PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle classics on ebay?

stuckey
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Has anyone dealt with them before? I bought a supposedly NOS Dura Ace stem from them and it was not only used, it missing the bolt cap and the wrong model. I tried contacting them without any success, I hope I was not screwed.

markie
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I have not bought anything from them. However, I hope you paid with paypal? If so open up a paypal dispute.

I have had to do that a couple of times and both times the seller eventually refunded me.

stuckey
07-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I used paypal, I will wait another day to see if I get a response.

markie
07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I have tried that before, too. Waited days for a response, accepted lame excuses, been strung along. Then you make a paypal dispute and all of a sudden things start to happen much more quickly.

Make sure you do not let things go 1 month or else you cannot open a dispute. (never buy anything is the seller says it is going to take a month or more to arrive.)

Giff
07-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I picked up some NOS Campy Cones from them about a year ago. Very prompt shipping, product was as described and he was quick to answer questions. Did you email directly or use the ebay interface? Perhaps he's gone for a few days...

Walter
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
If this is the same Bicycle Classics found in Michigan doing business at http://www.bicycleclassics.com/, Greg has been great to work with: no hassles, good products, lots of free advice, and fast shipping.

His site says he is closed for a few days.....maybe that is the answer to the delay.

stuckey
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I have tried both e-mail and ebay interface.
This is not the same Bicycle Classics in Michigan, they are out of Florida.

David Benson
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
From the Classic Rendezvous list:

This is a heads-up.

John Barous, who was 'bajajohn1959atmsn' on eBay some time ago, is at it
again. He is now selling under 'bicycleclassics' out of Clearwater,
Florida, and describing himself as bicycleclassics in his listings, but he
sure as heck ain't me!

This fellow ripped off Dale Brown, Mike Kone, and myself (that I know of,
there are probably others - please contact me offlist if you've been
victimized by this guy). Be very, very wary of doing business with him, in
my opinion.

I have contacted eBay to have his listings removed and his ID suspended,
as he is violating my intellectual property rights, but that will probably
take some time, and may involve lawyers, so I just wanted to make it clear
that I am not 'bicycleclassics' on eBay right now.

Thanks,

Greg Parker
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

legacysti888
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow... and to think I almost bought a bunch of NOS parts from him just recently... Thanks for the warning.. I'll spread the word amongst my buddies..

stuckey
07-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info, I will file a paypal complaint right now. Insert curse words... elusive stem... :crap:

39cross
07-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Bummer when NOS = total BS. Good luck with it. I'm glad, however, that you got a quick answer here...these guys are great, aren't they!

Walter
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Sad that Greg Parker, of the good Bicycle Classics, may have gotten some bad pub over the other guy's shabby practices and misuse of Greg's well-earned, excellent reputation and trade name .

stuckey
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Bummer when NOS = total BS. Good luck with it. I'm glad, however, that you got a quick answer here...these guys are great, aren't they!

For sure, I can always get a quick answer here, thanks guys.

Well he contacted me today and said he would send out another stem. Something about he has boxes of them and never checks them just sends them out... we will see...

stuckey
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Received the stem on friday it was the right one. It is now polished and in my Ellis.

39cross
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Glad to hear it worked out!

Bssc
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM

This is a heads-up.

sure as heck ain't me!

my opinion.

Thanks,

Greg Parker
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Mike is not that dumb he once / twice owned Bicycle Classics I doubt he got ripped off by a false shell.

retrogrouchy
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I can guarantee that Mike Kone was ripped off by John Barous for approx. $2000. Mike told me this fact directly. Then Dale Brown chimed in and explained that John Barous ripped him off for about $800 worth of frame repair work and painting. I would be happy to testify to both of these facts in any court of law in the United States....

jlwdm
03-07-2010, 01:15 PM
You would not be allowed to testify as it would just be hearsay. Just because someone told you something does not make it true. Not speaking to this instance - don't know anything about it.

Just looking at your three posts wondering why as a new member you are dredging up a an old thread in each of your posts.

Jeff

retrogrouchy
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Allow me to rephrase that for you, then. I would be willing to testify under oath in any court of law in the USA to the facts that I am personally aware of. I can bring Mike Kone and Dale Brown with me if you wish, or at least their sworn and signed affidavits. S'alright witchoo?

retrogrouchy
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
... and I should have also stated that the same FL dealer ripped me off as well. That ain't hearsay.

gdw
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
yawn.

retrogrouchy
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
OK, that's it. I'm instructing my lawyers, Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe, to sue all of y'all. Who's on first? I get a volume discount if we go after at least five at once....

Vonruden
06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

This is a heads-up.

sure as heck ain't me!

my opinion.

Thanks,

Greg Parker
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Curious if anyone else has had a experiences with bicycleclassics on ebay? I recently sold him a frame fork and before I shipped he was demanding the Campy 50th headset That I clearly indicated was not included with sale, as I was keeping with the groupset. I offered to cancel and refund not once but twice before I shipped. Based on his demeanor I really wanted to cancel as I had other offers and I suspected it would not end well.

When the bike arrived, he claims I sized incorrectly, something I have not done before, however if I did I was willing to accept return. After, I refused his request for $100 refund on a nice custom that he paid less then $300 for, he left me negative feedback and listed the bike back on ebay for 5x's what he paid. Maybe I'm totally wrong, however I suspect there may be a history of this type of activity based on this old thread. Glad it's over and hope he get's his new asking price and maybe we can both be happy.

cribbit
06-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Curious if anyone else has had a experiences with bicycleclassics on ebay? I recently sold him a frame fork and before I shipped he was demanding the Campy 50th headset That I clearly indicated was not included with sale, as I was keeping with the groupset. I offered to cancel and refund not once but twice before I shipped. Based on his demeanor I really wanted to cancel as I had other offers and I suspected it would not end well.

When the bike arrived, he claims I sized incorrectly, something I have not done before, however if I did I was willing to accept return. After, I refused his request for $100 refund on a nice custom that he paid less then $300 for, he left me negative feedback and listed the bike back on ebay for 5x's what he paid. Maybe I'm totally wrong, however I suspect there may be a history of this type of activity based on this old thread. Glad it's over and hope he get's his new asking price and maybe we can both be happy.

Idiocy like this is why I will never, ever sell anything on ebay.

Mark McM
06-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Idiocy like this is why I will never, ever sell anything on ebay.

You can run into idiocy like this in any marketplace (including face to face transactions).