PDA

View Full Version : Campy Snobs Unite!!!

William
10-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, I mean that with the utmost love. :) But, now that I have your attention, I would like to ask a question that only a true Campy afficianado could likely answer.

What do you think a fair price would be for a Veloce crankset that is about 10 years old, but had only been used on a demo bike for a short period of time when they were new.

Just curious William :)

christian
10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
$30-40.

- Christian

shinomaster
10-19-2004, 04:31 PM
if it's the kind that was painted gray, then they should pay you to take it.

Serotta PETE
10-19-2004, 06:39 PM
It is what ever you think it is worth for your purpose. Nothing more - for that is the most it will ever be worth.

Sorry to be so staright foward but anything less than record has little possibility of future value. (and some of that is questionable unless is is 20 +_ years old :confused: :fight: :fight:

Pete (I have a basement of Mavic and Campy that I am trying to get SPOKES TO BUY. Pete

csb
10-19-2004, 06:43 PM
freddy for his recumbent

William
10-20-2004, 06:02 AM
I was just curious. I was talking with someone at an LBS and mentioned that I was trying to build up a rain bike. I have everything I need except cranks, brake hoods/levers. He said he had these cranks packed away somewhere and would sell them for about $60. Seemed high to me for cranks of that age, even with the small amount of usage claimed. Since I am not familiar with campy parts I decided to throw it out here for folks who speak Campy.

Send it to Freddy for his Recumbant

Or maybe leave them on the side of the road for the squirrles to build theirs. ;)

William

M_A_Martin
10-20-2004, 07:13 AM
As my mom would say: Anything is worth what you can get some fool to pay for it.

I think you could find NOS low end cranks for less than 60... and heck, you can get sparkly brand new Veloce cranks from Branford bike for $39 more.

(CR-91-74 Veloce 170 mm, 39-53, 8/9 speed Crankset $99.88) and they're probably out there even cheaper 'cause they're an upgrade item.

Actually, taking a perusal of EBAY, lightly used Veloce cranks seem to on bid right now for 35-45...

http://www.campyonly.com/images/shorts/2004/ogrady_strip_8-1-04-1.jpg

Project bikes are so much fun aren't they? I just finished building up my Team Fat Chance Yo Eddy. It seems to be a wonderful bike, I'm taking it out on the trail tonight!

William
10-20-2004, 07:57 AM
My gut told me it was high. And I always try to check around on things before I buy them.

Yes, I agree. I had an old Bridgestone that I had built up as a rain bike-fenders and all ) back in Portland. I had a lot of fun building it up and riding that around all winter and early spring. No cares about the wet road grime & grit. On road, off-road, Yee Haw! I gave it to one of my students who helped me move. It actually turned him into a roadie. There's fun and magic in building up an oldie. ;) :)

William

djg
10-20-2004, 08:04 AM
offer 40 and stick to it. Easy enough to say "no thanks" or "I'll think about it" if he tries to meet you in the middle.

M_A_Martin
10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Its all relative. The design of the Veloce cranks has probably improved over 10 years...They're used cranks that he's not gonna be putting on any new bike going out of his shop, he hasn't yet...so offering 40 or so would be reasonable...that way you avoid the cost of shipping off of ebay.

Hey William! I have an old bridgestone too! An X0-4. Its my commuter bike...and the only one with Shimano road stuff on it.

Bruce
10-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Why even bother with them? If you are restoring a period bike, and want to keep it that way, then fine, get the cranks. But a 10 year old period bike is a joke really. Also, period bikes are worth way more when have have the top of the line group on them, not Veloce, a low end group.

You don't need the crank for compatiblity with anything, as Campy will, and has, shifted anything on the front. They are worth less than the cheapest cranks from a reputable company you can find, as they don't have a warranty.

Since cheap cranks go for about $80, $40 may be a good price, but try lower, they are not going anywhere if they have not by now.