PDA

View Full Version : "My wife says I have to sell a bike"

2dogs59
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
What is with all the classifieds stating " my wife tells me I have to sell a bike"..... when ya got married did you turn in your ability to reason ?
1) Bikes are cheaper than a extra-marital "girl friend"
2) Get her bike
3) beats watching golf in a LAZY BOY, and better for you.
Good grief .......

girlie
07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
What is with all the classifieds stating " my wife tells me I have to sell a bike"..... when ya got married did you turn in your ability to reason ?
2) Get her bike
Good grief .......

Ok I'll bite:D
Yeah no ****.
I think maybe they mean their mom's want them to sell a bike.
Get a spine boys;)

slowgoing
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
hard to generalize when each family has its own unique financial condition to consider.

plus, I'd rather sell a bike (assuming I still have another to ride) to make my wife happy than as part of a divorce.

Ginger
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Any time I read the "My wife tells me I need to sell a bike" I assume the wife only has one pair of shoes.

Or, the poster doesn't keep their stuff in neat stacks and it's infringing on the living area
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/2006CrossNats/IMG_0033.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/2006CrossNats/IMG_0036.jpg

for some reason my portland album is empty...I'll update when I have a better picture of "stack-o-bikes"

stackie
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the ammo, Ginger.

Jon

girlie
07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
hard to generalize when each family has its own unique financial condition to consider.

plus, I'd rather sell a bike (assuming I still have another to ride) to make my wife happy than as part of a divorce.

It's the public announcement that makes me say get a spine.....cause obviously he is not agreeing to the transaction which:
1. makes him appear to not be able to speak up.
2. would trade his child for a new Colnago in a heart beat.
3. really isn't married at all.

:D

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 10:59 AM
As if selling it is gonna stop her B*&ching. sorry, just venting. :p

girlie
07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
As if selling it is gonna stop her B*&ching. sorry, just venting. :p

get a divorce :p

paczki
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Hmmm... I got to get some more bikes to keep up with my girlfriend.

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Nah, I bought a good set of Bose Noise Canceling Earphones instead. :p

girlie
07-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Nah, I bought a good set of Bose Noise Canceling Earphones instead. :p

Did you sell a kid to do it ;)

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Did you sell a kid to do it ;)

LOL. I'm a collector, I never sell anything. motorcycles/cars/bikes/kids. oh great, now I realize my wife has a point. I gotta sell some stuff.

SadieKate
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Any time I read the "My wife tells me I need to sell a bike" I assume the wife only has one pair of shoes. Wait, I have more bikes and shoes than my husband. Of course, he's ordering another frame today . . . whew.

girlie
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL. I'm a collector, I never sell anything. motorcycles/cars/bikes/kids. oh great, now I realize my wife has a point. I gotta sell some stuff.

Can I have the headphones?
I'll PM you my ship to address.

TMB
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Really not hard to understand.

Only so much room in ANY house and at some point you start tripping over crap and the walls start to move in.

The only question is how big is the house as this determines how long it takes the walls to start moving in.

In an uncharacteristically prescient bout of forward planning, when we built this house I put 12 foot ceilings in the garage. Since I hang the bikes from the garage roof, so there is full headroom under them, and it's a 2 car garage, I can add lots of bikes before I get to that point, but I'll still get to it at some time.

Kane
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm going miss you. :(

Do you know why divorce is so expensive?

Because, it's worth it! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Kane

Gothard
07-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I have one wife and many toys. Or the other way around.

*all* my bikes are still cheaper than *one* set of wheels on any of the Porsches we used to own.

Ozz
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Did she say why she wants you to sell one?

Money?....you've already paid for them, you won't get much if you sell one
Space?.....maybe
To prove she's the "boss"? no comment.

ada@prorider.or
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
2) Get her bike
Good grief .......

ok you right honey then 2 month no sex (lol)

Bruce K
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
M-A;

That first photo caused me quite the double take.

I couldn't figure out what cross race you were at that you were able to get a photo of my cross bike and whsoe bikes I was parked between.

Then I realized it wasn't my Serotta cross bike afetr all (I don't have a blue fork).

Where were the photos taken?

Isn't this thread a little like the "How many bikes is too enough bikes?" thread from a while back.

The answer was something like "One less than will get you divorced."

BK

djg
07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
2) Get her bike
Good grief .......

Notice that the ads pretty much never say "have to sell THE bike."

