PDA

View Full Version : SAVE THE DATE: October 30, 2004

Spectrum Bob
10-20-2004, 01:32 PM
SAVE THE DATE: October 30, 2004

FOR: The 2004 Inaugural Great Pumpkin Ride (that’s right the great pumpkin ride)

WHAT: is the great pumpkin ride? It’s a bike ride on Halloween…where “all the good boys and girls will be paid a visit by the Great Pumpkin”

WHY: Beth and I are inviting you to join us for some harvest time fun. We’ll go for a ride and serve pumpkin pie and hot/cold cider. (good treats).
As always no one will get dropped (no tricks).

Since this is Halloween day, it is highly recommended that you and/or your be decorated for the occasion. That includes you Sandy!

Please RSVP by the October 23rd and we will provide more details.

See you here,
Spectrum Bob and family

Sandy
10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Bullet Bob and the Road Rocket. I will come as a pumpkin. It is easy to do- just paint myself orange.

Sandy

Kevan
10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Sandy-witch.

Most likely of the turkey variety. :D

pbbob
10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
sounds like fun. count me in.

Dekonick
10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
I work :(

Spectrum Bob
10-20-2004, 08:55 PM
We needed to change the date!

Sorry for any inconvenience but I had to change the date from Sunday the 31st to Saturday the 30th.

I hope Sandy and pbbob can still make it and that Saturday is better for Dekonick.

No more changes, I promise.

pbbob
10-20-2004, 08:56 PM
it works just fine.

Sandy
10-20-2004, 11:22 PM
I will be able to make it on the 30th also.

Sandman

Len J
10-21-2004, 06:39 AM
on Saturday, what can I bring?

Len

Bruce K
10-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Bob;

As much as I would like to get down to that area for a ride, that won't be the weekend.

Our club is hosting a double-header cyclocross weekend in my home town.
(see www.gloucestercross.com)

Besides volunteer work I will probably haul my carcass around in the Men's C race on Saturday. It'll be a heckuva way to spend my 51st B'day.

Have a wondeful ride.

BK

Serotta PETE
10-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Will see if Spokes can have his costume ready by then......PETE :rolleyes:

Spectrum Bob
10-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Bruce,
I checked out your club’s web-site and it looks like a great event. Good luck on your race and have a Happy Birthday! I can’t think of a better way to spend it.
Maybe you can make it down for the Second Annual Soup Ride in December?

Len,
No need to bring anything, but if you must what ever you think will go good with pumpkin pie.

Bruce K
10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks Bob.

What's the date/s for the Soup Ride? I'll see what I can do. I'm sure "trainer fever" will be starting to settle in by then.

BK

Too Tall
10-21-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm in!

Spectrum Bob
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
A quick update

Please feel free to show up around 9:30 and we will try to start the ride at 10:00

E-mail me if you need directions or if you have any questions.

Spectrum Bob

PS It’s not too late to sign up but need to know soon.

zap
10-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Bob,

I'll be there. PM directions please.

I just started riding the road bike again, so everyone, please be kind.

:beer:

Ken Robb
10-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure this is way too far from San Diego for me to attend but where do you live/ride??

Spectrum Bob
10-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Sorry Ken,
I live a little fare here in Kensington MD
Maybe the soup ride in December?
Spectrum Bob

Sandy
10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
First, I read that Too Tall, aka Too Strong aka Too Fast aka Snandy Crusher, is going to Bob's ride.

Then I find out that Flydhest aka Super Fly aka Super Fast is coming on the ride, along with the Doctor aka Billy Goat.

I already knew that Road Rocket and Bullet Bob will be there, as hosts normally are.

I heard that Too Tall's wife, Somewhat Shorter aka Speed Demon, may also be coming.

Now I read that Zap aka Super Speedy, is not only coming, but that the Zapster wants us to be kind to him- Right Zapster, be kind, you say. I am going to try to make you road kill, prior to the departure of the ride, since with very good reason, I feel as if I may not be seeing the group too much after that.

Oh, I haven't forgotten Keno, always in secret training- track, road , time trials, and who knows what.

Then I think that perhaps Zip will accompany Zap, and Somewhat Shorter will be accompany Too Tall. Both pairs possibly on tandems. Now that would be a scarey sight- Tandems riding at close to breaking the sound barrier speed.

Spoke, I need a BIG favor. I want to borrow your "biggest badest" motorcycle that you have. I promise I will learn how to ride it sometime during Bob's and Mrs. Bob's ride. I will pay for the gas, or whatever you put in it.

