PDA

View Full Version : TdF calling

thinpin
07-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Who's doing the live commentry for you guys in the States...don't tell me its Nearly Senile Phil and his trusty sidekick Paul?
The amount of "faux pas" Phil L makes every night is getting worse. If I had'nt a pretty good handle on whats happening he'd confuse the hell out of me!

paczki
07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Who's doing the live commentry for you guys in the States...don't tell me its Nearly Senile Phil and his trusty sidekick Paul?
The amount of "faux pas" Phil L makes every night is getting worse. If I had'nt a pretty good handle on whats happening he'd confuse the hell out of me!

Paul and Phil in the morning. Phil is really outdoing himself this year with the "Phil-isms". In the evening recap it's Bobke, and his commentary has been great. Funny -- of course -- but very perceptive and interesting.

I wish the commentators went into the history of the sport before Lance and even Merckx. Even before Coppi. It's one of the great things about cycling, how they keep returning to the scene of the crime over and over again for a century.

johnnymossville
07-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Paul and Phil in the morning. Phil is really outdoing himself this year with the "Phil-isms". In the evening recap it's Bobke, and his commentary has been great. Funny -- of course -- but very perceptive and interesting.

I wish the commentators went into the history of the sport before Lance and even Merckx. Even before Coppi. It's one of the great things about cycling, how they keep returning to the scene of the crime over and over again for a century.

Hey, Paczki, that's a great idea. I wish they would do a feature each night on someone from the past also. This sport has a great and interesting history. Some people don't like that kind of stuff but I find it fascinating.

Fixed
07-21-2008, 09:31 AM
i would like to see the historic films from the past to ..it would be great imho
cheers

MarcusPless
07-21-2008, 10:00 AM

The Tour is more fun with a little Paul and Phil bingo (http://www.geocities.com/fourlakes_99/home/cycling/pnpbingo.htm). :D

ILikeTi
07-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the BINGO cards...I've been thinking about hosting a L'Alpe-d'Huez party for stage 17--your bingo game could prevent us from having to watch those same commercials over and over. On the other hand, perhaps watching the commercials just adds to our "suitcase of suffering".

thinpin
07-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the BINGO cards...I've been thinking about hosting a L'Alpe-d'Huez party for stage 17--your bingo game could prevent us from having to watch those same commercials over and over. On the other hand, perhaps watching the commercials just adds to our "suitcase of suffering".
LOL Dont get me wrong I love their gaffs just glad we all get to share!
Bingo cards will be modified and printed for Alp d"Huez night.
A few more
"No stranger to..."
" A man by the name of.."
"In the red zone ..."

MarcusPless
07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't take credit for the bingo cards; a co-worker pointed them out to me. While a lot of people like to complain about Paul and Phil I really enjoy them. Sure, they make a few mistakes along the way and they certainly do like to over-use a few phrases :D , but I'll miss them when they finally hang up their microphones. For me they're the voice of the Tour. Just add Bobke.

--Marcus

Charles M
07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
There was a chance at a flashback feature each day.

Also of a tech feature each day.

They both got scrapped (except if a company wanted to pay out the ass for a tech feature). What's a shame is that if one company didn't bitch about others getting it free when they wanted to pay, there would be a lot more cool bike gear stuff.

benb
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
My favorite is the "Suitcase of Courage".

Don't you think they do all this on purpose? :banana:

rounder
07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't take credit for the bingo cards; a co-worker pointed them out to me. While a lot of people like to complain about Paul and Phil I really enjoy them. Sure, they make a few mistakes along the way and they certainly do like to over-use a few phrases :D , but I'll miss them when they finally hang up their microphones. For me they're the voice of the Tour. Just add Bobke.

--Marcus

Me too. I would take the phil, paul and bobke show over any other team in any other sport. They know their stuff and are entertaining. Also, read the bobke books if you ever have a chance.

BoulderGeek
07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Bring back Kristen Gum!!

<ducks>

:bike: :no:

BumbleBeeDave
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
. . . should be "Dancing on the pedals." They say it so often it's virtually a "gimme."

BBD

cadence90
07-22-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't think mant people here speak/understand Italian, but for me Auro Bulbarelli and Davide Cassani (RAI commentators) are far better on so many levels than the "Phil and Paul Show", which imho has gotten real old real fast.

Marcusaurelius
07-22-2008, 01:19 AM
I love Phil and Paul. It just wouldn't be the same without them. They are by far my favourite sports commentators and as a rule I don't really enjoy comments while I watch sports.

cmg
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
my impression is that phil has made fewer mistakes this year than in years pass. watched the morning show for the last 10 stages, he did pretty good. The tour de france wouldn't be the tour without him.