PDA

View Full Version : OT: who's watching sox-yanks?

Climb01742
10-20-2004, 08:12 AM
as you can imagine, here in beantown, all anyone is watching or talking (and not sleeping) about are the sox. i was curious...are folks in other places very interested? is this a regional, new york and north thing? or is it bigger? BTW...shilling is, IMO, a one tough SOB and gutty as h*ll...and go sox!!!!!!!!!!! :D

bulliedawg
10-20-2004, 08:21 AM
as you can imagine, here in beantown, all anyone is watching or talking (and not sleeping) about are the sox. i was curious...are folks in other places very interested? is this a regional, new york and north thing? or is it bigger? BTW...shilling is, IMO, a one tough SOB and gutty as h*ll...and go sox!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Me. And been late to work several times because of it. My two older brothers live in Pepperell, Ma. and Morrisville, Vt. So, I'm pulling for the Sox. But the late nights are killing me.

aj4e
10-20-2004, 08:28 AM
i have watched every game nearly in its entirety. i fall asleep on the couch every night though right before the end of the game so i never know who won until the next morning. it is rather frustrating. even more frustrating though is having to secretly root for the red sox since i watch the games with three die hard yankee fans. :argue: being from NY doesn't make it any easier - i kind of feel like a traitor.

i can say though that i am glad it is over tonight because i have been waiting a week to watch the recording of the episode of ER that i missed last thursday night. of course the one night i miss it Serotta is mentioned - what are the odds!

(go sox!) ;)

Jeff N.
10-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Danged RIGHT I'm watching it!!! This is baseball history in the making, bro! And yes, Shilling has huge brass ones. Its gonna get nasty in Yankee Stadium tonight (I intensely dislike the Yanks), especially after the Bo-Sox win the pennant. And it'll be even crazier in downtown Boston! I'm not sure I'd wanna be there. Better button the hatches! Who are the starting pitchers today? Anybody know?
Jeff N
ER: I remember the ER doc said something about it being ridiculous to own a 6K bicycle. I agree. It should be at least 7 or 8K,

Sandy
10-20-2004, 08:31 AM
We don't really agree on the importance of the weight of a bike, but we do agree on one thing: We are both rooting for Boston. The Yankees have won enough times. Boston has made a remarkable comeback. Shilling pitched a great game, to say the least.

I am looking forward to the final game. I think that it will either be very close initially, with Boston, hopefully winning by a few runs, or the Yankees will get their potent offense rolling, very early in the game, and it will be over rather quickly. I am rooting for Boston to make it 4 in a row and then win the World Series. :)

I went to Tufts University, outside of Boston, and used to root for the Celtics when they were having great series against Wilt Chamberlain led teams. :)

Go Charlie On The MTA!!!! :banana: :banana:

Sandy

Tom
10-20-2004, 08:33 AM
A Sox fan down here in an area infested with Yankee fans.

I did watch the eighth inning the other night. The pans of the crowd had me rolling around on the floor. The kids peeking between their fingers, the other kids going "ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease"...

Unfortunately, as a Sox fan I know that there is only one Immutable Truth in the whole universe.

They're going to lose.

Sandy
10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
RUMORS are that Supersonic Speedy Spinning Spitball Sender Serotta Sandy seemingly should start.

Both teams are vehemently denying such.

SSSSSSS is already talking trash to both teams.

Sending SSSSSSS'S Super Slow Special Sinker,

:banana: Sunk Sandy :banana:

dbrk
10-20-2004, 08:47 AM
I grew up in Jersey so close to the Bronx that you could see the glow of The Stadium from the backyard. Elston Howard visited me in the hospital when I did something stupid and hurt myself as a kid. I got roots. I also lived in Boston for the better part of the '80s when I wasn't in India and since graduate school was torture for its unrelenting pressure (we called it "ace it or face it" because you could be five, six years into the program and be "asked to leave", this being routine...), I have not one truly fond memory of living there except for baseball. I would walk down to the Fenway to sit in the stands for free after the 7th inning. Now that's a good memory.