Who is going to sign up next to come to the ride? Ben Serotta? Tom Kellogg, Lance Armstrong? :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

So Scared,

Sandy aka Snandy aka Bambi (thanks Too Tall) aka Snailman

pbbob
10-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I'll be there. please pm me directions please. I am so looking forward to this after sitting in class all this week in alexandria!

keno
10-27-2004, 05:19 PM
IN!

Serotta, Spectrum, Serotta, Spectrum...she loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me not. Ah, I'll just bring a bike the name of which starts with "S".

keno

Too Tall
10-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Bambi, relax. Hair tour director BubsplatbuddahBob ordered me to lead a scenic "no drop" tour. If I want my contract renewed I'd better toe the line. F.Y.I. this will be a 3 hr. ride planned with one or two surprise scenic stops. Bring a camera. Ride leaves 10am shaaa-p. Speeders will be humiliated :cool:

Smiley
10-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Karen and I are in but for maybe a shortened version , what do we ride ?? I was hoping fixed gear but now I am thinking tandem ?

Keno , drop by and pick out your future hotel room , we should be under roof by this weekend .

Spectrum Bob
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
FYI
Beth is thinking of riding a short version of the ride – it’s our turn to bring snacks for our daughter’s soccer game.

Tom Kellogg
10-28-2004, 08:37 AM
This side of weather warnings of another hurricane, I'll be there with bells on. I plan to make my Aunt Lynn's Ginger Snap recipe. Y'all will love them. See you at B&B's.

Smiley
10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Hey Tom bring down a 58 cm steel demo frame .......

Sandy
10-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Forget the bike for Smiley. Forget your bike. Forget the Ginger Snap cookies.

Bring your beautiful lab. I will walk her and play with her. :)

Bow Wow Sandy

Sandy
10-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I spent a lot of money putting my daughter, Robyn, through Kellogg's business school, at which she got 2 master's degrees. Does that mean I get a free Kellogg Spectrum steel bike? No, I won't be satisfied with a box of Kellogg cereal.

Waiting for my free Kellogg steel Spectrum,

Serotta Sandy, soon to be- Serotta Spectrum Sandy

Kevan
10-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Sandy's off his lead again running wild through the neighborhood. Would someone please open their car door so he thinks he's being offered a ride. I'll be by to collect him shortly. Please keep the windows partially opened so he can stick his head out and not drool on your upholstery. Thanks :D

Sounds like a wonderful weekend folks, wish I could be there.

Sandy
10-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Did you just say that you won't be there? Sounds like a wonderful weekend folks. Actually, they will miss you. Ok, even Sandy will miss you. :)

Slobering Sandy

Actually, if you were coming, we would have to start earlier in order to finish the ride before dark.

Tom Kellogg
10-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Sorry Sandy. Colby can't come. It has to be me and my cookies. I'll just drop off the cookies and head back home. If you haven't had my aunt Zoe's ginger snaps, you are in for a treat.

No 58s either. I ride a 54 with a 58 top tube. Your legs will be bunched up but it is long enough for you to take a spin. See you at B&B's

Smiley
10-28-2004, 09:11 PM
That's what I call an old fashion compac frame . Bring that sucker down and we'll jack up the post and ride it in a tuck position .

Tom Kellogg
10-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Actually, it is a compact as well as being built for a bit of a freak. I don't look all that long waisted, but i do need a very long reach for such a little guy. If you guys are interested, I can explain why I need a bike like mine once we have a few hot aged ciders. As it turns out, I have a fair amount of post left in the frame for just what you had in mind.

Too Tall
10-29-2004, 07:21 AM
See this is why you bring a camera. Tom on my bike and me on his. Neither one of us had better clip in.

Sandy
10-29-2004, 07:30 AM
You have a choice, a very significant one: Sandy and his SEROTTA Ottrott ST will be at the ride. Tom Kellogg and his SPECTRUM will be at the ride.

If you choose your Spectrum, Serotta Sandy will be very hurt, depressed, and may start to cry. He is your friend. Would you do that to him?????

If you choose your Serotta :) , Colby told me in dog language (growls, nips, bites, and barks) that Tom Kellogg will be very angry and will ask for his bike back. :butt:

So Keno, you have a choice- Bring your SPECTRUM or bring your SEROTTA.

I am starting to get depressed.......

:) Sobbing Serotta Sandy :)

Tom Kellogg
10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Too:
You may be able to clip in if you bend your knees enough, but unless I get inside your front triangle, I won't have a chance.

Sandy:
If Colby finds out that Ken doesn't bring his Spectrum, he will be in for a big licking next time he comes over here for advice.

keno
10-29-2004, 09:06 AM
keno will be taking his first ride with road pedals AND road shoes. If all goes well, keno will not be doing an Artie Johnson.

