PDA

View Full Version : Embrocations

kgrooney
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Does anyone have experience with warming oils and/or embrocations. Eventhough I stretch on a regular basis, I find early am rides requires additional methods to loosen up the muscles and joints.

rnhood
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Two or three ibuprofen about an hour or so before you ride. An alternative is to soak in a hot bath for about 5-10 minutes after you get up. Or, 10 minutes of warm up excercises. But, with even that the ibuprofen helps loosen up the muscle system.

Embrocation seems to localized for me and, I never saw much of a benefit when I tried it. I still favor the ibuprofen approach. With this in my system I warm up quickly upon commencing exercise.

tys
08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I had good luck with Record Pregara and Pregara Forte for cold morning starts on Ride the Rockies this year. The "Forte" is hotter for cooler days. It really seemed to help and allowed me to get by without knee warmers in the AM (although I sometimes needed them later in the day for descending the passes). The heat seemed to wear off by the time it got warm. I applied my sunscreen first, gave it some time to soak in while I did the rest of my morning routine, then put on the embrocation just before hitting the road.
It smells good , too!

tys

medici
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have experience with warming oils and/or embrocations. Eventhough I stretch on a regular basis, I find early am rides requires additional methods to loosen up the muscles and joints.

A friend who races swears by Fast Freddy's warming oil.

rwsaunders
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Do a Forum search, as Too Tall is quite up on the subject.

Ozz
08-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Qoleum (mild) seems to do the trick.