PDA

View Full Version : dbrk Ramble roll call

Smiley
07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
So who's going and where are u staying and when will u be up there.

Karen and I are coming up Thursday the 7 th staying at the Red Carpet Inn in Canadiaga and I am working on Kelly Bedford to post for this event. I think Serotta Pete, Karen and I are going out to dinner Thursday, anybody else want to join in.

Bringing the new Co-Mo tandem for Hill Training for Majorca in the fall :banana:

Pete Serotta
07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I will be at the ACORN starting Thursday evening.......

Smiley
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Pete, u bringing some of your stash :)

Pete Serotta
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Pete, u bringing some of your stash :) :beer: :beer: of course....

Kevan
07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Staying two nights at the ever so loverly Hampten Inn in Rochchester/Victor.

taz-t
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
:beer: :beer: of course....

i prefer NW Pinot Noirs... Stacy likes Malbecs (just sayin')

- taz
:D

taz-t
07-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Are you shipping a bike, flying with it, or planning on borrowing one from Dr. B.??

- taz

palincss
07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Staying at Greenwood's, arriving on the 7th.

Ahneida Ride
07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
At Greenwoods

Arriving Friday sometime .... not quite sure yet. ;)

Karen will be there ... RIGHT ? :banana:

SamIAm
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
My wife and I will be there, staying at the Acorn.

Still trying to figure out the bike shipping thing. Anybody shipping their bike? To where?

Hardlyrob
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm in.

Getting there sometime on Friday - depending on work stuff, leaving Sunday.

I'm staying at the Finger Lakes Inn.

With a little luck, this will be the inauguration of the new Kirk.

Cheers!

Rob

keno
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Red Carpet, arriving Friday-time depending on whether there is an afternoon ride.

keno

johnmdesigner
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Will be at the Fingerlakes Inn on Thursday night. :banana:

Kevan
07-23-2008, 08:42 AM
will be so clogged with bicycle laden traffic, the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Woodstock festival, back in '69.

Be prepared to desert your vehicle, unpack your crap and ride.

William
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
At Greenwoods

Arriving Friday sometime .... not quite sure yet. ;)

Karen will be there ... RIGHT ? :banana:

I'll be sleeping under the bed. No beans for you!! :no:

William :D

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
. . . and sharing a room with FMS rider at the Finger Lakes Inn. Look for my black Mazdaspeed on the Thruway westbound . . . license is SROTAROX

Breakfast meeting with other forumites Friday morning would be great. I have also mapped out a possible warm up ride Friday morning up Bopple Hill . . .

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Finger-Lakes-Inn-Bopple-Hill

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will be playing the Full Zebra card at least once during the weekend. ;)

BBD

Pete Serotta
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Tom is shipping to the "wrench" that DBRK uses. Send them a note to get his email. Another suggestion is call ACORN and see if you can ship there... (I have shipped to hotels/inns in the past.)

PETE

My wife and I will be there, staying at the Acorn.

Still trying to figure out the bike shipping thing. Anybody shipping their bike? To where?

A1A
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I plan to be there at least on Saturday, possibly camp out Saturday night at the local campground and hang around for the Sunday morning ride.

dbrk
07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Greetings! Our Finger Lakes Ramble is soon and I'm looking forward to seeing you all again or to meet for the first time. The weekend is brought to us this year by CyclesTournesol with warm, fuzzy hugs to Serotta for allowing us to originate the conversation here on their Forum those years ago.

A few points of logistics:
Anyone who would like to ship their bike to my home is welcome to do so.
Douglas Brooks/dbrk
7296 Gregg Road
Bloomfield, NY 14469

Or you can ship to:
Mendon Cyclesmith
1350 Pittsford-Mendon Road
Mendon, NY 14506
ph: 585.624.2120
Craig at the shop will know what to do.

Anyone who needs to borrow a bike, please drop me a line and I will try to help. If you are coming in early, drop me a line and perhaps we can meet, go for a ride, or have a meal.

Most of the gravel roads in the Lakes are pretty rough from all the rain. We'll see some but it'll be mostly pavement.

For detailed updates have a look here: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum under Events

This is an informal event, everyone comes and rides at her or his own risk, of course. No forms or disclaimers, just friends.

See you soon.
dbrk

Pete Serotta
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Douglas, thanks once for getting all of us together....

If I can be of any assistance, I as well as SMILEY, get in on Thursday (unless you need me sooner for something)......

pete

sc53
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Well I finally made up my mind to make it to the Ramble again--staying at the Wolfpack B&B in Bloomfield which looks to be about 4-5 miles from Dr. Brooks's barn. Got my jersey already too! Rich delivered it pronto yesterday so I'm all set to be holding the whole group back as I labor slowly up the Finger Lakes "rollers." :D Hope the rain holds off this time, though I DO have fenders on my Atlantis this year.

