PDA

View Full Version : Quill adapter choices (Cinelli or Deda)

Keith A
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
With the increasing difficulty in finding quill stems, I'm considering using a quill adapter on one of my bikes. I have been looking at the offerings from Deda and Cinelli and wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with either of these? The Cinelli has "textured" surface where the stem clamps onto the adapter, whereas the Deda is smooth.

One of the things I wanted to find out was how long the clamp area is on both of these adapters. If anyone has either of these, I would really appreciate you measuring this for me.

http://www.dedaelementi.com/img/articoli/spada_Grande.jpghttp://www.cinelli.it/snap/prodotti/accessori/prodotto/quil.jpg

Brian Smith
10-20-2004, 06:44 PM
At least one of those is certainly hollow, and the other looks to be so.
The Nitto is solid, and is therefore not a huge noodle that will make you want
to buy a new fork pronto just to be rid of it.

Or at least that's my experience, "YMMV."

BumpyintheBurgh
10-22-2004, 10:20 AM
The Cinelli textured clamp area is 29mm with another 2mm of smooth area on top to the cap. Total length of adapter is 110mm. It weighs in at 74 grams.
Bought one but haven't used it yet.

Big Dan
10-22-2004, 11:05 AM
The Deda looks a lot like the one Nashbar offers for around $12 bucks. It's not bad at all. The Cinelli works, but is really small and the top cap is plastic. If I remember right you can use the same cap as the ones that come with the handlebar tape. bikeman.com and lickbike also carry one by Profile..
All of them work.. :)

Keith A
10-22-2004, 02:29 PM
BumpyintheBurgh & Big Dan - Thanks for the detailed information. This is just what I was looking for.

Now if anyone has the Deda details, that would be super.

Benjamin
10-22-2004, 02:37 PM
never used either of those, but i had a cheapy ($15?) adaptor (don't remember the brand, but it looks pretty identical to the Deda you posted) on my CSi (with threaded F1) for years and it gave me no problems at all.