PDA

View Full Version : Upper body workout

Flat Out
07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
What, if anything, do you all do to work out the top half? Just curious.

avalonracing
07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Lots of pull ups, push ups, crunches and dumbbell work... Usually about three times a week. I definitely feel better on the bike with the upper body cross training than without.

false_Aest
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I generally do my morning ride then head to the gym.
Post workout whey protein and BCAAS with 1/2 serving of juice 8oz H2O

Monday: Chest
Incline bench
Flat bench
Decline bench
back extention/hanging leg lifts superset
crunches on a swiss ball

Tuesday: Legs
Squats
Deadlifts
leg extentions
lying leg curls
donkey calf raises
standing calf raises

Wednesday: Back
50 pullups,
bent over rows
cable pull downs or cable rows

Thursday: Shoulders
Arnolds
Military press
rear delt row
lateral raise
shoulder shrugs

Friday: Arms (all supersets)
curling bar/Skull crushers
preacher curls or hammer curls/ dumbbell triceps extention or kickbacksdu
dumbbell 21s/cable triceps or dips

* All sets are 12, 10, 8, 6 reps increasing weight each set. Abs/back extentions are done every day. Routines get switched every 4 weeks.

Louis
07-24-2008, 07:49 PM
How the heck do you find the time to ride?

Monday: Chest
Incline bench
Flat bench
Decline bench
back extention (every day)
roman chair (every day)
crunches (every day)

Tuesday: Legs
Squats
Deadlifts
leg extentions
lying leg curls
donkey calf raises
standing calf raises

Wednesday: Back
50 pullups,
bent over rows
cable pull downs or cable rows

Thursday: Shoulders
Arnolds
Military press
rear delt row
lateral raise
shoulder shrugs

Friday: Arms (all supersets)
curling bar/Skull crushers
preacher curls or hammer curls/ dumbbell triceps extention or kickbacksdu
dumbbell 21s/cable triceps or dips

eh, things get switched around every 4 weeks so my body doesn't get used to stuff.

cheers,
t

false_Aest
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
HA! I ask myself that too.

Generally I'm on by bike by 6.30am. Do an hour and a half then I get to the gym. If I don't puts around, the gym takes me just about 75min.

The gf doesn't mind. She's seen how I get crabby if I don't work out.

I don't ride on Monday and I don't go to the gym on Sat/Sunday....

Also, if I'm short on time during the week I'll superset back/chest and legs/arms. Your rest time is spent working on another body part. Same amount of time twice the workout.

jvp
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I go to the climbing gym during the summer, and real boulders all fall, winter and spring. The pulling and pushing (topping out) of bouldering, plus the effort required to climb technical and steep stuff keeps my arms and core in good shape.
Plus it's fun.

Kines
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I used to do that stuff, but now I feel like it does nothing but add weight, even if it is muscle and chicks dig it. Now that I'm married and cycling is the only sport I do avidly, the upper body is just melting away, and I'm perfectly OK with it.

I still do abs, I think the core muscles are helpful in all activities.

KN

BURCH
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I do the following pushup workout 3 days a week. It only takes a few minutes, but it keeps my chest, shoulders, triceps and back all toned. You can start with less reps, but I wouldn't take much more of a break in between.

35 diamonds (45 second break)
35 wide (45 second break)
35 shoulder width (45 second break)
15 diamond (10 second break)
15 wide (10 second break)
15 shoulder width

I will usually do an ab workout right after this with a similar pyramid scheme. The only thing that doesn't get worked during all this is the biceps so pullups would be good too.

BURCH
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
The gf doesn't mind. She's seen how I get crabby if I don't work out.

How true is this. I get so crabby if I don't get in my workouts.

regularguy412
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
I used to do that stuff, but now I feel like it does nothing but add weight, even if it is muscle and chicks dig it. Now that I'm married and cycling is the only sport I do avidly, the upper body is just melting away, and I'm perfectly OK with it.

I still do abs, I think the core muscles are helpful in all activities.

