PDA

View Full Version : capital region/adirondack bike shops

npla2112
07-30-2008, 03:39 AM
thanks for the posts regarding the stainless steel frames. i appreciate the opinions and insight from everyone. can anyone recommed a reputable shop in the albany/saratoga/adirondack/vermont area. i am taking the plunge into having my dream bike built in the near future and i would like to go to a shop that can fit me properly and guide me through the build process.

a sidenote: i had a back injury 3 years ago..a herniated disk and devastating sciatica which limited my mobilty so i stopped riding and got way out of shape. after unsuccessful phys. therapy the doc said the only other option was to operate to remove the disk. i didn't like that option but luckily my parents knew a chiropractor and therapist in their hometown so i quit my job and back home briefly. it was a slow process and they worked on me 6 days a week for 3 months. along with a radical change in my diet and a good workout routine i was able to shed over 50 pounds and i can now stretch, bend, and walk without any pain. i found the entire ordeal to be enlightening to say the least. i came out of it better informed so i can manage the pain.

i have read up on a place in vt called fit werx...they seem very knowledgeble. has anyone dealt with them? they are about 2 hours from my house not a huge problem but if anyone knows of any shops i would be very greatful.......
thanks,
nestor
:beer: = :banana:

tomwd3
07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
If you're looking for some fitting work:
You could see Jay @ Steiner's bike shop in Glenmont, NY (just s. of Albany)
and Blue Sky Cycles in Saratoga would be another good bet. Really nice shop with a staff that seems quite knowledgeable.
I'm pretty sure they're both Serotta dealears. (I know Blue Sky is).
Good Luck,
Tom

David Kirk
07-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Blue Sky - Saratoga Springs.

Accept no substitutes.

Dave

CNY rider
07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
As if Dave Kirk's opinion needs confirming.....

I went through the whole fit/order/build/initial maintenance process with Blue Sky about 4 years ago and was thoroughly satisfied with their service.

I'd recommend them with no reservations.

Ahneida Ride
07-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I have the highest regard for Rick Trainer at Mountain Cycology,
Ludlow, Vt. About 90 minutes from the Capital District.

It's whats in the fitters head, his experience, that counts, not the ambiance.

Mtn. Cyco is a bike shop, not a bike store.

Tom
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Blue Sky.

VTCaraco
07-30-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty impressed with Peter at Highlander Bicycle shop in Bennington.
I haven't worked with him as a fitter, but he's definitely a knowledgeable wrench that has an interesting array of experience with a variety of different bikes and riders. I know he also sponsored a few kids from Williamstown a number of years ago; which might not be a big deal for some of the mega-stores but seems real thoughtful given the size of his business and how fair his prices are. If I were doing a custom build, I'd definitely work through him.

avalonracing
07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Blue Sky - Saratoga Springs.

Accept no substitutes.

Dave

I'm down in Maryland but I stopped into Blue Sky when I was in Saratoga a couple of months ago. Cool shop... Very cool people.

Tom
07-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I got no Shimano on my bike, or at least so I thought... it came back from one trip to the wrenches with one short section of Shimano brake cable housing. I found it when I changed the cables this spring... I cracked up.

CF4L
07-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I have heard good things about Blue Sky, but I know Jay from Steiners well and he is a great guy. So I would say you can't go wrong with either of those.

Hit whichever is closer.

Larry D
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I will give a nod to the folks at Fit Werks in Waitsfield, VT. Ian is first class all the way.

bleusky
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
I may be biased.. a little but go with BlueSky!!!!

Ahneida Ride
07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Andrew at Blue Sky is another fitter to check out.

Andrew is very knowledgeable and like Rick, both laid back easy to talk to guys. No sales pressure. ;)