PDA

View Full Version : does your spouse or s.o. share your passion ...

Spinner
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
... for cycling?

my wife of 26 years enjoys occasional rides on our co-mo tandem and she periodically requests that we go for a spin. nonetheless, she doesn't share my attraction to most things bicycle. she does however understand my proclivity and encourages me to ride whenever i choose. she says that i'm always in a better mood after a roll.

how about you? is your s.o. into the sport like you, are they supportive of your biking desires, or are they somewhere else on the scale?

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
That's an interesting question. It depends on her mood. Sunday for instance when I was busting my hump in a breakaway at a Crit she was so proud of her hubby another woman spectator even told her to be quiet she was cheering so loud for me each time I came by.

Today she was angry at me for something and asked me to sell my bike. I'd say she doesn't share my passion for bikes, but she's a passionate woman and I love that. LOL

SadieKate
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank goodness, yes. Because I just had new cross wheels built and swapped everything out, but needed the Paul's canti's re-adjusted. I can do the big stuff, but he fine tunes everything for the Princess. :rolleyes:

paczki
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes. And for mocking as well.

Ti Designs
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Not any more...

Cdub
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
She likes it much more than my golf habit. We go on rides occasionally, but she thinks i am a little over the top. Six bikes and four extra sets of wheels in a living room might have something to do with it. Oh ya and I just announced I needed a new road rig!

She too thinks I am in a better mood when I get back from riding.

Ozz
No....she does enjoy watching the tour though.

She is glad it makes me happy, but given choice, she would rather I be at home.

MilanoTom
Nope. I'm not sure I understand it either. She's 100% Italian and digs Italian culture (even opera, for heaven's sake), but she couldn't care less about the rich Italian cycling heritage or their craftsmanship & design. She was over in Italy for a couple of weeks last year, and emailed about how she hightailed it out of a town early, so she wouldn't get stuck there when "some big bike race" came through later in the afternoon (yeah, that big Italian bike race).

Maybe it has to do with her aversion to exercise....

Regards.
Tom

frogpirate
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Yes, absolutly, she got me into it. She is also why I'm on this forum (one of her bikes is an Ottrott ST).

Sometimes she thinks I am over-the-top, but then she just crewed for RAAM, so who is over the top?

We have been to France together for the tour, and she has been twice pre-me. We would go back (or to Italy for the Giro) in a heartbeat.

timto
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Not so much the equipment love but we've commuted together for years, road ride together and have done unsupported and supported tours as well.

While she doesn't 'get' the gear junky part of it she puts up with my obsessions

honey what bar tape would look best? What color should I get my sachs painted ... etc etc :beer:

93legendti
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
... for cycling?

my wife of 26 years enjoys occasional rides on our co-mo tandem and she periodically requests that we go for a spin. nonetheless, she doesn't share my attraction to most things bicycle. she does however understand my proclivity and encourages me to ride whenever i choose. she says that i'm always in a better mood after a roll.

how about you? is your s.o. into the sport like you, are they supportive of your biking desires, or are they somewhere else on the scale?

My wife is 100% supportive. Before her knee injury, we did 2 bike tours togethr and rode the tandem together around here. Now, she puts up with bikes in the house and garage; bike magazines everywhere; bike clothes hanging to dry in the laundry room, and watching the TdF every day.

David Kirk
07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm a lucky man in that Karin more than understands. In fact I'm pretty sure she puts in more miles than I do at this point.

Good stuff.

dave

vqdriver
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
nope

:D

slowgoing
07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
nope

+1

and glad she doesn't.

93legendti
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm a lucky man in that Karin more than understands. In fact I'm pretty sure she puts in more miles than I do at this point.

Good stuff.

dave

Then, maybe Karin should answer if you support her biking! :D

IXXI
07-23-2008, 06:09 PM
No she _did_ not.

The search for Ms. Right Fit continues...

BigMiles
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
she definitely supports all the sports I am involved with but doesn't participate in any of them....unless it's on tv...at that point she will yell at the tv, cheering on her team or rider

pdbrye
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
NO :crap:

I must admit I feel somewhat envious when I see a fit couple kitted out and riding together...

