Is this true?
Also does 10 speed make any real difference vs
the old 9 speed?
I'm considering upgrading my old '98 Ultegra
to the new 10 speed version.
Thanks for your help!

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 10:05 AM
If ya want nicer looking components, and probably a little smoother (maybe...) ..then upgrade. Going from 9 speed to 10 speed ain't gonna do you any good...... :beer:

Serotta PETE
10-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Only upgrade if you like the looks of new components. The shifting smoothness might be a little better but the 9sp shifts real well already.

In addition, besides the cost of group, the chains on 10 speeds historically have not lasted as long and cost more to replace than 9sp. The cassettes are the same story.

Lightness is a personal objective of many, but it makes little performance difference (over the length of a ride). Wheels and rolling weight make the differnce here.

It is not to be thought that I follow my own advice though. I like new toys as much or more than anyone else. :) :) :rolleyes:

coylifut
10-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I find that the action on the DA 10 speed is a lot lighter (read that as, it takes less hand strength to operate). Also the hoods seem to be more comfortable and it shifts substantially better under load. With that said, I tend to ride things until I break em. I find that buying a complete bike is usually a far better deal then upgrading components. However, sometimes updating a bike makes an old friend new again.

Jeff N.
10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Its not the 10th speed thats necessarily the selling point to the new Dura Ace/ Ultegra. Its the feel and the lightening-fast, switchblade-knife-like response to input and the stiffness in the BB area. Overwhelmingly superb. Unmatched. Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2004, 11:42 AM
. . . brings up the whole debate about how stiff it really needs to be, which is connected to how much torque you can generate as a rider. Beyond a certain point it doesn't seem like it would matter which BB you use if both are stiff beyond your ability to generate enough power to make them flex.

I know when I looked at the new DA I was much more impressed by the redesigned levers and their ergonomics than I was by the 10 speed upgrade. I would spring for the levers if I could make them work with the rest of my 9-speed drivetrain (which I apparently cannot) but would not blow the dough on the whole gruppo.

If Ultegra is designed substantially the same as DA, then you would have the same questions/problems as with the introduction of the DA . .. namely, the shifting may be crisper, but the tolerances are also finer, which may mean more frequent adjustments are needed and it's easier for the whole setup to get out opf adjustment. I know for sujre it would mean more frequent chain replacement because several reviews of the new DA gave just that caution.

BUT . . . I also know from personal experience that my original 9-speed DA BB clicked and creaked on my Legend's Ti frame no matter what I and my LBS tried. I read several reviews on roadbikereview.com that referred to the 9-speed Ultegra BB as being a bit heaver, but much more reliable and less creak-prone than the DA. So I replaced my DA with the Ultegra and--Poof!-- no more creak problems. Does this same relationship exist on the 10 speed? Not sure, but it might be worth checking and actually be a point in favor of going with the less expensive but slightly heaver Ultegra BB.

BBDave (That's BumbleBeeDave, not BottomBracketDave!)

OldDog
10-18-2004, 11:49 AM
a Campy group and experience eternal bliss :banana:

Regards,

The Devil