PDA

View Full Version : Goat heads at Cherry Creek res.

CSi guy
07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
So I took out my mid 80s team Raleigh with a pair of brand spanking new veloflex crit sewups and was only about 20 minutes into the ride when I noticed a rock? on my tire side wall. I thought with the pavement and tar that a rock had stuck to my tire. To my horror when I flicked it off the tire it was a goat head (thorn) and I could hear the air coming from the tire and was totally bummed. With the thought of changing the sew up I noticed the tire was still somewhat inflated so decided to try and get home. To my amazement the tire stayed inflated all the way home and even an hour later it could have been rdden. Later that afternoon it gave up and went flat. I have never had this happen and usually have a burst of air from the tire and then totally flat. Any thoughts? On another note the Specialzed boys were out in force riding at breakneck pace between the strollers, and I even had a guy who I passed on an uphill cling on my rear wheel...I didn't realize we were racing!!!! My reaction when this happens is to just stop and let them move on. Hopefully there ego has been stroked enough for the day!! The dude who was staying with in Frances buddy won a stage in the tour yesterday, Credit Agric. Gerrans I did not see my connection who is the team doc. I am loving this tour.

konstantkarma
07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Ahh fond memories. I used to ride the Highline and Cherry Creek MUTs a lot. One day I was feeling frisky on my Mtn bike and chased a couple of prairie dogs off trail. I picked up about 50 goat head thorns in my tires, and walked to the nearest phone. I can hear them prairie dogs laughing to this day.

TMB
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
So I took out my mid 80s team Raleigh with a pair of brand spanking new veloflex crit sewups and was only about 20 minutes into the ride when I noticed a rock? on my tire side wall. I thought with the pavement and tar that a rock had stuck to my tire. To my horror when I flicked it off the tire it was a goat head (thorn) and I could hear the air coming from the tire and was totally bummed. With the thought of changing the sew up I noticed the tire was still somewhat inflated so decided to try and get home. To my amazement the tire stayed inflated all the way home and even an hour later it could have been rdden. Later that afternoon it gave up and went flat. I have never had this happen and usually have a burst of air from the tire and then totally flat. Any thoughts? On another note the Specialzed boys were out in force riding at breakneck pace between the strollers, and I even had a guy who I passed on an uphill cling on my rear wheel...I didn't realize we were racing!!!! My reaction when this happens is to just stop and let them move on. Hopefully there ego has been stroked enough for the day!! The dude who was staying with in Frances buddy won a stage in the tour yesterday, Credit Agric. Gerrans I did not see my connection who is the team doc. I am loving this tour.

Interesting comment about just stopping to let people move on.

Wondered if I was the only one that did this.

I was riding in Arizona about a week ago, Saturday morning. Beautiful day, sun shining and peaceful. I was out alone.

A group of 4, plainly "serious" riders doing a ragged pace line passed me. They no sooner passed me than they slowed down and started riding two abreast, while they chatted.

I have to admit they were driving me crazy becasue they were weaving all over the place while they talked, I had to keep riding my brakes to stay back and worst of all, they had some sort of portable music system with them with speakers.

My quiet Saturday morning ride was now accompanied by some sort of head banging heavy metal.

After a bit of this I passed them and carried on my way.

Sure enough, the "pace line" picked up and they went roaring past me again, then slowed down into a 2 abreast ............................ ( You can see where this is going)

i just got off the bike, sat down and watched the hawks for about 10 minutes then carried on again.

Made the rest of my ride much more pleasant.

Joel
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
CSi guy it must have been the weekend for taking the Team Raleigh's out. In celebration of the Tour De France, I took my '81 out for a good metric century yesterday. Clinchers though...and the '73 Record equipment still works great.

Lovely bikes they were when new, and still are.

You got a picture of yours to post?

Joel