PDA

View Full Version : Sore sits bones--Shorts recommendations

rspecker
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
My sits bones get very sore. I'm working through saddle research and some recent posts have been helpful.

Question:

Do shorts matter in this respect? Does extra cushion in the chamois matter over longer rides (70-100 miles)?

Any recommendations on favorite shorts? No bibs--too hot.

Thanks!

girlie
07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
How long as in weeks, months, years have you been riding?
If you are new your sit bones are going to hurt for a little bit of time. BUT if they continue to hurt then somethings up.

fiamme red
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
What saddle do you use?

benb
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Make sure you're sitting on the saddle straight.

Sounds silly but it doesn't take much of an alignment/fit issue to move your sitbone onto the wrong place on the saddle, at which point no saddle will work.

CNY rider
07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
In general I've found that thicker chamois=less comfortable, to the point that when I tried gel shorts years ago they were completely unusable.

I'd second girlie's question: Are you a new rider?

rspecker
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I ride 1 day a week, typically 50 miles.

Every once in awhile I ride more often.

I am doing 500 mile tour later this year.

I've been riding for about 7 years with on and off frequency, but never totally out of the sport.

I have switched saddles a lot recently (an old Selle Italia pro link gel, an old Turbo, a Fizik Aliante). I think the Turbo may be the best--but it hurts too.

deechee
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
funny.

after a month of being away for work, I came back to some time off and after a day or two my sit bones really hurt. It took a week of solid riding to get my butt back. That said, the Santini gel bibs + assos cream was the most comfortable combo.

Saddles make a diff, but so do where you're placing them. (Are you on the sweet spot?) I'm not as skinny as I used to be but I'm still ok on the Arione and Arione Tri.

chuckred
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM

I've been riding for about 7 years with on and off frequency, but never totally out of the sport.

I have switched saddles a lot recently (an old Selle Italia pro link gel, an old Turbo, a Fizik Aliante). I think the Turbo may be the best--but it hurts too.

Spend more time on the saddle - you're not giving your butt time to toughen up! You may do better to do some shorter rides in between - but I think if you're only riding once a week and then going for a fairly long ride, you're not giving yourself a chance to get used to any saddle.

Next time you go out to fiddle with a new saddle, ride for the hour instead! Try riding every day for even a short period on the saddle you think you like the best, then see how it feels...

barry1021
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM

one long (50 mile) ride as your only weekly ride isn't going to let you develop a bike butt. You would be better served getting out a couple more times a week, even for 30-45 minutes. Also, +1 to what every body else says about fit with the saddle and your sit bones

b21

dekindy
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
First of all, go bibs instead of shorts. Do a search and read if you are skeptical. I conservatively estimate that 80% to 90% of the cyclists that try bibs never go back to shorts, myself included.

Next, don't skip on price. More expensive shorts/bibs have thinner, better supporting chamois that are definitely worth the higher price. Going from riding only 1,500 miles per year to 4,500 now and getting in with a higher mileage crowd has given me this insight.

One of the best ongoing values is Hammer Nutrition's shorts/bibs. They have a top of the line Voler chamois for a much cheaper price as long as you do not mind advertising for HM. The new ones are even better looking than the old style that I have. The word is getting out so they are sometimes out if stock. Be patient and check regularly on HM's website or call them. The time that I inquired the estimated restocking date was very accurate.

Also using a lubricant helps immensely. Plain old Vaseline is recommended by a cyclist physician. I am not home or I would provide you the link to the article. As soon as my Bag Balm and Chamois Butr are depleted I am trying Vaseline.

regularguy412
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Disclaimer: I am not a professional bike fitter and don't play one on TV. Some or none of what I am about to say may work for you.

I had this same problem early on in my cycling 'career'. I started out on a Cannonale Criterium Series 3.0 aluminum frame with a Vetta Turbo saddle. I had been riding for about 9 months, doing about 150 miles per week. After my first century ride on that thing, I couldn't bear to sit on the saddle for three days afterward. I tried every saddle that I 'thought' would help. It was not until I got my Serotta fitting that I 'magically discovered' what the problem was.