And she doesn't ski either...but my 13 yr old daughter does. Woo Hoo, I take her on annual ski trips to Snowbird! She even skied Great Scott this year :banana:

Mike748
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Nope. I've tried for 20+ years, but she's just not interested. I've shifted my focus to getting my almost 11yr old daughter hooked. So far, so good. She and I are riding the Hotter than Hell next month on our tandem... shooting for the 50 miler.

PBWrench
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Like other posters, my wife appreciates all the positives that I get from cycling. She does, on occasion, resent the time away from family, but I try hard to get up early, ride late, etc, to limit that. She finally got a bike two years ago and enjoys riding. She quickly realized that riding together ( she's quite a bit less intense than I!)made us both crabby. So sometimes we go on bike rides together . . separately. :beer:

chuckroast
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Worlds collide Jerry...worlds collide!

Actually my wife has been supportive of my riding and it's easier now that our kids are long gone. She did a stint of about 4 years where she liked the tandem and we did 3 MS 150's together, she loves the patches and pins that she collected on for the centuries.

The last couple of years though, she's had some back problems and doesn't enjoy the tandem as much. So, not so much riding anymore.

GregL
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I won the lottery... twice! My wife is an avid cyclist. She has always enjoyed cycling for pleasure and fitness, but never caught the equipment or racing bugs. That was at least until two years ago. One of my co-workers is a tandem enthusiast. He convinced my wife to try a few rides as stoker on his tandem. The speed and power got her hooked. Last year we bought a tandem and she really got the bug. We now ride the tandem more than any other bike in the house. We participate in the local TT series and ride in races that have tandem classes. On the local Wednesday night club rides, we ride on the front and surprise a lot of the racing crew by hanging on in the hills. We plan on tackling the state TT championship this year and possibly masters nationals next year.

AND my 9 year-old daughter has become a cycling enthusiast too. On tonight's ride, she asked when she can get clipless pedals for her MTB. She'll be ready for a 24" wheel road bike next year and can't wait. The only downside to a family of cyclists -- my bike budget is getting stretched thin!

Regards,
Greg

Steevo
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
My wife is an avid, daily runner. I hate running, but support her "habit". She supports my cycling, and on occasion will break out her hybrid for a short ride with me. This past spring, I got my 5 yr old daughter going on a 2 wheeler. I see some family rides in my future.

RPS
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
my wife of 26 years enjoys occasional rides on our co-mo tandem and she periodically requests that we go for a spin. nonetheless, she doesn't share my attraction to most things bicycle. she does however understand my proclivity and encourages me to ride whenever i choose. she says that i'm always in a better mood after a roll.+1
Except for the 26 years.
She's not into cycling or aerobic exercise like I am, but our two tandems make it possible for us to ride together on a regular basis.

TAW
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
My wife is a non-athlete, and doesn't enjoy any type of sporting activity. However she is very supportive of my cycling. She's only been to one of my races, but she allows me to buy pretty much what I want to have within reason, and she works it out with the kids so that I get to train and race as much as I can, which I greatly appreciate. It's so nice to have a wife that's not as selfish as I am.

Louis
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Then, maybe Karin should answer if you support her biking! :D

I heard that Dave forces her to ride some hand-made stuff he cobbles together himself. To think that she could ride a nice Trek, but noooo....

Pete Serotta
07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
someone sent me a message saying some posts were missing from this thread....anyone else know see something missing?

Thanks PETE

Kevan
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM
that she likes to see me roll the bike outdoors. She's supportive and worries and calls the bikes "the other women".

deechee
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
When my gf and I met, she was starting triathlons coming from a swimming background. Within two years she qualified for age group worlds, and joined a women's cycling team. I don't know if it was burn out, or the falling out we had with our tri club, and cycling team but she's had absolutely no desire to bike beyond commuting this year.

She isn't the gear nut I am, but she also encourages me to ride since she knows how happy it makes me. I hope she gets motivated soon because she has a ton more talent than I do and I miss training with her.

SManning
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
My husband is extremely supportive of my cycling habit. When Dave announced price increases last winter, Matt really encouraged me to put down a deposit for a Cross bike, purchase new Campy components, etc. I race about once a month and train 7-8 hours a week, Matt is very supportive of my endeavors and really supports me. He's a great, great guy.

We used to ride together all of the time but since my husband's back surgery he doesn't ride as much as he used to. We went out on a bike ride as a family last night and it was so much fun. My daughter loves bikes, she can't wait to go to the bike shop to pick her bike out. When she gets on her scooter, she even swings her leg behind the saddle isntead of stepping through the bike. Yeah!!!!!