But as good as this baseball is, I find it hard to care anymore. 'Feel the same way about pro cycling. I mean, I am entertained more by baseball and cycling than other sports but it's lost its appeal. I loved baseball as much as anything as a kid, except for maybe my bike. The increased theatrical focus rather than just the game and Fox's coverage with its constant peering into the stands, annoying sound effects, and reiterative music makes it, for me, nearly unbearable. The game on the radio the other night as I was driving my kids around was far better in the mind and heart. I confess to having stayed up both these last two nights which may account for the grumpy reply.... I feel like crap and I want to really, really just love the game as I once did. But like so many things, I liked it better as a kid. Except my bike. I love my bike now even more than I did as a kid.

dbrk
if you haven't seen Jon Stewart's half hour of Crossfire on CNN go watch it here: http://homepage.mac.com/njenson/movies/jonstewartcrossfire.html

christian
10-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Of course. Baseball is now substituting for sleep at my house.
Go Sox.

- Christian

Matt Barkley
10-20-2004, 09:27 AM
About as bad (hours of TV) as when the Tour was on this past Summer - but I end up drinking more beer rooting for the SOX!!! :beer:

quattro
10-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm going with my 11 year old son's prediction from before the Yankee/Sox series started; Yankees in 7, A-Rod hits game winning homer. GO YANKS!!

djg
10-20-2004, 10:12 AM
watching, even outside Boston and that little town to the south of Connecticut.

Moveitfred
10-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Don't know what this series is, but I'm watching. I live in Yankeeland now (imagine entering my 8am class this morning to a room full of semi-conscious college students slumped over wearing Yankee caps to hold their brains together) but grew up in Los Angeles following the Dodgers on TV and radio through the voice of Vin Scully--a man who had the confidence and smarts to let the game on the field tell the story. Equal to my appreciation for the riveting drama on the field is my distaste for the television coverage. Sheesh, what a garbled mess. Perhaps some day we will have the option to flip to channel 3496 and watch coverage from one camera with little or no commentary. Oh well...I grow old...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled...

jerk
10-20-2004, 11:54 AM
baseball is called honkball in flemish. lowe pitches a three hitter and peetie comes in for the save. ortiz homers after that punk brown drills him earlier in the game. then the aliens and the trilateral commission take over the country and elvis is found alive and well in osama bin laden's cave with living wooly-mammoths.

davids
10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately, as a Sox fan I know that there is only one Immutable Truth in the whole universe.

They're going to lose.
I watch the games in complete agony. Last night around midnight, I became aware that, although I'd been sitting motionless for half an hour, my heart was pounding like a hammer...

Even in victory, I'm overcome by the dread of what's coming next. But I can't take my eyes off the game.

I am a Red Sox fan. :bike:

bcm119
10-20-2004, 12:08 PM
I just got back from visiting my brother in Boston. At one of our pub stops, Doyle's, I chatted with a guy who grew up in the same house as his fatha and grandfatha- down in Dawchestah. He said he was a Yanks fan. I asked how that could be, and he said he lost 13 grand on the Sox one year in the 80's.
"Yanks fan evah since."

The Harpoon ipa was fantastic. As for me, don't care about baseball.

scottcw
10-20-2004, 12:41 PM
I am almost afraid to go tonight. Not just the outcome of the game, but the potential for rioting and fear for my personal safety.

Kevan
10-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't watch baseball and now I'm hooked, I too got to work late today because of it all. To you beaner's... my hat's off and turned inside out to you. Even though I live less than 30 minutes from Ruth's house my heart goes out to the Boston fan. Also, Fenway is a wonderful park. :cool:

Jeff N.
10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I am almost afraid to go tonight. Not just the outcome of the game, but the potential for rioting and fear for my personal safety.I can't say I blame you, man. Good luck, and let us all know how it went. Jeff N.

