PDA

View Full Version : Tire sizes: quoted versus actual

amator
07-21-2008, 03:01 AM
I am riding veloflex pave 22C clincher tires and it just clears the TOP arch of my front steel fork with about 3mm from the arch to tyre
Im looking for something that comes close this without actually riding an actual 20C. Perhaps a 20C that measures up to an actual 22 in height and width would be good. ....Something that is a bit hardier than the paves and rolls well.
Suggestions are appreciated. thks

EDIT: To cut to the chase and use exact terminology , Im actually looking for 23C;s with lower aspect ratio or 2OC tires with higher aspect ratio to approximate the 22c Paves.

torquer
07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I can't help you with tire profiles, but another approach, albeit a much more expensive one (the story of my life) is a wider profile rim, such as the one on the recently unveiled HED wheel (Bastogne?). Since any tire lateral section perimeter is pretty well fixed, if the clincher beads are wider apart the height of the tire will be lower.

The one downside of this approach (other than cost), at least on theory, is that this deforms the tire profile away from the circular ideal, which is always brought up in discussions of tubulars tires' benefits vis-a-vis clinchers.

Anyone who's tried the new HEDs may want to comment.

DfCas
07-21-2008, 11:16 AM
"Since any tire lateral section perimeter is pretty well fixed, if the clincher beads are wider apart the height of the tire will be lower."

I've found the opposite to be true. While trying to fit a too fat tire in a frame, it was brushing the underside of the brake caliper. I then remounted the tire on a 700c mtb rim that was ~4mm wider, and it locked up completely against the caliper.

dan