Some people turn in their ability to reason, some just put it on the shelf on purpose before thinking "ooh, pretty, gotta have a ninth road bike because . . . "

Unless folks are in desperate circumstances, it's all good. There's marketing, and process, and give-and-take, and positioning, and, heck, for lots of us who did just fine in life before marriage (and since), it's useful, if not always flattering, to have a decent editor around as we write our own stories. I'm keeping a road bike, and a cross bike, and a fixed gear road bike, and, as for the wife, I will hang around as long as she will let me.

hansolo758
07-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I have way more bikes than I need -- some people who know me would say I have more bikes than brains.

My wife, bless her, has never directed me I have to sell one but sometimes she does raise her eyebrows when I talk about getting another one. Why shouldn't she? Every now and then I need to be reminded - gasp!- that my bike habit ought to have limits.

mister
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
i think it's just a way for them to make a potential buyer think they really don't want to sell it.
if they really loved it that much they wouldn't sell it.

deechee
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
its just the voice of reason. who cares. I like the "wife told me to sell it" bikes cuz they're usually pretty sweet.

my gf has more bikes than me though.

chuckred
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
every now and then...

She knows I use things until they disintegrate...

She knows they're a cheap mid-life crisis.

She doesn't understand why I keep the older ones, but doesn't argue about it.

girlie
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
i think it's just a way for them to make a potential buyer think they really don't want to sell it.
if they really loved it that much they wouldn't sell it.

WINNER! :)

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
You guys aren't gonna believe this, but my wife just called me a few minutes ago and among the things she said, one was,... "Your riding is taking away too much time from me and the kids, maybe it's time to sell a bike."

I'm living proof, they do say it!

fiamme red
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
You guys aren't gonna believe this, but my wife just called me a few minutes ago and among the things she said, one was,... "Your riding is taking away too much time from me and the kids, maybe it's time to sell a bike."

I'm living proof, they do say it!She wanted to say it in person, but you were wearing those noise-cancelling earphones. :p

girlie
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM

I'm living proof, they do say it!

Or buy more bikes....one for everyone in the family. AND MAKE THEM RIDE!
Seriously did she really:) ?

johnnymossville
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Or buy more bikes....one for everyone in the family. AND MAKE THEM RIDE!
Seriously did she really:) ?

She really did. I immediately thought of this thread and had to cover up bursting out laughing.

You know what though? I've figured out that she uses it as a bargaining chip to get something she wants. When I get home tonight I'll figure out what that is.

She's the only one in the family that doesn't have a bike yet and I'm working on fixing that. She's a terrible rider, but I would LOVE if she had something nice to ride with me and the girls sometimes.

palincss
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
It's the public announcement that makes me say get a spine.....cause obviously he is not agreeing to the transaction which:
1. makes him appear to not be able to speak up.
2. would trade his child for a new Colnago in a heart beat.
3. really isn't married at all.

On the other hand, it does forestall a lot of questions about "what's wrong with the bike, what didn't you like," and it has an air of truthiness, so maybe it's just a socially acceptable excuse rather than an actual fact.

2dogs59
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
One word : TANDEM !

girlie
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
On the other hand, it does forestall a lot of questions about "what's wrong with the bike, what didn't you like," and it has an air of truthiness, so maybe it's just a socially acceptable excuse rather than an actual fact.

If you accept being called spineless by the girlie :p ;) :D

palincss
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
If you accept being called spineless by the girlie :p ;) :D

If one is willing to settle for truthiness rather than actual truthfulness as a social convenience, wouldn't one also be likely to settle for spineyness rather than actually having a spine?

girlie
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
If one is willing to settle for truthiness rather than actual truthfulness as a social convenience, wouldn't one also be likely to settle for spineyness rather than actually having a spine?

Does that mean I'm sharp?
I think I'm sharp ;) :D :p (I love these little faces)

OtayBW
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I can see it now:

'Does this bike make me look fat??????' :eek:

girlie
07-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I can see it now:

The answer to that is always "YES!"

slowgoing
07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I can see it now:

The answer is no, it's your arse that makes you look fat.

OtayBW
07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
The answer to that is always "YES!"

Only thing to be gained by that answer is the conservation of your precious bodily fluids! :D

Pete Serotta
07-24-2008, 07:02 AM
someone mentioned some posts missing from this thread. Anyone else having a problem viewing? THANKS

Ahneida Ride
07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
someone mentioned some posts missing from this thread. Anyone else having a problem viewing? THANKS

Perhaps the Mrs. has more power then we imagine? :D