Redturbo
10-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Down here we consider all of youall Yankees, my moneys on the Stros.

turbo

Johny
10-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Down here we consider all of youall Yankees, my moneys on the Stros.

turbo

"It is just like the kingfisher and the clam in Chinese story. When a clam exposed itself to the sun, a kingfisher struck its beak into it. The clam immediately closed its shell and caught the beak of the kingfisher. The kingfisher said to the clam: Today it will not rain, tomorrow it will not rain, then you must die. "The clam retorted:" Today you will not get out, tomorrow you will not get out, then will die the kingfisher." Then came a fisherman who caught both the kingfisher and the clam. Therefore both of them became the victims of the fisherman."

Are the Stros gonna be the fishermen? :)

keno
10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
good money not to feel like I have been feeling watching these games. Saw Joe D, the Mick, Yogi and the rest at the old stadium as a kid, but 37 years in Boston changed whatever impression that made forever. Will I suffer tonight? No doubt about it. Being a Red Sox fan is eternally riding the final 10% of a never-ending hill.

keno

christian
10-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I am almost afraid to go tonight.

Scott, if fear gets the better of you, I can meet you on a dark corner with cash in small non-sequential bills anywhere on Manhattan. :D

Go Sox!
- Christian

scottcw
10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Scott, if fear gets the better of you, I can meet you on a dark corner with cash in small non-sequential bills anywhere on Manhattan. :D

Go Sox!
- Christian

Already sold, I think... I was not kidding. I am not going to get caught up in a riot control action. I can pay for the entire ALCS by selling this one game. If we lose, I do not have to watch the Sox celebrate on our field. If we win, I have WS tickets.

Tom Byrnes
10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
I have been watching all of the LCS games. What great series - both the Yankees-Red Sox and the Astros-Cardinals. Makes it hard to get much work done.

It has been a great month of baseball. While Pro Football may be the big money professional sport these days, since mid-September, the races for post season playoff spots and the playoff games have been wonderful.

The Red Sox - what can you say? I have lived in California all of my life, never seen a live baseball game outside of California, yet find myself rooting as hard for the Red Sox as the Boston fans in Fenway.

"America's Pastime".

:beer: :beer: :beer:
:banana: :banana: :banana:
:) :) :)

csb
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
live in jersey city, the sixth boro
born + raised wicked close to boston by
parents from upstate new york

Bill Bove
10-20-2004, 04:34 PM
I think the happiest day of my life was when Bill Buckner let that ground ball go through his legs. I knew with all my soul that after losing in such a way that there was no other worse thing that could happen to the Sox and that the next night I would see them win The World Series for sure. I was almost giddy all day. I think the only thing in my life that has been as disapointing as that was Don Gibson killing us in the 7th game in '67

The patriots started the year right winning The Superbowl in Jan, the Sox are going to win the series in Oct and Kerry will be declared the winner in Dec!!!

dirtdigger88
10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I just have two words. . . GO CARDS :banana:

jason

gasman
10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
I root for two baseball teams. The Giants (with a just one more win year :crap: )and any team playing the Yankees !! Go Boston. I would love to see a Boston-Houston World Series. :banana:

molly22
10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
It's Mickey Mantle's birthday for goodness sakes.

Kevan
10-21-2004, 06:56 AM
I can get some sleep.

Congrats Boston, hope you win.

keno
10-21-2004, 07:53 AM
YES!

davids
10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Stunning. Surreal. Euphoric. After three nights of agony, it was almost too easy.

Astros? Cardinals? Who cares? Bring 'em on!
:banana: :D :banana: :D :banana: :D :banana: :D :banana:

Jeff N.
10-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Stunning. Surreal. Euphoric. After three nights of agony, it was almost too easy.

Astros? Cardinals? Who cares? Bring 'em on!
:banana: :D :banana: :D :banana: :D :banana: :D :banana:Ahhh...A beautiful thing, wasn't it? The Yanks humiliated? I thought I saw Steinbrenner sticking the barrel of a .38 in his mouth up in his luxury box! (No, but I'da loved to've seen the look on his mug) The Red Sox are a pure class act. Cards'll wrap it up tonight. Then we'll have one helluva World Series to watch. Lotsa rain here in San Diego, so I'll work on my bikes in the garage and watch on the TV I have out there. Sox'll take it all. In 5. Jeff N.

