PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture

Bittersweet
10-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Hopefully the below link works to a Colnago CF-1 Ferrari on Ebay. It is a fun little game of what is wrong with this picture. Look at the photos and then read the detailed description and identify the problems (e.g. Thomson Elite Silver seatpost)

How many discrepancies can you notice?

Ebay Colnago CF-1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7108233154&rd=1)

kestrel
10-19-2004, 08:25 AM
I do believe the description was written for another bike. Silver stem looks red to me, saddle, wheels, etc.

Bittersweet
10-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Seems to me like an e-bay scammer. The seller has no feedback scores. I asked the seller these questions but of course no response. Looks like there are ten bidders already though and I wonder what they are thinking?

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Has anyone reported this potential scam to E-bay ?????

Keith A
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Bottom Bracket :: Campagnolo Record Triple Silver/Carbon (it's a double)
Front Derailleur :: Campagnolo Record Triple 10spd Silver 94g (it's a double)
Rear Derailleur :: Campagnolo Record Triple Silver/Carbon 195g (it's a double)
Headset :: Campagnolo Record Silver - Threadless - 1in 110g (looks black to me)
Stem :: 3T Forgie Black - Threadless - -10° 179g (its red, not sure the brand)
Seatpost :: Thomson Elite Silver 180g (not silver or a Thomson)
Saddle :: Selle Italia Octavia Gel Black - Male - Anatomic 270g (its red, not sure the brand)
Kit Wheel :: Campagnolo Record Silver - Mavic Open Pro 1645g (they are Zipps)
Skewers :: Campagnolo Record Silver 104g (they are black)

Louis
10-19-2004, 11:11 AM
How would you even know if the bike fit?

Looks to me like the description was lifted from one of those weight-weenie sites where people boast about how light their bikes are.

Louis

Keith A
10-19-2004, 11:13 AM
The title states it is a CF1 and the description calls it a CF3. I certainly wouldn't be placing a bid on this one. I see that the current high bidder also has zero feedback -- what a way to get started with eBay.

Louis
10-19-2004, 11:21 AM
This is like watching a train wreck in slow-motion.

I'm not familiar enough with e-bay to know what to do about something like this, but the auction ends in only 6 hours...

Keith A
10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
You can contact eBay and let them know of your concerns. However, this one is a little more iffy regarding the rules of eBay. There are some errors in the description, but many of the items are correct. Additionally, the seller hasn't hijacked any recent eBay auctions, so his pictures and description aren't from anything that is searchable on eBay. Let's just hope the buyer doesn't really get taken for nearly $3K :crap:

Big Dan
10-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Some people post with new accounts on purpose to disrupt the auction. They do the same with old Fender guitars on ebay, when they figure out that it is a scam they bid some crazy amount so nobody else bids... :no:

Keith A
10-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I've seen that as well. Often times the user name will be something like "seller_is_scammer" or "don't_bid"

Louis
10-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Although s/he has zero feedback, the current high bidder registered July 26, '04 so it's unlikely to be someone trying to stop the auction with a very high limit.

Bittersweet
10-19-2004, 12:20 PM
And the bids keep coming in.

Chris King headset - not Campy Record (CK logo couldn't be bigger which is a CK turn-off IMO)

Isn't that one of the Colnago carbon cranks that came out about the time of the CF-1 (~2001)?

djg
10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
this thread, makes it hard for me to ask whether y'all have just a little too much free time on your hands.

Louis
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Looks like the self-policing aspect of the Web won out and this had a happy ending.

Winner was "Scammer-do-not-bid" for $10,100

Nice bike(s), though...

froze
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear they stopped the scammer. My rule of thumb has been, if they have very few or no reviews then I don't bother; I always ask some questions and if they refuse to answer then I don't bother. Always pay by credit card so your protected by the credit card company for any purchases not received or was not what you ordered.