CNY rider
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I finally made up my mind to make it to the Ramble again--staying at the Wolfpack B&B in Bloomfield which looks to be about 4-5 miles from Dr. Brooks's barn. Got my jersey already too! Rich delivered it pronto yesterday so I'm all set to be holding the whole group back as I labor slowly up the Finger Lakes "rollers." :D Hope the rain holds off this time, though I DO have fenders on my Atlantis this year.

NOW it's a party.

Looking forward to seeing you there. :beer:

Smiley
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Its beyond a PARTY its a hoot in Anny :banana: Judge Sarah will keep us all inline :)

tiger
07-25-2008, 05:17 AM
. . . and sharing a room with FMS rider at the Finger Lakes Inn. Look for my black Mazdaspeed on the Thruway westbound . . . license is SROTAROX

Breakfast meeting with other forumites Friday morning would be great. I have also mapped out a possible warm up ride Friday morning up Bopple Hill . . .

BBD
That's the typical route we locals would take to do it. Route 5+20 (Eastern Blvd) is not bicycle friendly, but is possible with caution. From your hotel take 5+20 west to Main Street, go right on Main street, then left on Parrish Street (at the Sunoco station). Take Parrish St. to the first light, and then go left onto West Lake Road. Take WLR almost to the end, and then take a left onto Seneca Point Rd. Take Seneca Point (fast downhill!) until it ends, where Bopple begins. Gear down as you make the swing onto Bopple as it rises steeply very soon. At the top of Bopple pause to vomit and gaze of the graveyard for unfit cyclists.

To return, a nicer ride is to take a right on Route 21, then turn right at Monk's Road. Take Monk's to the end, then right on Seneca Point, first left onto Coye Road, then a right back onto West Lake Road and retrace the route back to the hotel. The Route 21 route you drew is OK, but has faster traffic and is less scenic than the way I've suggested. It does, however, have the advantage of a great ice cream shop (in Cheshire, about 7 miles from the end of the ride).

jsfoster
07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
"Be prepared to desert your vehicle, unpack your crap and ride."

I will be arriving Friday late morning. Will be missing the Woodstock backup, by traveling Route 17, a directline from the Tappan Zee.

Staying at the beautiful 'Bristol Woodlands'. I have BBB's map, looks like a nice ride. Hoping for good weather!
-Jon

Kevan
07-25-2008, 08:37 AM
"Be prepared to desert your vehicle, unpack your crap and ride."

I will be arriving Friday late morning. Will be missing the Woodstock backup, by traveling Route 17, a directline from the Tappan Zee.

Staying at the beautiful 'Bristol Woodlands'. I have BBB's map, looks like a nice ride. Hoping for good weather!
-Jon

Jon,

Any idea how traveling time compares 17 vs. the thruway? 17 has to win out on scenery and maintaining nerves. I'm 15-20 minutes from the Tap myself.

Kevan

sc53
07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
CNY--is Marina coming again too? I hope so! Maybe with a bike this time? How many bikes are people bringing? I'm bringing two, Atlantis w/fenders and CSI w/Ruffy Tuffy's.

BumbleBeeDave
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
. . . and the Zebra Bike will be riding with me. Who knows, might be able to stuff FrankenBee in there, too!

BBD

jsfoster
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Jon,

Any idea how traveling time compares 17 vs. the thruway? 17 has to win out on scenery and maintaining nerves. I'm 15-20 minutes from the Tap myself.

Kevan

Route`17 goes across NY state as a divided quick highway. Watch out for police, esp in catskills. Should not be longer than Thruway.
-Jon

FMS_rider
07-26-2008, 11:25 AM

BBDWarmup, my (admittedly old) @ss! The first attachment is BBD's hill; the second may have to be my alternative. Two ~1/4 mile sections of ~16% avg and ~20% max with a short 4% respite might end my day, even with a triple!

Lew

Ahneida Ride
07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Jon,

Kevan

When I drive to Chicago, I take the Thruway. On the way back Rt.17

Rt.17 (I88?) is definitely longer and windy. No doubt about that.

It depends on where one is starting from.

If both routes look equidistant, take the thruway to save time. Rt. 17
for a more scenic dalliance.

Rt. 17 will save ya some frns.

H.Frank Beshear
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm up for a Friday morning ride that does not include silly steep hills on the opening day. I to am staying at the Finger Lakes Inn and would like to find the less steep back way to the top of Bopple so we can laugh at the oxygen deprived as they arrive ;) . See you in a couple weeks. Bye for now, enjoy the day. Frank

hypnos
07-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm up for a Friday morning ride that does not include silly steep hills on the opening day.

