PDA

View Full Version : What makes a bicycle worth keeping ?

Smiley
10-19-2004, 05:48 AM
As I complete my garage project I ponder this question . Now that I have space for keeping more bikes , whereas my old rule was to get one you'd need to sell one I am now debating if this rule is still good . Why would I want to keep a bike I no longer use. Now don't get me wrong I own several bikes that I use for multi purpose , like a fixiee and a road bike , a tandem and an MTB , my question which I have lived by, is why keep more of one if I would relegate this bike to storage? Is this a good use of resources as bikes do lose value with the passing of time , exceptions to this rule apply like collectables or one of a kind bikes like maybe a Hors that I doubt would ever be made again.
I have sold many a good used Serotta in my time to MOVE UP so to say and have made it a point to always buy close to if not what was deemed STOCK so as not to confuse the new potential buyers to what dimension bike they were getting. Although my wife's only regret is the sale of her CSI in favor of a new Legend Ti frame. So what do you think where is the line and what does one keep and sell. Thanks

Sandy
10-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Sell any bike that you will not be using. Don't get the First Mate's bike repainted. Sell her Legend Ti. Keep her new fork. Keep her new crankset. Buy her a new CSi, if that is what she really wants.

Don't let her ride the CSi, however, since I can hardly keep up with her now.

:) Sandy :)

kestrel
10-19-2004, 06:18 AM
That is a subject which is totally foreign to me. My wife calls the garage bay where the bicycles are "La Brea Tar pits East". What goes in never goes out. If I owned it, I still own it, unless it broke. :banana:

TimB
10-19-2004, 06:39 AM
In my attic is a 1992 Bob Jackson frame that is unusable due to a downtube that was crumpled in a crash. Try as I might, I can't seem to accept the idea of getting rid of this frame, though I have pretty much given up on the idea of ever having it repaired.

My advice - if you have the space - keep it all!

Dekonick
10-19-2004, 06:58 AM
I regret every bike I sell (with the exception of one Specialized Epic - JUNK!)

The only reason to sell is if you need to make room, need the cash to buy another, or your wife makes you. Why not take your old bikes out for a spin once in awhile? It's fun and reminds you what was/is good about that particular bike.

For your wife, why not make the Legend a rain bike and get her a new CSI?

Ray
10-19-2004, 07:11 AM
If I once really liked a bike, I won't sell it unless it sits for a couple of years unused. Not totally unused, but unused in the sens that I'll pull it out every few months and then not like it enough to pull it out again for another few months. It never really grabs me again. After a couple of years of this, I'll finally conclude it just isn't for me and I'll sell it. Bikes I never really bonded with I'll sell much more easily. Bikes I continue to like, even with fairly long periods of disinterest, I keep. My old Bianchi fixed gear is a case in point. I'm capable of going pretty long periods without riding the fixie, but then when I get back on it, I always like riding it and I'm always glad I have it. Probably won't get rid of it until I'm just too damn old to ride fixed - if that ever happens.

When I was new to this obsession, I sold a couple of bikes I liked too early - these are the only sales I've ever regretted.

FWIW, I find a rotation of 6-7 bikes seems to work for me. Less than that and I don't always have the right bike for some obscure application that I absolutely NEED the right bike for :rolleyes: . More than that and the overage will fall out of favor and not get ridden at all and I always seem to find this same equilibrium at about 6 or 7 bikes. Edit - I agree that upkeep is also an issue - if I have more than 6-7, I'm not going to keep them all in a good state of repair either.

-Ray

zap
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I sell bike frames that are worn out (hey, these guys ride slower so they don't notice the increased flex) or I don't like. A part I don't intend to use but has plenty of life left, I give it away or I sell it on ebay. If a part will never be used again, can't find a home or will not be used as wall decoration, it gets thrown out.

I have plenty of space in my garage and basement, so space isn't a problem for me. I just don't like to keep stuff that's of no use.

My limiting factor as to how many bikes I keep is the upkeep. For me, to keep 7 bikes in perfect (or close) working order takes as much time as I care to take.