Climb01742
10-21-2004, 08:27 AM
as jackie gleason used to say...HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff N.
10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
as jackie gleason used to say...HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :DYou betcha, Climb! Bet they're partying HARD in the Boston area! Lotsa sick calls this AM! :beer: Jeff N.

Bruce K
10-21-2004, 09:24 AM
All I can say is WOW!! :banana: :banana:

Let's see, do we want Houston to win so Clemens has to come back and pitch in Fenway? Or do we want St. Louis so we get a re-match of 1967? The baseball drama just keeps rolling along.

On top of all that, I didn't think there was much that could happen that would take the Patriots off the sports radar screen in Boston. And they paly the Jets this weekend! :crap:

I'll second a night or two of decent sleep before we start all over again.

Hey Keno, how's it feel today to be the solitary Sox fan in the middle of all those depressed pin stripe lovers? :D

BK

Dr. Doofus
10-21-2004, 11:05 AM
The 1977 Luis Tiant and Bill Lee baseball cards were proudly displayed on the Doc's desk today.

Bradford
10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
That was one of the best moments of my life.

For those of you who don't understand how big of a deal this is for Red Sox Nation, ESPN has a great article on what it felt like for us. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041021

Redturbo
10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey not to rain on sox fans parade, it was a great series. but, there still is THE CURSE to deal with. :banana: :no: :banana:

turbo

Bruce K
10-21-2004, 01:08 PM
RT-

If there ever was one it was between Boston and New York.

I tend to think this past week buried alot of those ghosts for good.

You guys still have to beat the red birds but it will make for an interesting series if Houston gets there.

Clemens vs his old team :D
North vs South :cool:
Wild West vs staid New England :rolleyes:
Bush country vs Kerry country :crap:

And on and on it will go.

At least we'll get to get some sleep tonight and get to work in a bit more normal state while you guys get to burn the midnight oil and drag your butts into work tomorrow.

BK

Redturbo
10-21-2004, 01:15 PM
The BABE didn't say they will never beat the yanks. :no: He said never win the World Series.

turbo

scottcw
10-21-2004, 01:17 PM
RT-

If there ever was one it was between Boston and New York.

I tend to think this past week buried alot of those ghosts for good.

Actually, the "curse" was that Boston would never win another WS after they sold Ruth. Boston has won the pennant several times while the Yankees stayed home, but the Yankees have a 26-0 edge on World Series. Should Boston win this year, they will be right up there with the Arizona Diamondbacks (1 WS) and still lagging behind the mighty Florida Marlins and NY Mets (2 each).

The thing that I find hilarious is all of the woodwork Boston fans that are out today. I am a season ticket holder for the Yankees and was at most of the games and all of the play-offs this year. I doubt that most of the people walking around NY today wearing a Boston hat even owned a Boston hat before Game 6. What do they call that... bandwagon fans?

My biggest silver lining in all this is the hope that Joe Torre will finally be fired. The curtain is up that he is one of the worst situational managers in baseball. Bring Bobby V. back to NY, but not the Mets!

Tom
10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
... I doubt that most of the people walking around NY today wearing a Boston hat even owned a Boston hat before Game 6. What do they call that... bandwagon fans?

Correct. A few years ago they were Mets fans.

I do enjoy seeing the Yankees do things that nobody's ever done before.

Climb01742
10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
how bush league is a-rod?

scottcw
10-21-2004, 02:10 PM
how bush league is a-rod?

:rolleyes:

Climb01742
10-21-2004, 02:22 PM
fair enuf. oddly, a-rod has made me appreciate jeter more. jeter is a class act. pedro is a bit of a head case. he's our head case, but one nevertheless.

TmcDet
10-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Actually, the "curse" was that Boston would never win another WS after they sold Ruth. Boston has won the pennant several times while the Yankees stayed home, but the Yankees have a 26-0 edge on World Series. Should Boston win this year, they will be right up there with the Arizona Diamondbacks (1 WS) and still lagging behind the mighty Florida Marlins and NY Mets (2 each).

