PDA

View Full Version : New (used) Fina Estampa

LegendRider
10-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I bought a friend's Fina, in part, because so many folks on this board love and recommend them. The bike's paint was in bad shape so I sent it off to be repainted (no more red zoo!). I expect it by the end of the week and should be riding it by next week. I'm anxious to compare it to my Legend. I'm hopeful it's a little snappier - my Legend seems to need some time to get up tp speed.

Are all Pegoretti's welded/brazed by Dario or are there others in his shop? If someone else built the bike, why does it have such a following? Round tubes, traditional geometry and contruction by an underling? Just playing devil's advocate, but why is it better than a Cannondale. If I had the best welder at Cannondale mimic Pegoretti geometry, would I have the same bike? I'm anxious to hear everyone's thoughts (jerk, dbrk, etc.)

Thanks!

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
a 'dale is just a cheap american beer can. An aluminum frame from Dario is a beer can with heart, soul, etc.........................................
I'd rather ride a nice Caad 7....

Matt Barkley
10-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Dario has the best understanding of frame materials of anyone I have talked to and he articulates that to someone like me who doesn't build bikes for a living. He does all the welding on his frames. His brother as I understand it helps with finishing and other parts of the business.

It ain't just about geometry - it ain't just about material - it ain't just about good welding... In fact it is more than all three of these as I understand it. An overall sensibility of what each frame in each size of each material should do is a desirable goal. You can't just copy someone else's work - because you don't know exactly all of what you need to be copying - and therefor will not get the same result.

Gerard_CSI
10-18-2004, 03:45 PM
I won't say that Matt is wrong......but I disagree somewhat. If proper materials are used, proper welding done, and proper geometry, it doesn't matter if it is welded by Ben, Dario, or Mr. Bean.......
A builder's passion for his work is nice for conversation, but thats about it, IMHO.

Climb01742
10-18-2004, 03:54 PM
from what i understand, dario welds all the frames himself. the master is a one man show, welding-wise, with his brother handling the business part. trust me, the fina accelerates like a bat out of h*ll. you'll be amazed. and happy, i think.

but i'm curious about your legend. why do you think it takes a bit to get it rolling? shouldn't ti have a nice "snap" to it?

Matt Barkley
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Gerard - Maybe I need to clarify - Specific geometry and even moreso selected tubesets are sometimes impossible to copy. :rolleyes: :beer: - Matt

csb
10-18-2004, 10:23 PM
...if mr bean welds like he excavates teeth