PDA

View Full Version : I hope the hype is right! NOS 63cm MX Leader on it's way...

rodcad
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and my new 63cm MX Leader is coming home. I'm stoked to have found one and kudos to Tom at GVH for being so patient and a GREAT guy.

I have a Corsa Extra and love it, so my expectations are high!

jlwdm
07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
That is a great looking frame. Just my size.

Enjoy it.

Jeff

rphetteplace
07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
i just saw a really neat one in this size on ebay in a grey color with yellow that's gorgeous. good luck!

fixednwinter
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I built up a NOS MX Leader just over a month ago. It has possibly the ugliest paintjob in the world (hot pink, canary yellow, purple people eater & lavender) but the geometry is spot-on. And yes, the ride matches all of the hype I've read on this and other forums. The Merckx-spec'd MAX tubing is wonderful in feel and ride qualtiy too.

Without a doubt, it's a relatively heavy ride, even with contemporary 10sp Campagnolo parts on it. I live in an area with no mountains, so weight is less of a factor for me. Other than the weight, I can't say enough good things about the MX Leader.

TMB
07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I built up a NOS MX Leader just over a month ago. It has possibly the ugliest paintjob in the world (hot pink, canary yellow, purple people eater & lavender) but the geometry is spot-on. And yes, the ride matches all of the hype I've read on this and other forums. The Merckx-spec'd MAX tubing is wonderful in feel and ride qualtiy too.

Without a doubt, it's a relatively heavy ride, even with contemporary 10sp Campagnolo parts on it. I live in an area with no mountains, so weight is less of a factor for me. Other than the weight, I can't say enough good things about the MX Leader.

I beg to differ,

I think the paint job on your MX Leader is Stunning. Gorgeous. Beautficent, even.

maunahaole
07-27-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm sure that you will hate that bike. Avoid the pain and suffering. Send it to me. ;)

rodcad
07-27-2008, 06:52 AM
My Corsa Extra is the pink/yellow/purple color combo. At first I was pretty skeptical of it, but now I love the color combo. It stands out and is simply beautiful to my eyeballs. When I ask my wife which bike is her favorite, it's her pick everytime.

rodcad
07-27-2008, 07:01 AM
I too saw the "custom" painted MXL on the bay. Honestly, I didn't like the color combo or the decal selection. It might look way better in person, but the pictures made it look like it had been primered and decaled. Pretty dull. It never met the reserve, ending at $1575.

Weight wise, I'm a big dude. I could lose 20 pounds anyday of the week, so I can't see the weight of the frame being an issue. I don't race, it's all about the ride and comfort for me.

KJMUNC
07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
You will dig it even more on the rougher roads. I'm 6'4 205 and ride on some pretty horrendous roads. I love my De Rosa EL-OS, but the MXL is the one I ride when I know I'm going to be pounding the crappy pavement.

Enjoy it and ride the heck out of it!

maddog17
07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
nice buy! was that the only one he had? i didn't notice any on the website so i wasn't sure if he has a secret stash or just that you got yours and it isn't listed on the site anymore. not that i need that size, but didn't know if you talked to him and maybe it came up in conversation that he has other sizes available

rodcad
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
The original purchaser had it on layaway and never followed thru. I put it on layaway then and almost followed in the first guys footsteps. So, it's been sitting there for about a year and a half on my stint.

More frames never came up and I would doubt there's more. These come up regularly on eBay and even in the classifieds here so one just needs to keep an eye out.

rodcad
07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Just a thought, the grey MXL on eBay belongs to a guy that works at Vechhio's in Boulder. The co-owner of Vechhio's, Peter, has sold 2 MXL's in recent memory that I know of. If anyone is looking for an MXL, I'd start there.

fixednwinter
07-27-2008, 04:54 PM
toomanybikes & rodcad;

OK, ok, maybe the paint scheme isn't as bad as I say it is :)

Yes, it's exactly the same paint in the pics both of you have posted. In addition, mine has chrome head lugs, fork crown and rear triangle. Combined with a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheels (the version with the yellow stickers), it would be safe to say it is "colorful".

I built it up with 06 Chorus (pre-QS, pre-UT), with a Jtek converter connecting the group to a 10sp Shimano cassette & chain. I'll get around to getting some shots and posting it on the custom bikes forum.

I'm about 165 lbs in the winter, 155 lbs right now in the summer. Not a clydesdale, but I'm no lightweight either, and certainly don't worry about the MX Leader being substantial in mass.

TMB
07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
FnW,

You're a lightweight.

One solid gust of wind and you're in the weeds.

Me?

Takes a Tornado!! ( that's a round about way of saying I could do to lose some pounds)

That Corsa Extra has quickly become one of my favourites. The Strong, the Corsa Extra and the De Rosa Primato.

Those would be the absolute keepers, others not so much.

Interesting that mine has the chromed rear triangle ( as does your MX Leader) while RodCad's Corsa Extra in the same paint scheme is a painted rear triangle.

fixednwinter
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
FnW,

You're a lightweight.

One solid gust of wind and you're in the weeds.

Interesting that mine has the chromed rear triangle ( as does your MX Leader) while RodCad's Corsa Extra in the same paint scheme is a painted rear triangle.

TMB;
I don't feel so light when climbing the rare hill here in TO!!

Yes, the chrome on our frames are a nice historical touch. I especially like your all-chrome fork on your Corsa Extra.

I wonder if RodCad's Corsa Extra is more recent than our frames - I believe chroming was banned in Belgium due to environmental concerns, so more recent Merckx steel no longer had them (e.g. the final versions of the MXL and the 7-11 Corsa Extra).

jcmuellner
07-28-2008, 01:21 AM
My friend Gary turned me onto the MXL in 2005 and I got a Molteni orange one. From the moment I took it on the first ride I was smitten. We have some brutal chipseal and gravel roads but that bike can do it all. I also have a Corsa-01 I really like (though I don't know the difference between that and any other Corsa -someone enlighten me) and the MXL is a different, but really sweet, confident ride. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure!

There must be something special with MXLs - at least a couple times a month someone asks if I want sell it...