Actually Boston has won the World Series 5 times, but they haven't won it since 1918...they won in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916 and in 1918.

Dr. Doofus
10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
The Doc has asked several "Boston" fans these questions today:

What do Bobby Doerr, Pumpsie Green, Jerry Remy, Jody Reed and Marty Barrett all have in common?

Who hit the homer off Lee in the 7th game of the '75 series, after the rain delay? What pitch was it?

Who tied for the AL lead in home runs in 1981 and had the arm of God from right field?

If you can't answer these, you's a poser! (the rain delay was in the 7th game, right?....head is getting foggy on the trivia)

(Red Sox second basemen; Tony Perez (who played for the Sox under Ralph Houk), "eephus" slow curve; Dwight By God Evans)

keno
10-21-2004, 02:55 PM
I hope he is our head case for, at the most, seven more games. I just hope that he shows up in the next week and a half. I nearly threw up when he came in in the seventh last night; it seemed to evoke some dark memory of a mere year ago not to mention about a month ago. Next time Pedro says "put me in coach", that's exactly what I would want to happen, that he be put in coach on any flight out of town.

keno

Dr. Doofus
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Don't mess with Pedro: Oil Can's head, but Lonnie's talent. Name a better number 2 starter in baseball.

scottcw
10-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Actually Boston has won the World Series 5 times, but they haven't won it since 1918...they won in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916 and in 1918.

0 since they sold Ruth to finance No, No, Nanette.

aj4e
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM

ok, so i am ignorant at worst, uninformed at best. but either way, what year did the sox trade babe ruth to the yankees?

p.s. i have no idea about the answers to the Doc's questions, but i am no poser. i never claimed to be an actual red sox fan, just that i was rooting for them as opposed to the yanks in this series.

(edited for clarity/ grammar)

Dr. Doofus
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
The Red Sox organization didn't sell him...the jackass owner Harry Frazee did (what the h*** kind of name is Frazee anyway? It sounds like it needs to go on some godawful 100% synthetic processed fake food crap in neon colors sold to kids New Frozen Snack Crazee Frazee only causes cancer in lab mice eat 500 every day now kids it won't make you obese but it may drive your folks to drink like munson and we ain't talking thurman whatever....)

Bruce K
10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
VERY.

I am so very glad he ended up NOT on the Red Sox.

The team as it is constitued (post-Nomar) has a very Patriot-esque feeling to it. Lots of really talented guys with a couple on "names".

In the end I think it was the Sox pitching depth that carried them through.

Sox in 5 !!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

BK

dirtdigger88
10-21-2004, 06:14 PM
GO CARDS!!!!!

jason

Kevin
10-21-2004, 06:44 PM
I was at last nights game. I was stupid enough to get a luxury box for the game. As a result, I think that I was one of the last spectators to get out of the stadium and one of the last cars to get out of the lot. I did not get home until 2:30 am. I am looking forward to getting a little sleep tonight. I congratulate all of the Red Sox fans.

Kevin

Redturbo
10-21-2004, 07:02 PM
It could be worse, you could be a dolphins fan like me. :crap:

bcm119
10-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Or a fan of a certain game played with a puck on ice. :crap:

jerk
10-21-2004, 08:39 PM
they deserved it after the SOBs had the balls to have BUCKY FKN DENT throw out the first pitch. under what rock did they find that guy? it would have at least exhibited a semblence of class to have mr. october throw out the first pitch...but bucky fkn dent...for once the morons from landsdowne street have it right. yankees suck.

(don't discount peetie. 97mph kids. 97 mph. the jerk goes out on a limb and predicts pedro will throw a perfect game at some point in the world series. but then again he once pegged pavel tonkov as a tour de france winner and told him it to his face.)

BillyBear
10-21-2004, 11:20 PM
great quote on espn page 2 the other day...being a yankee fan is like watching the blackjack table and rooting for the house...gotta believe...gonna happen...