Spinner
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
She's not into cycling or aerobic exercise like I am, but our two tandems make it possible for us to ride together on a regular basis.

there is indeed something wonderful and unique about riding a tandem with your s.o.

while riding singles with my wife, i always worried about where she was in traffic and how she would handle potholes, close cars, the edge of the pavement, etc. on the tandem, i can control those issues.

there is joy in riding a tandem. the speed and power are cool, however getting into sync as a team has special rewards. and, it always amazes me to see people smile and wave at us as we go down the street. people are really intrigued with seeing a tandem couple in motion. :D

SadieKate
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
there is indeed something wonderful and unique about riding a tandem with your s.o.

while riding singles with my wife, i always worried about where she was in traffic and how she would handle potholes, close cars, the edge of the pavement, etc. on the tandem, i can control those issues. Control those issues or control your wife? :confused: :confused: :confused:

RPS
07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Control those issues or control your wife? :confused: :confused: :confused:Not to be politically incorrect, but maybe some wives don't want to be in control under all circumstances. ;)

In our case my wife -- who generally likes to be in control -- doesn't like to worry about having to shift, brake, look at the road, etc. She much prefers to sit, pedal as little as possible, and take in the views. And that works for us most of the time.

Occasionally her soft pedaling becomes an issue; but rarely since I don't care how fast we push unless we are trying to stay with a group.

bocarider
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Here she is after climbing up to 7,777 feet on our recent trip. Having gotten her a new bike 4 months ago, she is suddenly becoming quite the gear hound too. I am a lucky guy to have a wife that enjoys cycling almost as much as I do.

Spinner
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Control those issues or control your wife? :confused: :confused: :confused:
... sorry for the lack of clarity.

my wife is probably one of the most self-controlled individuals that i have ever met. there is no way in the world that i could control her; it just isn't in the cards. that's one of the things that i love about her.

that said, on the bike my wife is not into the element to the same degree as me. when she rides her single she typically does slow-speed neighborhood cruises, nothing long, nothing fast. she is very fit, yet she doesn't relish the edge, either on a bike or on snow skis. she would never even want to do single track off a mountain in crested butte. and, she does ask me to hold the speed down when we are in the hills on the tandem; i'll scrub a little, sometimes.

carol on my co-mo is a song indeed. we can enjoy my avocation together, at my pace and then some. and i love the different driving experience that a tandem provides.

Ginger
07-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes. I'd say so...and he's much more attentive to gear than I am.
But I wouldn't call him a gear freak...it's just what he does.
http://www.llewellynbikes.com/main.htm

zap
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes.

I'm more into the tech and spend more time cycling, but man, we have a blast riding the tandem.

Looking forward to our ride Saturday am. Great climb, much along a cool stream, up too camp david (hey george, come ride with us) and swoop (no, really swooooooop) back down to the valley. Then it's perfect tandem terrain back through awesome marryland countryside.

It's but one example and I think we are lucky to be able to do it.

Ti Designs
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
The tandem thing is hit or miss. Barbara and I loved riding the tandem together, there was a connection there that can't be put into words. But then I also sell tandems and the scenario is very often the same: The guy loves to ride, riding with his lady is either too slow or just doesn't happen. So, if they got a tandem they would ride together, and the cost of the bike would make it hard for her to not go along - how's that for a little pressure? I've seen too many stokers with death grips on the bars, looking like they were on the scariest roller coaster ride ever. Both captain and stoker need to be honest from the very start or it's just an expensive mistake.

Speaking of expensive mistakes, I'm now the proud owner of 1-1/2 tandems. The mountain tandem is mine, the new road tandem is half mine, half Barbara's and I don't see the sawzall as a good solution to this one - talk about expensive mistakes! But getting back to the original question, If you date someone with two tandems...

SadieKate
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
... sorry for the lack of clarity.Just checking. :) I know women who pilot tandems and I know women who should be the pilot on the tandem. Testosterone should not be the deciding factor on who pilots.

A well-matched pair on a tandem is a thing of beauty in many ways.

vqdriver
07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
re: tandems

just out of curiosity and in light of the tandem discussion. how do you size a tandem for a shorter captain, be it male or female?