I really don't think it's worth keeping a bike or bike parts for investment purposes, even a Hors. Sorry :)

But automobiles sure can be a good investment ;)

csb
10-19-2004, 06:04 PM
take your extra bicycles outside (because what you're going to
do with them will not squeeze out the door once you've finished)
buy some band clamps, get your hacksaw and straight-edge
screwdriver and build yourself a sleek RECUMBENT.

the local cubscouts may want in on this fascinating project.

geezus, almost forgot the most important part, @ completion
get yourself a nifty website.

BigMac
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
My good friend Captain, don't tell me you too are considering becoming a bike collector. I guess I'm going to now be alone amongst this lot. A bike is a tool for excercise and transportation...that is it. Some look far more appealing to my eye than others, some ride a bit smoother and respond more consistently but all bikes are good in their own way. I personally allow no more than 3 at any home -- race-style roadie, fixed gear and an all-arounder, sorry no tandems for me ;) -- most have just 2. If it ain't getting ridden I figure somebody else can use it. Much as I was raised to always clean my plate before leaving the table, I basically never get rid of a bike before it's served a dutiful life. I have in fact only given away a single bike/frame in the last 34 years, that being a mtb which just did not serve my riding needs. I ride'em till they break then have them repaired if possible AND if I really feel a particular fondness for the bike that cannot be exceeded by something new and different.

My recommendation would of course be to just keep riding the same bikes in your current stable and save bank balance from the purchase of something new. If you just gotta have something new, I would urge you to consider donating bike to your favorite charity or any local cycling club that supports junior racing for under privaleged. While I did donate my mtb, I have personally never donated a road bike because as I said I just ride'em till they break...call me being too damn cheap (my wife would agree here) or just always happy with my frame choices. I do however annually donate several component groups, wheels, sewups and clothing to local cycling group that supports inner-city kids. The return is immence appreciation when you see these kids in action at local racing events. If I were to donate a frame, assuming of course a child could fit one of my frames which is HIGHLY unlikely, I could further identify with the young lad who sprints by me aboard my former frame, probably at a speed far greater than I ever acheived. How cool would that be, living vicariously through the accomplishments of someone who otherwise would not be able to compete due only to their financial means? I certainly sympathize with those who perhaps cannot afford to donate a frame but just consider it if you are in such a position. If we do not support bicycle racing at the grass roots today, where will the sport be when our children or theirs wish to follow or persue the sport?

Hope all is well with you and yours in DC. Take care.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Smiley
10-19-2004, 07:40 PM
The operative word my good friend Mr Mac was I was pondering , I have many needs that this new garage will fill , a snow blower comes to mind cause with a new garage a new very large driveway I have inherited. Also I am still waiting to win the lottery . Anyway I too was wondering how one can have so many beautiful bikes and not ride them all . It would make me feel guilty . Any good stock tips Mr Mac to place my folly money on instead of bikes. Google you think ??

M_A_Martin
10-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Stick with your rule Smiley.

My bikes generally follow the "one shows up, one leaves". For a long time I had one road bike and that was enough (when a different one, showed up, a home was found for the previous one). Then I purchased a mountain bike, and two was enough. Then I upgraded the mountain bike and kept the first as a loaner. So I had three bikes forever. Then I was gifted with a race bike, picked up a cross bike, (under the "correct tool for the job" theory) and several casual bikes entered my life. I was up to 12 at one point. You really DON'T want that to happen.

Then I bought a road bike that really fit. My Kirk.
The spare mountain bike was given to someone who rides it more than I would ever. The EV2 will probably go on Ebay, the Jamis already found a new home as soon as I'm ready to let it go...so slowly they're finding their way to new happy homes and leaving me with my Kirk and my Fatrotta...The bridgestone will probably stick around as my commuter...but even it may go.

If you decide to collect, pick what you want to collect, don't let it pick you.

Dekonick
10-20-2004, 03:43 AM
Its nice to ride an old bike - they all have different soul's.

Personally, I used to only keep about 3-4 bikes at any time (but thats more because of the boss, not my choice.)

1 bike on the home trainer for those quick workouts when real life wont allow a outside ride (somehow I have a hard time going out for less than at least 2 hours...1 hour can be done but its dern hard to keep it short)

1 bike hanging - begging for a ride while my dog beggs for a walk...

