PDA

View Full Version : Hampsten Ti Coupler 2000 mile report

Buzz
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I have gotten a bunch of e-mails asking for a follow up ride report on my new Hampsten Ti Coupler. I have put well over 2000 miles on this bike, mostly up and over mountains, as I am preparing for a ride in the Dolomites at the end of August.

Here are photos of the bike:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=44528&highlight=hampsten

Just to reiterate this is a Ti coupler with a 6 degree sloping top tube. It is set up with a mix of Chorus, DT Swiss hubs and wheels (really nice), an Ericksen seat post, Ritchey Handlebars, a Thompsen stem and an FSA Triple Crank.

This bike comes courtesty of some funds my dad left me. A bike is a nice way to remember someone. Although he didn't ride he was a professional musician and appreciated fine instruments.

That's what this bike is: a fine instrument meant to do a job. I am really enamored of the entire look. Very classic and clean. Big round beefy tubes that inspire confidence in this 6'2" 200 pound rider. All of Steve's bikes seem to have this simple / clean quality to them. I know that the more basic and true something is the harder it is to actually acheive that final outcome. So, it is a philosophy or point of view that I appreciate.

Overall, this is a beautifully balanced machine from front to rear and side to side. The bike is balanced and I am balanced on it. Perfectly. The rear end of this bike likes to stay put especially over rough road. Maybe that's the slighly longer chainstays that Steve spec'd. Stand up during a little jam over a hill and that back end is just so stuck to the road.

Where this bike excels for me, however, is in descending and turns. It reminds me of a great GS ski. Apply pressure on outside leg during a turn and it feels like it is biiting into the pavement as the frame gives. Unweight and the frame rebounds back to normal. So, on a longish descent like Mt Diablo with lots of turns it is a blast to carve turn after turn.

I have had this bike over 55 mph descending Monitor Pass during DeathRide and it was absolutely steady. Throw in a suprise hail and rainstorm (our Hampsten "Gavia" moment at the top of Carson Pass) and no problems whatsoever. Just wipe the ti frame down and you are good to go.

I haven't noticed any difference with the couplers verus a standard frame.

The whole bike as set up weighs 19 10 oz. Not bad considering the standard wheels, triple crank, coupler system, etc. Although bike weight really isn't a factor for someone my size.

Dealing with Steve was really easy. He has a very straightforward and practical approach to bikes and components. He is also VERY PICKY about making sure everything is absolutely 100% right. The bike arrived with everything I had ordered and a few extras thrown in. The end result is that this is the nicest bike I have ever ridden and I am sure one that will see me through many years of bike adventuring.

I am happy to patronize Serotta and guys like Steve and other USA framebuilders. They help outfit us riders here in the USA with the best possible equipment. Anyone that has visited the Serotta factory understands that true craftsmanship still exists in the US small to medium segment bike business. I hope you consider a USA builder with your next bike purchase.

bagochips3
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Very sweet bike. I think it's very similar to Andy's personal ride. That's the re-badged Moots, right? Love the Hampsten logo on the head tube.

Alan
07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I have an S&S coupled frame w a long head tube like yours. Does your's fit in the box without removing the fork? Mine won't go all the way flat on the bottom of the box but does go in at an angle so I can get it closed.

Long head tubes w threadless forks don't work too well if you are trying to get it into an S&S case.

Alan

Buzz
07-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Moots built bike. But frame geo worked by Steve who changed a few angles and lengths here and there to accomodate my body notably the longer head tube.

It may be quite close to Andy's bike..I didn't realize until recently that he also rides a coupler. Too bad I don't have his legs and lungs and heart....

Alan, you are correct in your observation re the fork. It has to come out to fit in the S&S case at an angle. However, the fork / handlebar / stem assembly only takes a couple of minutes to disassemble. I was warned to practice packing a few times. The first effort took me over an hour..mostly because of all the tube frame covers and then fighting with the right combination of angles. The second time went alot faster as did the re-assembly. I can see how you could get this to a 20 -25 minute deal.

blharrell
07-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Andy has 2 ti bikes, one coupled and one "straight". They are very similar except one lives in the US and one lives in Italy.

I have a coupled SB ti and can't imagine a better travel bike. I don't know of any place you can't ride it, as long as the legs don't give out. :)