Karin Kirk
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I heard that Dave forces her to ride some hand-made stuff he cobbles together himself. To think that she could ride a nice Trek, but noooo....

I feel like the luckiest wife in the world.
Every few years I get a new custom frame whether I need it or not! (next one is in the process of being built up :) )
Dave supplies excellent advice on everything from crank length to tire color, then lets me make up my own mind on what to get.
Drafting behind Dave is akin to motorpacing, only with a much better view!
Sometimes we ride together, sometimes not. We have slightly different tastes in our riding, so this works perfectly.
And on big Tour stages like yesterday, we rouse ourselves out of bed early and watch the live coverage with maybe an extra pot of coffee and some French toast.
la dolce vita

RPS
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Testosterone should not be the deciding factor on who pilots.That is correct, but size and strength should be consideredr. And it just turns out men are generally stronger and bigger.

My wife, as an example, weights 105 pounds and isn't strong enough to captain a tandem with me as the stoker. Her upper body strength is inadequate to handle a heavy tandem if we stood to climb or sprint.

Fortunately she knows and accepts her limitations so it's not an issue.

RPS
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
how do you size a tandem for a shorter captain, be it male or female?You could get a custom tandem but it's not really needed most of the time in my opinion. Try the Santana site which has information on that issue.

You can select the tandem based on the captain's size and then fit the stoker by using the proper seat post and adjustable tandem stoker stem. That provides a lot more adjustment than you'd think. Just make sure the rear compartment is long enough to accomodate the larger stoker -- and that's usually not much of a problem since many tandems are of similar length at rear across different sizes. Normal rear top tube lengths vary from about 28 inches to a fairly long 32 inches or so.

If you are thinking of buying, try to borrow or rent one first. As Ti stated, it can be a hit or miss thing. And even if you think it's for you both, start out with an entry level unit (I'd try used from a couple who "missed") to make sure you will stick with it. You can always upgrade at a later time.

SadieKate
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
You can't assume the wife is smaller.

I speak from experience (and as a stoker with an excellent and larger clydesdale size pilot). Couple A is matched in size; Couple B has a taller and strong wife.

Couple A - Husband knows wife is the better bike handler and lets her pilot. As far as I know, they are still riding off into the sunset together, smoking everyone else.

Couple B - The wife is not only larger, she is by far the more skilled cyclist. Husband lets testosterone rule. Even forces the custom builder to make a frame to really stupid specifications (another story). Husband dumps wife over edge of Pacific Coast Highway 1, abandoning the bike as it goes over. She lived to tell about it but the tandem and all other bikes are permanently gathering dust.

I know other couples who are somewhat matched in size also. They need to let more skilled rider pilot. Lives are at stake.

RPS
07-24-2008, 02:08 PM
You can't assume the wife is smaller.Can't or shouldn't? :rolleyes:

Granted I shouldn't assume "all" wives are smaller, but as I stated, "generally" husbands are bigger and stronger. A few exceptions as the one you mention don’t contradict a general trend.

The couple you mention shouldn't be riding together, on a tandem or otherwise. Based on your description, maybe they shouldn't even be married.

SadieKate
07-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Can't or shouldn't? :rolleyes: Touché. And me an English major . . . :)

Spinner
07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
The tandem thing is hit or miss.

i know a couple where the wife is a highly-accomplished endurance athlete. her husband is not a slouch by any standard.

they rented a tandem for several days on a recent vacation. day 1 the hubby is at the helm. this did not work well. day 2 the lioness is at the controls. this didn't work either.

hubby reported that 2 days on a tandem nearly ended their marriage.

guess the mojo wasn't there.

RPS
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
guess the mojo wasn't there.Hence why there are so many great deals on lightly-used tandems.

girlie
07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Here she is after climbing up to 7,777 feet on our recent trip. Having gotten her a new bike 4 months ago, she is suddenly becoming quite the gear hound too. I am a lucky guy to have a wife that enjoys cycling almost as much as I do.