1 mtn bike for when non roadie friends want to get dirt

1 rain / commuter

It would be nice to have 1 more - a dedicated fixxie

2 seems like a minimum number - one on the trainer, one to ride. (or one in the shop, one at home)

My father in law has a similar feeling about shotguns - he has probably 20+ and shoots most of them on a somewhat regular basis. (trap shooter - pigeon's - ya know the clay kind) I know many of his guns cost more than a new Ottrott would...

Did I mention how I got married....?

jeffg
10-20-2004, 04:06 AM
I personally allow no more than 3 at any home -- race-style roadie, fixed gear and an all-arounder, sorry no tandems for me ;) -- most have just 2.
Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I guess if you have more than one home you can start the count over ;)

For me, one home/2 bikes. One I sometimes keep at a friend's in CA so I don't have to lug it (along with stroller(s), etc.) on the plane if I have an event like DMD planned. Maybe I should just get two homes and keep one bike in each place :banana:

RABikes2
10-20-2004, 07:39 AM
I feel like such a slacker...I own my Legend Ti...ONE bike.

I do have my old, too small, Trek 2300 that I rode for years, but I just fixed it up and loaned it out to a lady that was riding her mtn. bike in my "1st Timers" class at the bike shop. Started the class because there were quite a few people coming in and wanting bikes, all different kind, but didn't know how to ride them (shifting) and wanted to ride on the road with other riders and traffic. The lady I loaned it too can't afford a new one yet and was riding, like a champ, her mtn. bike (she refers to it now after being on the Trek as her "dump truck"). Anyway, my old Trek is now out of my home office, so I have my Legend (who lives in my living room), and my son's two bikes, his scooter, and skateboard (in my office).

I need a mtn. bike, don't I? :banana: :D Can I still hang with you guys if I only own ONE bike? IT IS A SEROTTA! :p

djg
10-20-2004, 07:58 AM
to ride. Past that, I don't see any reason to hold on to bikes you don't ride, unless you're a collector (and the bike's actually collectible).

Too Tall
10-20-2004, 08:04 AM
(giggle) Yeah, downsizing. Riiiiight. This winter , Zap can hold me to it, I'm going to "Downsize" to just JUST 5 for me, 4 for Queen 2 tandems and two 50's grocery getters. THAT my friends is a huge step....the thought literally gives me the creeps.

Hi my name is Too Tall and I'm a Bike-a-haulic. It's been 1 yr. since I've bought a bike.

M_A_Martin
10-20-2004, 08:30 AM
You know...I've been told that if a bike has wheels on it and can be ridden, it counts as a bike...but a bike without wheels doesn't count in the count,

So, problem solved! Just buy frames. :banana:

Too Tall
10-20-2004, 09:29 AM
M.A.M So, you can't be my sponsor? Dang. Must resist the urge to own more bikes.

Ken Robb
10-20-2004, 09:59 AM
As most of you know I don't race and I don't "train". I just go where I feel like as fast as I feel like on a given day. We just got rid of an entry level Gary Fisher mtn. bike that was my wife's first bike. She felt safe learning to ride on it but after I bought her the CSi w/ Chorus 10 speed she found it to be less acceptable and finally said she didn't think she's ever ride it again so it's gone. I, on the other hand, enjoy riding each of my 4 road bikes on different days in different ways. The oldie with Nuovo Record gruppo makes me welcome on "Classic" rides, the Allrounder hauls a lot of stuff over really bad or unpaved roads, the Waterford is the "go-fast" bike and the Rambouillet is the sports sedan. Les even lets me ride the CSi sometimes. I like all of these and sold the ones that I didn't care much for.

zap
10-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Smiley-Snowblower? Consider shoveling as cross training. And I know your better half is going to park her vehicle in that sweet new garage.

MAM-Last time I was at Too Tall's house, only one bike had both wheels attached :rolleyes:

M_A_Martin
10-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Too Tall,

I can be your sponsor. Just remember that recovery is never ending.

Too Tall
10-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Zap - why the negative vibes Moriarty....always with da negtive vibes. And you completely missed the Raleigh DL-1 WITH BOTH WHEELS ON MY FRIEND.
M.A.M - Don't toy with me, I'm vulnerable and credit is good.

JohnS
10-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Another Kelly's Heroes fan?

M_A_Martin
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Zap. See? He's already on the road to recovery. I hope his admission of having a bike with both wheels on it isn't a sign of remission..

JohnS...who isn't?