Sandy, two things; first, if you keep up that kind of talk I'll get you a cadence meter for Hanukah, and second, no matter how much you beg, I will not let you ride the Spectrum tomorrow (of course, only if I bring it, like duh).

Tom, here's a hint, "Vanna, I'll take a P."

Smiley, glad to hear you and the lovely Karen are in, and that the project is about to be closed in. Let's cruise by and take a look. Maybe you can get TT to put your house on the route.

Anyone, why is there a slot in the sole of the Shimano shoes? I know it means something as there is a corresponding one in the inner sole.

Pre-Kudos and -thanks to SpectrumBob and Beth in anticipation of a great time!

keno

Kevan
10-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Want to borrow my Calfee?

That way Sandy would provide the fireworks for the day's event. :D

Sandy
10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
".....he will be in for a big licking next time he comes over here for advice."

a. Who will do the licking, you (beating) or Colby (tongue)?
b. Who does Keno go to for advice, you or Colby?

Eating some Colby Cheese,

Swiss Sandy

Too Tall
10-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks Beth and Buddahbugsplatbob for being such fine hosts.
Pics of the crime(s):
BBB himself -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB1.JPG
Everyone at the Einstein Statue -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB2.JPG
At the new Dub-yah Dub-yah II Memorial -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB3.JPG
At the FDR Memorial (Nobody was arrested) -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB4.JPG
Nice ears (Queen AKA TT's better half) -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB5.JPG
TT and Queen -
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/BBBride/BBB6.JPG

Tom Kellogg
10-30-2004, 07:34 PM
B&B:
You are wonderful hosts. It was an honor and treat to finally meet all the DC area posters to this forum. Wonderful ride. I had not been to the monument area of DC since my protest days in the very early '70s. The Vietnam and WW2 memorials were new to me. Very moving and even more meaningful being there with friends on bicycles.

For those who were there, especially Seth! (and anyone else who reads this) here is my Aunt Zoe's Ginger Snap recipe;

1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Butter or other shortening
1 Egg
½ Cup dark Molasses
1 Tablespoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon powdered cloves
½ teaspoon ginger
2 cups flour
Cream together Sugar & Shortening then add Egg and Molasses. Add dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon. Make into 1" balls and bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Permit to mostly cool before trying to get them off the cookie sheet.

Smiley
10-30-2004, 09:13 PM
LOAD UP on them cookies Seth , its the only way we are going to slow you down :banana:

Spectrum Bob
10-31-2004, 07:35 AM
I don’t know about anyone else but I had a wonderful time with the crew yesterday.

It was a great turnout considering the weather. Sandy, Too Tall and his wife Almost as Tall, Tom Kellogg, Flydhest, Keno, Len J, pbbob, George, Paul, Smiley and my wife Luna joined me on the ride. Zap showed up to see us off but didn’t ride.

Too Tall promised a 3 hour tour--- --the weather started getting rough our tiny crew was… well, the ride took more like 5 ½ hours, but who was checking when we were having so much fun.

The ride headed towards Potomac; Too Tall kept everyone’s speed in check. Our first interesting encounter was the Halloween Parade in Potomac. Too Tall definitely had his debutant wave down pat as we joined the parade for about a block.
Then we headed into DC along the Clara Barton Pkwy. My apologies to pbbob and Paul, since the boys at the front changed the route and we lost them. Flydhest had his first mishap as he went back trying to find our friends and flatted.

We rolled thru Georgetown and down to the DC monuments. Our first stop was the statue of Albert Einstein, then came the Vietnam Memorial, the new Word War II Memorial and we finished up at the Roosevelt Memorial.
Then we took a quick lap around Haines Point. On the backstretch, Too Tall, Flydhest and Tom took off and no one could catch them..
Shortly afterwards, Flydhest was challenging me to a sprint. Just as we were winding it up, he dropped his chain between his small cog and frame and locked up his rear wheel. Those behind us saw his bike jump 2 feet sideways. Thankfully Flydhest managed to keep it upright. It was the first time I ever beat Flydhest in sprint.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. We were welcomed home by pbbob who was sitting on my front stoop in his wizard costume. Luna had a cornucopia of fall treats waiting for us when we arrived (she headed home from Georgetown directly and didn’t do the monument tour). Tom’s Ginger Snap cookies exceeded my expectations. Besides being a great frame builder, he can bake a mean ginger snap cookie (now if he can only remember which aunt gave him the recipe).
Thanks to all for showing up, I will post my photos on Monday.
Spectrum Bob & Luna

Len J
10-31-2004, 08:15 AM
Kudos go to Bob & Beth for bringing together the day.

