PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out in Saratoga Springs

Bosun
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I'll be hanging out in Saratoga Springs this weekend--and I have never been there. Anything you folks would recommend? I can't do any biking, but hikes are good. Is the Serotta factory open for tours? Would this be worth my time? (and my wife's time?) I'm open to nearly anything.

Serotta PETE
10-18-2004, 07:57 PM
IT is a pretty cool town. Lots of shopping and there is a lake close by.

Chamber or Commerce or an outdoor stores probably have some maps. GO to Blue Sky bike store if you have a chance, they also might know some hiking routes.

I would call someone from Serotta during the week to see if there is a crew working Saturday. Tour is worth while.

Have fun and I hope the weather cooperates.

David Kirk
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
If you are a car guy check out the top notch auto museum at the state park. It's first class.

Dave

Bill Bove
10-18-2004, 08:23 PM
If you are a history buff check out the battlefield. It's where the coalition forces of Japan and the U.S.A. stopped a fleet of German submarines going north on the Hudson river to attack the British garrison in New York city during Spanish-American war in 1812. That's what BumbleBeeDave told me anyway as we rode through it during the open house week end last summer. :confused: Really though, it is worth your while to check it out. The views are beutiful and it is absalutely wierd how places of the horrors of war are so tranquil years later, almost like the place has earned it.

Benjamin
10-19-2004, 09:21 AM
do you like drinking?

Climb01742
10-19-2004, 09:25 AM
there are lots of restaurants on the main street that goes through the older, main part of town that look pretty good. i can't actually vouch for their food because every one we tried to get into during owners weekend was either filled up or booked up :crap: but some looked really nice, and hey, eating is always fun!

BumbleBeeDave
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
I PM'ed you with my numbers. If you're interested in a ride Keybank Tom and I could probably put something together. If you don't have a bike, then maybe you could arrange for a factory demo and pick it up at Blue Sky Cycles in Saratoga. They are open Saturday and there's usually a group ride Sunday morning. Lori works there and could probably arrange something. Let me know what you'd like to do--or not do--as my weekend plans are pretty open right now!

BBDave

RABikes2
10-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Saratoga Springs is a great town! :D I believe the place is called the "Putnam Market", on the main road, right down from Blue Sky Cycles, is a wonderful deli/market. You can order lunch and sit outside and enjoy "people watching". I agree with Bill regarding the Battlefield. The history and surrounding scenery overlooking the Hudson River are worth the trip there. If you get a chance to tour the factory, don't miss out on it! Say "Hi" to Ben and crew! :banana: Great group of people at Blue Sky Cycles. :)

hooverone
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
You should be within two hours of richard sachs shop why not go over and get fit for a sachs and get on the 3 year waiting list?

Would be great to see Richards shop.

Jim

OnceFast
10-19-2004, 06:45 PM
If you want to hike consider doing Buck Mountain. It's a 6.6 mile round trip(4 hrs.) with 2000 ft. of climbing. There are terrific views of Lake George from the top and good spots to have lunch. We did it on Columbus day and the foliage was not yet at peak. To get there go north on I-87 to Exit 20. Take Rt. 9 north to Rt. 149. Turn left on 9L and go for a while until you come to a right hand turn for Pilot Knob and Kattskill Bay. About 3-4 miles from this turn is the parking area for the Buck Mountain trailhead. Don't go into the first trailhead parking that you see which is after the first mile. It should be about 30 min. from Saratoga Springs.

For dinner try www.thewinebarofsaratoga.com. The quail and the monkfish are great.

Have fun - Saratoga is a great town.

Ken Robb
10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm sitting out the rain just south of Albany tonight and hoping for better weather in S Springs tomorrow. If any of my friends have more ideas for what I should do/see please call my cel-858-405-7701. Thanks, Ken