For me, the issue was two-fold. First , I needed to sit on the bicycle properly. That meant getting the fit right. I also discovered that I had a 'short leg' on my right side. I shimmed that cleat/shoe for half of the discrepancy length -- or about 3.5 mm. I also went to a narrower saddle -- on the order of 127 mm at the widest point.

My advice is: get a good fit and make sure you don't have any unaddressed bike fit issues. Also try out different width and shape saddles. As a very general rule of thumb, the more upright your position, the wider (relatively) your saddle should be. Additionally, the more horizontal your position (upper body more horizontal, flatter back relative to the pavement), the narrower a saddle should be. This is due to the way your sit bones are shaped. A more horizontal position allows for more weight to be carried by the hands and fore arms-- and, consequently, less on the saddle. This helps alleviate some of the pounding from the road. Also if a saddle is too wide for your position, every bump and every pedal stroke tends to try and pry your sit bones apart. Don't ask me how I know this.

Additionally, a more forgiving frame material ('good' steel, especially) helps lessen the road shock. When I finally got my CSI built up and rode it, I knew within the first mile that it was a dramatic improvement over the super stiff C-dale Crit bike that I had been riding.

What others have said about chamois thickness is, imho, valid. Thicker is not necessarily better. You're better off adjusting fit, position on the bike, pedaling style, saddle type/ size or other factors, rather than trying to put a Band Aid on the solution using a thicker chamois. It just causes other, more severe problems.

It only took me 7 years of pain, and dozens of saddles to finally get it right. Hope it helps.

Mike in AR:beer:

eyemage
07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I've been battling saddle soreness off and on for awhile now. Here the steps I recommend in order:

1. Check the seat alignment (make sure it's level) and the proper height.

2. Use a lubricant. I think Assos chamois creme is the best (and most expensive), followed by Chamois but'r. Assos lasts longer than Chamois but'r. But, Chamois but'r does come individual packs so you can apply in the middle of a long ride. I was using inexpensive ($4) Walmart Queen Helene's Cocoa butter, but I've since developed a skin allergy.

3. Use a bib. Assos again is the best and most expensive. Hammer Voler has great reviews and tremendous value. I also like Castelli Free. As someone previously posted, go with bibs and you'll never go back to shorts. Then again, I prefer zippered pockets in the shorts. So, I'll wear the bib, and put on unlined shorts (more like a shell) over the bib while rolling up and tucking in the straps over the edges. It also makes pit stops easier.

4. If all these things fail, then I would change the seat. The seat long distance riders seem to prefer are Brooks. Keep in mind Brooks sometimes needs a break in period.

Ahneida Ride
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Get a Brooks. (B17 Ti)

I now ride in plain old Black Cotton shorts, nix the Tighty Whiteties.

If ya Saddle is comfortable, Exotic padded shorts are not required.

Smiley
07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Get a Brooks. (B17 Ti)

I now ride in plain old Black Cotton shorts, nix the Tighty Whiteties.

If ya Saddle is comfortable, Exotic padded shorts are not required.

Yo Ahneida .......... TMI Baby :banana:

I Want Sachs?
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
My sits bones get very sore. I'm working through saddle research and some recent posts have been helpful.

Question:

Do shorts matter in this respect? Does extra cushion in the chamois matter over longer rides (70-100 miles)?

Any recommendations on favorite shorts? No bibs--too hot.

Thanks!
Likely saddle issues. I like PI Ultrasensor shorts.

rspecker
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
My take away:

1. Ride more!
2. Check the fit on the bike/position on the saddle
3. Saddle shape may matter, but probably less than the 2 above
4. Chamois, etc. may matter but not as much

I will admit that I had many fewer issues back in the day I was riding a lot more. Sigh.