PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Majorca Spain

Smiley
07-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Any tips or advice. Karen and I just booked our flights and we are off in early October for 8 days of cycling on the Island with Santana Tandem Tours. Got the S&S tandem just for this trip our 10 th anniversary celabration. So any pointers or advice would be welcome. Thanks

93legendti
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Any tips or advice. Karen and I just booked our flights and we are off in early October for 8 days of cycling on the Island with Santana Tandem Tours. Got the S&S tandem just for this trip our 10 th anniversary celabration. So any pointers or advice would be welcome. Thanks

Smiley, I've done the Roche Cycling Camp 4 times. iirc, the different routes they use are posted on the web site. Either way, I will see if I still have my mmaps. We stayed at the Punta Del Mar, in Palma Nova, iirc. More of a studio than a hotel. Included in the price were breakfast and dinner buffetts. Check out the Majorcan Pearls factory, Mandarin Duck purses and the cathedral in Palma.

jvp
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I know you guys probably don't rock climb but the climbing there is incredible - world class. Even if you don't climb it may be worthwhile trekking to one of the popular seacliff climbing areas just to watch the locals climb the steeps...or take the long plunge into the ocean.
Here's a youtube of some cutting edge deep water soloing over there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnk0wIHiG8

eddief
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
...i love that place. every square inch. i was there in april when there was still a chill in the air and nearly no tourists. so everywhere was a good place to be. the city where the airport is walkable, old, stylish, nice. the other end of the island from there is spectacular as is the northwest coast. take pictures.

oh, by the way, depending on how air travel is being arranged, make sure they know you are checking travel bikes in airline-checkable suitcases. we showed up at the checkin counter and we had to do a lot of talking to avoid significant charges for big suitcases...even me with my SandS travel case. call ahead, get proof.

michael white
07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
This probably won't help you much in terms of travel guide, and definitely not in terms of cycling. But the centerpiece of one of my books of poems is devoted--actually more of a meditation on the great cathedral there.

(it's one of the treasures of the Gothic age, and not to be missed)
Just in case you're curious:

http://www.amazon.com/Palma-Cathedral-Poems-Colorado-Prize/dp/0870815164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217380662&sr=8-1

best,
mw

majorpat
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
I spent 5 days on Mallorca while on a Med cruise while in the Marines. You'll want to avoid Magaluf and Palma Nova! I did a trip to Sa Calobra (sp?) on the northern coast which was incredible, also check out the old castle above Palma, they had some sort of theater set up (didn't get to see it) in the courtyard. The beaches are super but unless you want to mingle with thousands of British tourists bent on partying, find one as far away from the Daiquiri Palace as possible. Have a great time, it is a beautiful place.
Pat

bocarider
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Check out this website:

http://www.bikeaccess.net/bikeaccess/

There is a lot of information on traveling with your bikes on that site. You have to parse through it as soem of the information is out of date, but you will still find some good information.

El Chaba
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Eat lots of paella....and you are going to have some TOUGH rides on a tandem.

nick0137
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Sent a long PM with some ride routes. PM me for any more help.....

93legendti
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Corniche baby!