When you posted this your post # was 77 :)
Your wife must be a holy person with all those 7's.

shinomaster
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I think I'm dating some kind of cycling phenom. She has no cycling background except a short commute to work each day. On Sunday we rode 20 miles (she on her junky bike) and she blasted up a big hill forcing me to wake up and chase her! I couldn't believe it. Today on the way to work she kept up with me as I raced over the bridge to work passing five other commuters like turtles. She passed a woman on a fancy carbon trek. It's really funny because she has no idea how talented she is. When I look back at her she is smiling like a puppy, always chasing. When I finally get her set up on decent bike she will likely dust me. I bet if I slapped a number on her back and sent her up a mountain TT she could kick some serious girl butt.

torquer
07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
My wife is the TV viewer in the house, I'm the cyclist. Not that she's a couch 'tater, just that my tolerance for idiocy is apparently lower than hers.

This year, we have cable access to Versus for the first time, and the TdF is something we both can look forward to each night. We DVR the live AM broadcast, and try to avoid news sources that would spoil the suspense.

Fortunately, this year there seems to be a race to be passionate about.

Volant
07-24-2008, 03:29 PM
No....she does enjoy watching the tour though.

She is glad it makes me happy, but given choice, she would rather I be at home.

+11 But, mine doesn't enjoy watching the tour. She thinks those are hours we could be working! (she's a workaholic)

Cinci Jim
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
No she _did_ not.

The search for Ms. Right Fit continues...

+1

(unfortunately)

CMY
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I picked up an older bike I had in the 'rents garage for my girlfriend and gave it some new wheels, tune-up, etc.

So far, so good.. we did 20 miles on Saturday and had a great little night ride on our way to visit some friends at a local bar last night. At first she looked at me like I was crazy for suggesting we take the bikes (she asked me to call a cab?) and then got really excited once she realized that what I was proposing was purely for the fun factor. :)

Ti-Boy
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
My wife and I got into mountain biking together and then road riding together. We have only taken one non-athletic (MTB,biking,skiing) vacation in the last 15 years. Although she denies that she has lost interest in biking, she has not been on either bike in over a year. She supports my addiction completely, but we do have seperate checking accounts. :beer:

alimey
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes - both addicted! I gave my husband an mtb as an engagement present. The first thing we bought together was a tandem (which we took on honeymoon - this bride was not wild about the idea of only having 10lb personal luggage . . .)

After being married for 2 years we realised we had about 14 bikes between us (road, mtb, tandem, track, folding, expedition . . .) - then we decided to go away & get qualified as coaches. Then we decided to go away & get qualified as mechanics. Then we decided to quit our jobs and open a bike business (fitting, wheel building etc. . . .) And so 'The Bike Whisperer' was born!

What a fantastic shared passion - now we are glued to the Tour!!

paczki
07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes - both addicted! I gave my husband an mtb as an engagement present. The first thing we bought together was a tandem (which we took on honeymoon - this bride was not wild about the idea of only having 10lb personal luggage . . .)

After being married for 2 years we realised we had about 14 bikes between us (road, mtb, tandem, track, folding, expedition . . .) - then we decided to go away & get qualified as coaches. Then we decided to go away & get qualified as mechanics. Then we decided to quit our jobs and open a bike business (fitting, wheel building etc. . . .) And so 'The Bike Whisperer' was born!

What a fantastic shared passion - now we are glued to the Tour!!

Awesome :banana:

capybaras
07-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Yes. And for mocking as well.

oh, really?

capybaras
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
When I finally get her set up on decent bike she will likely dust me. I bet if I slapped a number on her back and sent her up a mountain TT she could kick some serious girl butt.

No wonder you are dragging your feet on getting her a bike :bike:

shinomaster
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
No wonder you are dragging your feet on getting her a bike :bike:

No Mr. Huge Rodent we just need more $$$!

Trouble
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, my wife mountain and road rides with me... and can usually out ride me distance wise (picture the tortoise vs hare)...I especially enjoy riding behind her ;)
She is a platinum rider in the local El Tour de Tucson...I'm not, although I am her domestique and help her get platinum.

One room in the house is dedicated to bikes...5 bikes, 2 trainers, work stand, closet full of gear and clothing.

It's nice having your best friend and wife as your biking partner too.

oldfatslow
08-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Couple B - The wife is not only larger, she is by far the more skilled cyclist. Husband lets testosterone rule. Even forces the custom builder to make a frame to really stupid specifications (another story). Husband dumps wife over edge of Pacific Coast Highway 1, abandoning the bike as it goes over. She lived to tell about it but the tandem and all other bikes are permanently gathering dust.

Wow. Holy Sheet.