PDA

View Full Version : Any SoCal people feel the Quake?

johnnymossville
07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I just turned on CNN and saw the news. Hope everyone's well. 5.8 I guess is a small one but still,....

KJMUNC
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Co-worker just got a call from his wife and their house in Hermosa Beach was shaking pretty good.

Pete Serotta
07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Hope Tom B, Swoop, SoCALSTEVE and everyone else are ok. 5.8 on the scale.

dauwhe
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A strong earthquake shook Southern California on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway and triggering some precautionary evacuations. No immediate damage was reported.

The jolt was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, and slightly in Las Vegas.

Preliminary information from the U.S. Geological Survey estimated the quake at magnitude 5.8, centered 29 miles east-southeast of downtown Los Angeles near Chino Hills in San Bernardino County.

Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said there were no immediate reports of damage or injury in Los Angeles. San Bernardino County fire dispatch also had no immediate reports of damage.

The quake struck at 11:42 a.m. PDT. Buildings swayed in downtown Los Angeles for several seconds.

Workers quickly evacuated some office buildings.

''It was dramatic. The whole building moved and it lasted for a while,'' said Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore, who was in the sheriff's suburban Monterey Park headquarters east of Los Angeles.

Dave

Fixed
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Hope Tom B, Swoop, SoCALSTEVE and everyone else are ok. 5.8 on the scale.
swoop is okay
cheers

chuckred
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
a nice jolt down here - must have been a wild ride closer to the epicenter!

mso
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
N. San Diego

Dan felt it.
I was out riding my bike :)

Bud_E
07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
There was about 10 or 15 seconds worth of swaying over here in Culver City ( West L.A. ). I barely reacted but then I looked out my window and saw that half the people in the office building ran outside. I guess I've lived here so long that I don't get too excited any more ( or I've become brain dead in my old age ).

dvs cycles
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I just turned on CNN and saw the news. Hope everyone's well. 5.8 I guess is a small one but still,....
Better question is who didn't. :)
Was sitting in a restaurant at the top of Jamboree having lunch with friends after our ride when it hit.
We just laughed and kept talking
Funny watching newbys react though. :banana:

MarcusPless
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I felt it here in San Diego but it was so mild I didn't even realize what it was... I was in an area with a lot of people having lunch and didn't see one person get excited.

--Marcus

Alan
07-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I felt it in the valley north of Burbank but it didn't feel that bad.

Alan

mikki
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Epicenter pretty darned close to us in OC...

It picked my feet up off the ground for a moment (I was sitting at the head of the table) with the initial jolt and then rocked and rolled for nearly 20 seconds I think. Twenty seconds isn't long except in an earthquake!! Was fine until it lasted so long and then my nerves started reacting and I began planning how to protect my client. (chandelier swinging wildly in the lobby & hall I learned)

I discovered that in such an emergency I would actually care for a client first. Never knew that about myself; always considered myself a big chicken.

SoCalSteve
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I was in Santa Monica (by the pier) where we are shooting today...I didnt feel anything, but it seems like everyone else did....

I went by my house on the way back to Warner Brothers and all appears to be fine.

Thanks for asking!

Steve

SoCalSteve
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
swoop is okay
cheers

He cant speak for himself?

Just askin'

Steve

cleavel
07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi,

My office building in Seal Beach shook and swayed quite a bit. We were evacuated while they inspected it. They let us back in after about 30 minutes.

Was told by some who've been in this building for a while that they did a major retrofit of the building back in the early 1990s so it should be pretty safe. Haven't seen any damage.

bostondrunk
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
He cant speak for himself?

Just askin'

Steve

lol..

What movie ya shooting??

jtferraro
07-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I was on the phone w/one of my coworkers who lives in SoCal and all of a sudden he said "Oh My God..." I thought it was relative to the important work topic we were covering, but then he said "Earthquake, Earthquake" and while he said that I could hear things shaking in the background. Felt like I was there...while in Connecticut.

Pete Serotta
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
\\Glad you and Michael are ok....PETE
Epicenter pretty darned close to us in OC...

It picked my feet up off the ground for a moment (I was sitting at the head of the table) with the initial jolt and then rocked and rolled for nearly 20 seconds I think. Twenty seconds isn't long except in an earthquake!! Was fine until it lasted so long and then my nerves started reacting and I began planning how to protect my client. (chandelier swinging wildly in the lobby & hall I learned)

I discovered that in such an emergency I would actually care for a client first. Never knew that about myself; always considered myself a big chicken.

SoCalSteve
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
lol..

What movie ya shooting??

TV show..

Terminator: sarah Connor Chronicles

The way we are shooting it is like a movie though...Its bigger with more crashes and stunts than last season.

Steve

PS: Good story lines as well.

Jeff N.
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Didn't feel anything. Jeff N.

mikki
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
\\Glad you and Michael are ok....PETE

Thanks Pete.

So funny to see what Hollywood is doing to dramatize this story. The Epicenter was much closer to OC than to LA, yet the TV is reporting it as if it were an "LA Story"..Did you ever see the movie of the same name by Steve Martin? If not, rent it...it's hysterical and has some poignant messages.

toaster
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Today's quake merely postpones the inevitable Big One.

chuckred
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Quake hits bike shop (http://www.comcast.net/data/fan/html/popup.html?v=808082067 )

Ken Robb
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
oh well, the displays needed dusting anyway. I was ridng and felt nothing.