I'm in for Friday, maybe Thursday afternoon as well. Don't worry Frank, you can easily bypass Bopple Hill Rd. My fitness is in the toilet this year, so I may also go around.

Jeff

dbrk
07-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Greetings Ramblers,

Listen, Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith is going on holiday. It would be MUCH better to ship your bikes to my home, if you haven't already shipped. Please drop me a note if you have questions or need help.

I'm not sure I will have time early Friday to lead a ride near/up Bopple. Surely, Hypnos and other locals know the way. But hopefully I'll be available if we go early enough.

The Friday "scheduled" ride starts about 5pm from my house. It's usually a two hour spin on the rollers, nothing as steep as Bopple but the usual sorts of FL climbs.

Please write to me here: dbrk@frontiernet.net and please check the Events page here http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/ for updates and details.

dbrk/Douglas Brooks
7296 Gregg Road
Bloomfield, NY 14469
Home phone: 585.229.7414

p.s. The house is in Bristol, NY but Bristol is too small to have a postoffice...but, yes, we are a town. Mapquest to the above address.

CNY rider
07-27-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm in for Friday, maybe Thursday afternoon as well. Don't worry Frank, you can easily bypass Bopple Hill Rd. My fitness is in the toilet this year, so I may also go around.

Jeff

Translation for those who haven't ridden with Jeff:

This year I might only be able to ride up and down Bopple twice in the time it takes you to do it once. Normally I can go up and back three times. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
My fitness is in the toilet this year.
Jeff

Ha!

Please allow me to translate this for the unenlightened.

I now can climb only as fast as a first stage Saturn booster Rocket.
I am now as slow as a mu-meson in a particle accelerator.
I now have time to teach Mountain goats to climb.
A methamphetamine-addicted rabbit got within 100 yards of me.

Tom Byrnes
07-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I have been isolated and away from a computer and cell phone and internet coverage and just read this thread.

Debbie and I are arriving on Thursday evening and will be staying at the Acorn Inn. I am shipping my Tournesol to Douglas's (now that I know that Craig will be on vacation).

We arre looking forward to seeing everyone.

Best,

Tom

BumbleBeeDave
07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
. . . and no one will want to go up Bopple with me on Friday morning. This will allow me to simply SAY I went up Bopple without really doing it and then amaze everyone with how fresh I am on the Friday evening ride after "climbing Bopple" earlier in the day! . . . :p ;)

BBD

Pete Serotta
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Dave, we have a case of salsa tubes (yes yellow) in case you have a rerum of the last rides... In fact there is a lottery on it!!

I am in for FRIDAY AM (if TOM is)...for he will pull me up BOPPLE

. . . and no one will want to go up Bopple with me on Friday morning. This will allow me to simply SAY I went up Bopple without really doing it and then amaze everyone with how fresh I am on the Friday evening ride after "climbing Bopple" earlier in the day! . . . :p ;)

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
This year I have replaced all my tires with SOLID RUBBER tires. I know it will slow me down just a bit, but it's the only way I could find to guarantee that I will not repeat as the Finger Lakes Flat Tire King!

BBD

palincss
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
This year I have replaced all my tires with SOLID RUBBER tires. I know it will slow me down just a bit, but it's the only way I could find to guarantee that I will not repeat as the Finger Lakes Flat Tire King!

BBD

don't be so sure: there was a message on the C&O Canal list today by a guy who tried it on solids, didn't make 100 yards before a tire failed.

Kevan
07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
arriving noonish Friday, we could do something strenuous...

like meet somewhere f'r lunch.

Whatcha say....some energy food for the Friday evening fling? Maybe a nap in between.

Tom Byrnes
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
arriving noonish Friday, we could do something strenuous...

like meet somewhere f'r lunch.

Whatcha say....some energy food for the Friday evening fling? Maybe a nap in between.

Great plan!!

FMS_rider
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM

BBDHa! Guess I will have to wait at the top after doing the shortcut. :p
Lew

sc53
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll be getting there sometime Friday lunchtime or early afternoon, in time for the "official" 5 pm ride from The Brooks Barn. Don't think I will be doing Bopple or anything else before then!
Are we also having a Jumble at the conclusion of the Ramble this year? I still have unsold items from two years ago! Fire sale time!!

BumbleBeeDave
07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I certainly have some clothing I could bring. Not sure about other bits, though . . .

As for Bopple, I'm still waffling. It would be nice to say I've done it, but it might leave me blown for the rest of the weekend's rides when I really want to be fresh--and there will definitely be other hills to climb during the group rides!

Also, assuming for the moment that the dinner at Douglas' is Saturday night, does anyone want to make group dinner plans for in town after Friday evening's ride? There's several decent places.

BBD

Ken Robb
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
[As for Bopple, I'm still waffling. It would be nice to say I've done it, but it might leave me blown for the rest of the weekend's rides when I really want to be fresh--and there will definitely be other hills to climb during the group rides!