KN

Same here. I find I can add upper body mass pretty easily. But I really don't want it there, since it's just more to carry up hill on the bike. I restrict my weight work to the off season and then only do relatively light weights with high reps for arms and shoulders. I still do squats, extensions and hamstring curls pretty heavy and also high rep for legs and lower body, again, only in off season. I find it's just too taxing for me to try and lift during the high mileage part of the year.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ray
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I just do a pretty well rounded kettlebell routine. Mostly works the quads, glutes, hams, and core, but some of the cleans, snatches, and presses do a pretty good job of keeping the arms, upper back, and shoulders strong. Doesn't do much for the chest, but no functional harm there. Everything I use on the bike gets a good workout from the bells and, along with yoga a few times a week, keeps my back feeling good.

-Ray

MarcusPless
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
...but I find that beer and other refreshing adult beverages make me less crabby. :D

--Marcus

Fixed
07-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I am a better swimmer than cyclist if i train at it .. in the summer I do a pool work out in my home pool ..i take 2 old tubes tie them together tie one end down the other end i loop around my ankles i can swim all my strokes and the workout is fun ...for me weights are for the winter
cheers :beer:

fiamme red
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't have access to barbells, since I work out in a small gym in the basement of my building. I'm still able to get a good upper body workout with four exercises: weighted pull-ups, weighted dips, standing dumbbell presses, and dumbbell bench presses. If I'm short on time, I'll dispense with the bench presses, since the dips already work my chest. I never do more than two different exercises per workout, so I don't spend much time in the gym.

Acotts
07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I bench press the local cheerleading squad.

Ken Robb
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
:beer:

bozman
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
pushups. I just started swimming again this morning, too. Helps with the back as well.

johnnymossville
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I only do lifting in the off season, and then mostly core strength and rowing, but I'm starting to think I should lift more during the season too. I've been getting some neck and shoulder pains once in awhile and I think it's related to weakened upper body strength later in the season. That and a general loss of flexibility now that I'm riding exclusively.

tbushnel
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I go to the climbing gym during the summer, and real boulders all fall, winter and spring. The pulling and pushing (topping out) of bouldering, plus the effort required to climb technical and steep stuff keeps my arms and core in good shape.
Plus it's fun.

How much time to you put in per training session with the climbing? I haven't been climbing in a very long time, but I always enjoyed it a lot. You made me think that I should do it again. The trouble might be finding a climbing gym close by and then being able to afford it.
Cheers,
ted.

Ti Designs
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I open potato chip bags with my bare hands.

chuckroast
07-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Lifting glasses of scotch.....

jvp
07-25-2008, 08:53 PM
How much time to you put in per training session with the climbing? I haven't been climbing in a very long time, but I always enjoyed it a lot. You made me think that I should do it again. The trouble might be finding a climbing gym close by and then being able to afford it.
Cheers,
ted.

I go once during the week, usually on wed. for about 2 or 3 hours. On the weekends I go at least once more, sometimes both days, but I climb light on the second day usually. When I go outdoors, it's on a weekend day, all day. The next day I'm pretty tired.
Here's the obligatory gratuitous shameless promo pic of me a few years ago -
bouldering on virgin gorda b.v.i. in '96...
http://www.0friction.com/pix_17/zero_friction_pic_2391.jpg

andy mac
07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

free, downloadable workouts, from an olympic cycling physio and top level competitor.

don't waste your time, start here...

BURCH
07-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I go once during the week, usually on wed. for about 2 or 3 hours. On the weekends I go at least once more, sometimes both days, but I climb light on the second day usually. When I go outdoors, it's on a weekend day, all day. The next day I'm pretty tired.
Here's the obligatory gratuitous shameless promo pic of me a few years ago -
bouldering on virgin gorda b.v.i. in '96...
http://www.0friction.com/pix_17/zero_friction_pic_2391.jpg

That is a great shot. It echos...."life is good". Thanks for sharing.

johnnymossville
07-26-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

free, downloadable workouts, from an olympic cycling physio and top level competitor.

don't waste your time, start here...

Thanks for this link!

John

tbushnel
07-26-2008, 09:08 AM
That is a great shot. It echos...."life is good". Thanks for sharing.

+1
thanks,
ted

rustychisel
07-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Lifting glasses of scotch.....

changing hands, I hope. Gotta keep a balance.