PDA

View Full Version : so i just got some open corsos

vqdriver
07-22-2008, 05:06 PM
i just mounted a pair of vittoria open corsos on campy eurus wheels. is it me or was the mount especially tough? this is my first set of campy wheels and first set of vittoria tires so i don't know if the rim is large or the tires run small. the size i'm running is 25.
when i initially set up my wheels, i had continentals on there cuz i just love their toughness. but i decided to risk additional flats for increased ride quality. when i was on shimano, i used shimano wheels and any tire seemed to be a tight fit. it was just kinda annoying at first but it was doable and midride repairs were few and far between anyway.

but the way vittorias fit on the campy wheels could be enough of a delay to ruin a ride if i get a flat. any experience with these products? do tire beads stretch?

RocketDog
07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Campy rims generally make it tougher to mount clincher tires. I'd be careful with my tire choice for the winter time in colder climates. It's even harder when you can't feel your fingers. Trust me on this one.

shiftyfixedgear
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
At the shop I used to work at we ran into many people with Campy wheels and tire fitting issues. There were other rims that also caused nightmares - older MA40's / MA2 and the absolute worst rim ever made in history : the infamous Matrix (Trek OEM house brand) Titan Aero POS from the early 1990's. They were so poorly designed that I've recommended people replace their wheels when they ask what options they had for making tire changes easier.

I found the Schwalbe tires to mount much easier than Contis, Vittorias, or Michelin. And the better Schwalbes ride every bit as nice as the other tires IMHO, although the cotton Vittorias are especially smooth.

Finally, the Vittorias may stretch a wee tiny bit and make fitting easier after some time at high pressure. But I doubt it will make much of a difference.

JumpStart
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I ride with a Euros-Vittoria set up also, and really like the ride quality. My older Euros wheels require rim tape (I understand the newer Euros wheels do not). I also found it difficult to mount vittoria's as well as conti's

I switched to a light weight/thin rim tape, and that made mounting the tires easier, however, beware the tape is easy to dislodge when changing a tube, uncover some spoke holes and cause a chronic case of flats.

thinpin
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I've always had this issue with campag rims. I get round it by mounting the tyres on some old wheels/rims that are easy and inflating them a little (80/90psi). Leave them for a few days and then mount them on the campags - makes life a little easiier but requires a little planning. But then Ive never need to mount new tyres THIS minute.
Rocketdog is right about the cold too!

rustychisel
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
They will stretch, but they'll never be the easiest to mount, as suggested. Nice tyres, but they cut up like buttah!