PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit S&S coupling to existing bike

weisan
01-08-2004, 09:15 AM
I contacted Serotta about retrofitting my Legend Ti with S&S coupling.

(For those wondering what S&S Coupling is, check out:
www.sandsmachine.com/)

I was told they don't retrofit existing bikes built without the coupling.

So my question is:

Does anyone has any experience or recommendation with a trustworthy framebuilder that do a good job with retrofitting a titanium frame with the coupling?

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

weisan

Johny
01-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Why? Maybe retrofitting of your Legend Ti is not possible due to special Serotta tubing? :confused: Anyone knows?

weisan
01-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I just got off the phone with a framebuilder based in Wimberley Texas. He is licensed to build S&S Coupling into the frames he made. He told me very few people would do retrofit. He brought up a few possible explanations:

1) too much work and too much risk. Cutting through the tubes and trying to align them back again require too much work, high level of skill and careful attention. With a Serotta, he basically says "Don't do it!".

2) It's possible that Serotta special tubing makes it impossible to fit those couplings properly to an existing tube.

Jay Torborg
01-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I think the Legend's swaged tubing make it more difficult to install S&S couplings, particularly as a retrofit. On the recommendation of my dealer, I went with the Concours for my S&S bike for easier installation.