BBD[/QUOTE]
"Climb it" in your car so you won't really be lying when you tell people you did it. :)

johnmdesigner
07-28-2008, 11:48 AM
I will be driving up Thursday and would like to get together with anyone for dinner that night. Or if anyone can give me some recommendations (this is my first time visiting) it would be appreciated.
I'm also up for any rides on Fri. :banana:

Pete Serotta
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=johnmdesigner]I will be driving up Thursday and would like to get together with anyone for dinner that night. Or if anyone can give me some recommendations (this is my first time visiting) it would be appreciated.
I'm also up for any rides on Fri. :banana:[/QUOT

We are all probably seeing SMILEY somewhere around where he is staying. Feel free to come. PETE

sc53
07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
BBD--Friday night dinner in town with whatever group is around would be good! PM me your cell so I can phone you when I'm up there. I'll do the same. You and I can Jumble even if no one else wants to! I liked some of your striped socks as I recall...and you got some pretty nice wheels off of me too. ALSO--weren't you just posting about lacking a torque wrench? I have a brand new one I've never used, I'm bringing it up, be prepared to try and buy!!
--Sarah C.

BumbleBeeDave
07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
BBD--Friday night dinner in town with whatever group is around would be good! PM me your cell so I can phone you when I'm up there. I'll do the same. You and I can Jumble even if no one else wants to! I liked some of your striped socks as I recall...and you got some pretty nice wheels off of me too. ALSO--weren't you just posting about lacking a torque wrench? I have a brand new one I've never used, I'm bringing it up, be prepared to try and buy!!
--Sarah C.

. . . you wily vixen of free enteprise!

I did indeed buy those sweet Shimano wheels off of you--and then traded them to Bruce K for a set of Easton Vista's that would take my 9speed cassette. I'll try to bring my cross bike so you can see what good use I put them to!

Hmm, let's see . . . what else could I sell?

BBD

Smiley
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey ALL , lets make sure we all have each others cell numbers as I am staying at the RED CARPET INN with Keno and we are up for a group dinner Friday nite as well Thursday nite when we get in. So who ever wants my cell pm me please. Smiley

Ginger
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
There are a few things I might take to the Jumble if I had actual buyers on hand...I'll post the stuff in the classifieds, but it would be more like an exchange...I'm not bringing my Hollywood hitch bike rack or my Park work stand if someone else isn't taking them home with them. :)
I'll post up in the classifieds.

Ginger
07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Since ya'all seem phobic about checking out dbrk's post over at velocipedesalon, he also posts information on restrooms and changing areas at his place:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20848#post20848

Friday, August 8th:
*"Official" first ride is 2hrs, begins from my house, departs promptly at 5pm from my driveway.
*Suggested dinner at MacGregor's Pub in Canandaigua. Easy access, nearby, excellent beer selection, typical pub food.

Saturday, August 9th:
*Morning Ride, departs promptly at 8:30AM from my house for THREE hours. Please arrive early enough to have yourself together.
*Lunch at my house at 1pm will be burgers, boca burgers, dogs and not-dogs, slaw, potato salad, junk food and picnic food. Veg and non-Veg food provided.
*Afternoon ride, 3:15 start, 1.5-2hrs only.
*Jumble: sell your crap on my lawn, starts whenever you like but 6pm will be the official time. All deals are private, of course.
*Dinner at 8pm at my house will be Indian and Italian both. Dinner will be only vegetarian.

Sunday, August 10th:
*Morning ride, departs 9am, two hours.
*Lunch, informal, leftovers, at the house when we are done. Bring some clothes so you can eat and hang smelly.

hypnos
07-28-2008, 08:29 PM

BBD

You need not tell any tall tales, Dave. I'll bypass on CR 21 and watch you summit from the top. Hell.... I'll even bring a camera and snap a souvenier photo.

hypnos
07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Translation for those who haven't ridden with Jeff:

This year I might only be able to ride up and down Bopple twice in the time it takes you to do it once. Normally I can go up and back three times. :beer:

No fool'n. I really do suck this year.

hypnos
07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm in for a Thursday afternoon ride and/or dinner. I can make reservations for Thursday evening. Just need the head count and what type of restaurant.

Jeff
585.739.7747 (cell)

Ken Robb
07-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm in for a Thursday afternoon ride and/or dinner. I can make reservations for Thursday evening. Just need the head count and what type of restaurant.

Jeff
585.739.7747 (cell)

I can't remember its name but there is that good Italian place on a sort of alley off Main St. where Leslie and I had a fine meal on our last visit. The owners of Oliver-Phelps B+B got us a reservation.

Heck if you have a big enough group you might be able to have a special meal served at the culinary and wine institute by the lake.