Thanks also to Too Tall for leading the ride.

Thanks to Seth for the entertainment and demonstration of Bike handling skills.

Ton, The Ginger Snaps were great.

Everyone else, the company couldn't have been better.

Great day!

Len

flydhest
10-31-2004, 09:18 AM
A good time was had by all, I do believe. I'll be switching to my tubular wheels as the flat was all the way through the tire and acrobatic maneuver did some damage to the wheel. . . . honey, can I buy a new wheelset, please?

The photo at the Einstein statue is great. TooTall, thanks for posting.

Tom, you evil, evil man. I must have eaten two dozen of those cookies! Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure I'll be baking several batches in the very near future. You said they were low calorie . . . right???

The scenery was beautiful. I was worried that we weren't going to have much autumnal color this year, but luckily, I was mistaken. Gooooorgeous.

Most importantly, a big thanks to the hosts. Truly generous and it is much appreciated.

Sandy
10-31-2004, 10:47 AM
Let's first take the snap out of the Ginger Snap cookies. After everyone left, I was graciously invited in to visit some more. Taking a few of the delicious cookies home to my wife, I happened to turn the cookie container over and noticed the following stamped on the bottom:

Made in Saratoga Springs
Recipe by Ginger aka M A Martin
Baked by Master Chef B. Serotta

First Tom said the recipe was Aunt Lynn's and then he said Aunt Zoe's recipe. I think it was Aunt Ginger's recipe, baked by Uncle Ben, not as in Uncle Ben's Rice, but as in Uncle Ben's nutricious delicious cycling goodies.

Shame! Shame!!!!! Shame!!!!!!!!!!

:) Shameless Serotta Sandy :)

Sandy
10-31-2004, 10:56 AM
I enjoyed the entire day! Great people, riding, and after ride party.

Tom Kellogg and Ben Serotta are so similar- Genuine, friendly, gracious, sincere, and personable in a very giving and straight forward manner. In addition, both produce some of the very finest bikes in the world. Ben even bakes cookies for Tom who distributes them world wide for free. It could have been a world wide money machine, but Tom was already jealous with Ben and Jerrys ice cream and wouldn't go along with Ben and Toms cookies. I have suggested Sandys and Bens and Toms cookies. Neither would go along with that.

Mrs. Too Tall and Len- I geuinely appreciate your kindness to me.

S A N D Y

keno
10-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Frogman and Beth. Thank you for making another terrific ride and get together happen.

Too Tall, a truly great route! Encore!

Thank you, again.

keno

Sandy
11-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Next year. You and me. Haines Point. I'll give you a little lead. We will race. You will win. I will lose.

Confident Sandy

Sandy
11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Next year. You and me. Haines Point. I will give you a little lead. We will race. You will win BIG time. I will lose Big time.

Losing More Confidence,

Sandy

Len J
11-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Next year. You and me. Haines Point. I will give you a little lead. We will race. You will win BIG time. I will lose Big time.

Losing More Confidence,

Sandy

I'd bet that the gap would have been bigger last year.........................

and will be smaller next year.

Fly would kick most of our buttocks in a sprint.........the question for me is "Am I improving?"; "Am I enjoying myself?"

My uncle, who taught me how to sail, said one time "There is always a bigger faster boat out there." The same is true for most things.

How you measure yourself is what is the key to centerdness.....is it reasonable?

Hang in there.

Len

flydhest
11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Len,

Not if I don't do some bike maintenance first . . . d'oh!

Sandy
11-01-2004, 11:21 AM
I was really hoping that I could do Super Fly's maintenance. If so, I would bet on Sandy. He would never finish the race.

Gaining Confidence,

Sandy

Len J
11-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Len,

Not if I don't do some bike maintenance first . . . d'oh!

Maybe it's a balance between maintenance and Bike handling drills.

Len

Len J
11-01-2004, 12:30 PM
I was really hoping that I could do Super Fly's maintenance. If so, I would bet on Sandy. He would never finish the race.

Gaining Confidence,

Sandy

Len

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Zap, Almost as Tall & Paul

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
George & pbbob

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Keno

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Pbbob, Paul, Len J & Sandy

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Luna

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Tom Kellogg, Too Tall, Len & Smiley

Spectrum Bob
11-02-2004, 03:03 PM
My bike in costume

Sandy
11-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Nice start. But it is only a small start.

Super Smart Sandy

Too Tall
11-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Clearly these people dig bicycles.
These simple, durable and beautiful things are just a delight aren't they? For as long as I can I'll stay buried in the culture and sport of all things cycling related. In my spare time I'll do a little cooking and hanging out at work ;)

Thanks guys, you are are fun fun fun to play with.