PDA

View Full Version : the 411 on Ritchey compact crank models

eddief
10-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Ritchey is doing its level best to confuse the marketplace. Their web site and many places on the net would suggest there are both a Pro and WCS model of this crank generally available in the US. The WCS is the model with the partly polished crank arms and black outer and silver inner ring as installed on the Dbrk Big Leg Emma. Most of the places on the net show the Pro model with black arms and silver rings. Excel shows the Pro on their site but is actually shipping the WCS. Aebike.com shows the Pro and describes the Pro.

According to Johannes at Ritchey all compact cranks in the US are the WCS model. I was just curious because aebike has 'em for about $125 and the ones at Excel are $200. I ordered from aebike and will be anxious to see what shows up at my door.

Obviously have not done too good a job of breaking the bike buying habit.

bfd
10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Its my understanding that ritchey's 110bcd compact double crank is only available in black as the pro, and the one aebikes sells for $125.

Unless they came out with something recently, the silver wcs double crank is 130bcd and thus, not a compact. So, if you order a compact crank, it should be black.

eddief
10-18-2004, 05:05 PM
attached is a photo of the Pro. The WCS is one with the polished lines on the crank arms. According to Ritchey the WCS is the only one available at this time in the compact model. The WCS is pictured at this link:http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=105903&cat=110&brand=206

eddief
10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
My Ritchey compact crank arrived today from aebike. In fact, I ordered the Pro model as pictured on the website and was sent the WCS model with the arms in half black/half polished. Rather nice at a more than fair price.