PDA

View Full Version : Parlee Z1x

Ti-Boy
10-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Following demos of Ottrott and Ottrott ST I took a road trip last week and visited Parlee. Jonathan set me up with a Z1 and a Z2 for test rides. I was leaning towards the Z3, but alas it was out on a demo somewhere. Bottom line is the Z1 blew me away in a way the Ottrotts did not. Smoother than my Vamoots, yet seemed to accelerate better. Z1 was also noticibly smoother than the Z2. I wrestled with whether the smoothness was worth the xtra coin especially since the stock 55 Z3 would fit perfectly, but decided to go for it. I'll have Parlee change to stock headtube from 13.5 to 14.5 to eliminate spacers, but the stock 54 demo bike fit like it was made for me.

People at Parlee were awesome. Set up two bikes, helped load them on my car, gave me their local TT course map and told me to go out and have fun. They even gave me tools to change out pedals and post on the road. All this and they didn't even know my last name as I drove away with $10K worth of their bikes. I returned after their closing time and yet they stayed with me for another hour and half talking bikes and showing me decals. Even made a great resteraunt recommendation. Gotta love it.

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
what does a Z1 run for price??

Climb01742
10-19-2004, 09:51 AM
ti-boy--my test ride on the Z1 had the same result...blew me away...it seemed to do everything extraordinarily well. and while i haven't had a chance to meet the folks at parlee, my phone and e-mail chats with 'em have been swell.

jeffg
10-19-2004, 10:08 AM
When I bought my Z-1 it was $2800 for the frame. It is a good bit more now, I believe. The Z2/Z3 are pretty good values in high-end carbon.

As for the ride, the Z1x is great, though my Legend still gets more saddle time. Also, part of what makes the Z1x great is the geos, which are largely rippped off from the Legend ;)

Climb01742
10-19-2004, 10:12 AM
i ordered mine thru hampsten, so not sure what parlee charges, but i think its just north of three bills. not cheap, to be sure, but far less than an ottrott, and IMO, i think you get what you pay for.

jeffg
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
i ordered mine thru hampsten, so not sure what parlee charges, but i think its just north of three bills. not cheap, to be sure, but far less than an ottrott, and IMO, i think you get what you pay for.

Current price (via Hampsten's website) is $3600. Glad I bought mine early ...

Ti-Boy
10-20-2004, 03:39 AM
I suspect the price is going up further. Parlee is now selling frame/fork/headset package as their standard at over $4k.

I'll go DA 10, Kysriums, Airione saddle.

Now to decide on fork (Alpha Q Sub3 or Ouzo Pro Lite), bars, stem and post.