PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong is racing the Leadville 100

gdw
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.velonews.com/article/81072/paper-lance-armstrong-registered-f

It's interesting that he waited until the last minute to announce his participation. I hope Dave Wiens kicks his butt.

scrooge
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
:crap: :crap: :crap:
Now my odds just went WAY down for ever making it in the lottery.

It's interesting that he waited until the last minute to announce his participation. I hope Dave Wiens kicks his butt.

jmc22
07-30-2008, 09:38 PM
LA is just a jack of all trades ...first the Tour, then Marathons now Mtn Bike racing.
It would be no surprise to see Dave win as this is what Dave does all day everyday...
What would be a real surprise is if LA did win, would be if the headline in the paper the next day didn't have GA accusing him of doping. :crap:

chuckred
07-31-2008, 01:13 AM

I kind of feel sorry for Wiens... although it was widely stated that LA would be at Leadville this year, without really knowing, I wonder if he was able to keep his motivation at the same level as last year when everyone expected both LA and Landis to be there.

In anycase, I'm pretty excited to be able to say I lined up at the same starting line. Of course, he'll be drinking beer almost 5 hours before I finish...

chuckred
07-31-2008, 01:17 AM
:crap: :crap: :crap:
Now my odds just went WAY down for ever making it in the lottery.

If you're serious about wanting to get in.... since you're local -

It's fairly well accepted that if you volunteer for their events, you get priority in the lottery process. Come out for the weekend, lend a hand and make sure Ken gets to know who you are, then be sure to mention it on your next year's lottery entry. Can't say from experience, just from what I've been told.

I got lucky the first time I applied and have gotten in every year since.

Fixed
07-31-2008, 08:06 AM
LA is just a jack of all trades ...first the Tour, then Marathons now Mtn Bike racing.
It would be no surprise to see Dave win as this is what Dave does all day everyday...
What would be a real surprise is if LA did win, would be if the headline in the paper the next day didn't have GA accusing him of doping. :crap:

don't forget he was on top of the tri world at 16 ..drugs or no drugs the cat is a freak
imho
cheers

jchasse
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
don't forget he was on top of the tri world at 16 ..drugs or no drugs the cat is a freak
imho
cheers

This isn't his first dip in the Mtb race pool, either. He did some races with Trek/VW years ago.

Satellite
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Lance once stated, "NORBA was the hardest race he ever entered" and this was at the height of his Road Racing Career. I think Lance does these things for fun wouldn't you?

ejh
07-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm looking to be at laest 6 minutes faster then last year to get the buckle. But my money is on Dave.

daker13
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I recall reading Lance had trouble finishing a few mtb races...

crossjunkee
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I've never ridden this event, but it is for sure on my list. So people that have participated, please correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't think the course was very technical, not a typical NORBA race. LA for sure has the endurance. I still hope he gets butt handed to him...

johnnymossville
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Now if only Floyd would jump in the race I'd drive out to watch, but then Lance might pull out again like last year.

I think Lance should do pretty well if he's been riding. His recent marathon times are pretty good, but running only goes so far as training for the bike.

gdw
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
but the course does have several difficult sections. The Powerline and Columbine descents can be very dangerous if you take the wrong line at speed and the North Face/ATT/etc descent is always tricky although it might not be included in this years race. The altitude, weather, and late race fatigue can make the course more difficult as well.

chuckred
07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
but the course does have several difficult sections. The Powerline and Columbine descents can be very dangerous if you take the wrong line at speed and the North Face/ATT/etc descent is always tricky although it might not be included in this years race. The altitude, weather, and late race fatigue can make the course more difficult as well.

Just ask Landis about the Powerline descent! It almost ended his day last year. And he's no slouch on a mountain bike!

An orthopedic surgeon fractured his femur on the North Face descent as well...

dsimon
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Will somebody get his autograph for me tell him a soldier wants it :bike: :fight:

Erik.Lazdins
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
imho
cheers

+1 :beer: