn't much fun.

Maybe I won't go for a ride today, except that tomorrow is probably going to be very similar...
Move to Spokane. Pretty low humidity high desert climate. Really great riding on many miles of rural farm roads. :)

chuckroast
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
You know, every August I get this weird pleasure in going out for a half dozen or so afternoon/evening rides in 95 plus degree weather just to say I did. Otherwise, I focus on early AM.

BumbleBeeDave
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
. . .in the past 8 days and go rained on three of those time. It's not so bad if you're actually riding in a pouring rain--once you're wet, you're wet, and the rain washes off the road grime and keeps you cool. But then it STOPS raining--and you start to sweat on the wet clothes and all the grime on the road just sticks to the bike . . . $%#@&!!!

BBD

39cross
08-05-2008, 06:40 AM
. . .all the frime on the road just sticks to the bike . . . $%#@&!!!BBD, you need fenders! Sounds like fun though. Had the same thing happen Sunday, except when I get rained on the sweat in my helmet's headband drips into my eyes and I can't see too well. Any suggestions - helmet fenders??

Erik.Lazdins
08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
This morning as I rolled out of the garage at 4:15AM for my usual 2 hrs - it was 85 degrees.

When I got back it had dropped to 82.

The high is forecast to be 103 today.

93legendti
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
It beats snow and temps in the teens...so these days I am getting out 2 x a day. I drink plenty of water and any ride is better than no ride.

benb
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Pretty sure I'd rather be hot & wet then cold & wet.

Temps in the high 80s with high humidity beats the pants off of 40 degrees and raining.

(I actually much prefer temps in the 20s or 30s with snow to temps in the 40s & 50s with rain)

Volant
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Pretty sure I'd rather be hot & wet then cold & wet.

Temps in the high 80s with high humidity beats the pants off of 40 degrees and raining.

(I actually much prefer temps in the 20s or 30s with snow to temps in the 40s & 50s with rain)

+1

I'll take high-90's and high humidity over 30-40's and raining ANY DAY.

Cdub
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Welcome to 5 months of our year down here in Houston. At least we have a tropical storm today and it is cooler. Need to convince my wife to drive out to a local town west of here to pick me up. Good tail wind ride.

Honestly, the storm is a non-event so far. Barely raining and very little wind.

93legendti
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=benb...(I actually much prefer temps in the 20s or 30s with snow to temps in the 40s & 50s with rain)[/QUOTE]

Same here...

BumbleBeeDave
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
This morning as I rolled out of the garage at 4:15AM for my usual 2 hrs - it was 85 degrees.

When I got back it had dropped to 82.

The high is forecast to be 103 today.

It was godawful hot, but I'd take two water bottles out the old North Road through Sand springs to Keystone Dam, where there was a state park with a store. I'd fill up the bottles there, drink a bottle of Gatorade while was there, and be good to go back into town. About a 55 mile ride as I recall.

BBD

crossjunkee
08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
What is a dew point? J/K!

I pray for moisture on rides! I can't remember the last time I actually saw a rain drop in Denver. We need it bad! We're less than 4 inches for the year so far.

Z3c
08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Stinkin' hot in KC as well. That's why I am moving to Tucson; lower summer temp index and lack of hail/sleet/snow/tornadoes/ice/torrential rains and anything I missed that the charming Mid-Worst has in spades.
July and August in Tucson are known as "monsoon season". They have on average 2" of rain for each of those months; last week it rained 6" overnight here.

One more winter..

Scott

dave thompson
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
About 55 when I went for my AM ride at 8:00, about 65 when I got home at 9:30, humidity about 20%. Dang I hate it when that happens! :)

TAW
08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
It beats snow and temps in the teens...so these days I am getting out 2 x a day. I drink plenty of water and any ride is better than no ride.

I love summer, and I always feel like I can ride when it's hot, but if there's snow on the ground, or low temperatures, I can't. I'd much rather ride when the temperature is 95 than when it's 15.

Kevan
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
after a wet ride, drying and crusting themselves to the back brake caliper, only to be discovered a day or two later?

You know what I'm talking about....