PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...

bostondrunk
10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Why is it that when I go to a road race, it always seems that the lower the category, the more Serottas and carbon cranksets I see???
I've never seen so many Serottas in one spot as I did in a field of cat 4/5 riders... :confused:

William
10-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Where they pink and ridden by elephants? :confused: ;)

Remember BD, it’s the one in the middle that really exists. The rest are just figments…or should I say remnants of a fifth of 151. :beer:

William ;) :D

Benjamin
10-18-2004, 09:27 AM
i think that's the case in most races i've participated in and watched.

two points:

one, cat 5 is always full of the stereotypical weekend-warrior types who spend a lot on their toys and want to show them off.

two, cat 1s and 2s own nice, custom bikes as well, but they know better than race them. cat 5 haven't yet learned that every race brings an easy opportunity to destroy your new $5k frameset and/or $1k wheelset.

JohnS
10-18-2004, 09:36 AM
...or they haven't decided whether they like racing enough to spend the money for a second (or third, or fourth) bike.

Serotta PETE
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
The good news is that they are out riding :bike:

coylifut
10-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Not where I live. Lots of Treks, C-Dales, Giants and young people riding them. Now, the masters catagories that's another matter all together. Benjamins assesment is consistent with my experience. The more experienced riders know that crashes happen and a 3k bike, that is absolutely going to be trashed for a few seasons, is a better use of $. Also, they generally have access to mass-market race bikes at a substantial discount through their club/team. They tend to put the extra $ in a couple of nice wheel sets. I think a ti Serotta still makes sense. I once saw one get roofed and although it collapsed the fork, the frame came through unscathed. I've seen minor crashes annihilate a few alloy bikes in my time.

When I first read this post, I thought it was a *itch slap to the face of all the owners of the tricked out bikes I see in the image galleries.

William
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
one, cat 5 is always full of the stereotypical weekend-warrior types who spend a lot on their toys and want to show them off.

Or, they're a bunch of new riders to racing who think you need to have top-O-the line stuff to do well (which is of course is what marketing tells them). If they stay with it, they soon learn that Oh so dreaded lesson, personally, or by a team mates loss. :confused:
When I started racing back in the early 90's, you saw a lot of Serotta's in the upper ranks, but they were getting good team discounts, plus, bikes weren't as expensive then as they are now.:no:

Not directed at anyone in particular: I always find it funny that some people who move up into cat 3,2, & 1 seem to forget that they were 4/5's at one time. :rolleyes:

William :)

Richard
10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
"I always find it funny that some people who move up into cat 3,2, & 1 seem to forget that they were 4/5's at one time."

Even funnier is the Cat 3 who never had results at 4 or 5, but moved up based on "experience," then looks down his/her nose at the 4/5 ranks.

Dekonick
10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Anyone who snubs any cyclist has their head in the wrong place :butt:

Anyone who races I applaud!

Anyone who thinks they are 'better' than those below them in the ranks : YOU also suck when compared to the Cat 1's - and they suck compared to the pro peleton - get over it!

I say ride! Its all about being outside, the burn in the legs, and the good company of friends. Look at all of those Serotta's and think how happy Ben and co must be! - if they were not buying Serotta's we might not have them to enjoy ourselves!

Honestly, I still dont see many Serotta's around Columbia, MD. Lots o Trek's, CAAD's, Giant's etc... :bike:

Too Tall
10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
All I see are bikes and riders.

weisan
10-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Dear Too Tall,

You are not only too tall, but also possess wisdom of a higher (taller)order. :p

weisan

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Anyone who snubs any cyclist has their head in the wrong place :butt:

Anyone who races I applaud!

Anyone who thinks they are 'better' than those below them in the ranks : YOU also suck when compared to the Cat 1's - and they suck compared to the pro peleton - get over it!

I say ride! Its all about being outside, the burn in the legs, and the good company of friends. Look at all of those Serotta's and think how happy Ben and co must be! - if they were not buying Serotta's we might not have them to enjoy ourselves!

Honestly, I still dont see many Serotta's around Columbia, MD. Lots o Trek's, CAAD's, Giant's etc... :bike:

and I suck compared to every one else. I could care less.
I'm having more fun the the rest combined !!!!

Dekonick
10-18-2004, 06:55 PM
:)

T Tall - I hear you can stomp the competition! :D

dirtdigger88
10-20-2004, 07:54 AM
How about this option, the cat 1,2,3 tend to spend more time training- so maybe their career isn't high on the proirity list. They ride for teams who give discounts on bikes. The 4-5's ARE the weekend warriors- monday through friday they are busy with jobs- thus they can AFFORD a 5k bike. I bought my bike to ride- weather it is a race or a solo ride- I don't care. Yes, when I was 20 something I was much faster and much much poorer

Jason

bulliedawg
10-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Why is it that when I go to a road race, it always seems that the lower the category, the more Serottas and carbon cranksets I see???
I've never seen so many Serottas in one spot as I did in a field of cat 4/5 riders... :confused:

The best racers are the ones who train the most. The one's who train the most are the ones who work the least. Therefore they can't afford the boutique bikes. The worst racers are the ones who train the least. They train the least because they work the most. So they have the money to buy the boutique bikes. Inverse relationship.

Lanny R. Levenson
10-20-2004, 10:28 AM
"The best racers are the ones who train the most. The one's who train the most are the ones who work the least. Therefore they can't afford the boutique bikes. The worst racers are the ones who train the least. They train the least because they work the most. So they have the money to buy the boutique bikes. Inverse relationship."

This sounds like my position on stereo equipment with some modification. When one can actually hear the notes, one can't afford the equipment. When one can afford the equipment, one can't hear the notes.

Lanny :crap:

Dekonick
10-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Sounds like life - you either have money or time.

Johny
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
The best racers are the ones who train the most. The one's who train the most are the ones who work the least.

If they don't make a living racing bikes...:D

Dr. Doofus
10-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Local survey:

30+ yo-yos going Cat 5 = lots of pricey bikes
30+ yo-yos Master Cat 3 = Team SCs, Princes, Fondriests, and C40s...either free or bought at considerable discounts becuase they "represent the shop" (yeah, but how much actual profit do these yo-yos bring in return for the bike at cost...try zero)

Drunk-approved racers: Whatever their sponsor will pay for if they crash it

In the words of that sage, "it just doesn't matter! it just doesn't matter! it just doesn't matter!"

Doofus (who races a lugged Merckx with a 62cm front-center...but that's the way Gert designed it...and that's what he's paid for....)