PDA

View Full Version : Soma Smoothie ES

fourflys
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Good afternoon all,
So, I've been wanting to experiance the feeling of a good steel bike and have been looking really hard at the Smoothie ES. I think a couple of people on here have this bike and I would love to hear anyone's opinions on this bike. I've been thinking of building it up with either Ultegra SL or one of the Campy groups, I'm hoping to stay under $2k.
Thanks,
Chris
San Diego

BTW- I'd love to have a Serotta, just think they're a little out of my price range right now. :)

cmg
07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
check in the serotta classifieds someone is selling a chorus group for the most part for $600.

regularguy412
07-19-2008, 06:48 PM
I have a Delancey with the 'new' 2008 geometry. It's a lugged frame and there are a few other differences in geometry between the two, due to the Delancey being an SS/fixie frame. The Smoothie ES is tigged.

That said, the tubing is the same, Tange Prestige butted tubing. My Delancey came with a steel Tange fork. The Smootie ES has the option of coming with a carbon fork or a steel fork. Bottom line: the ride is great. It's not in league with my CSI, but for the money it's a really nice bike. If you get the Smoothie ES, be sure to get some nice comfy wheels for it and you'll love it.

I built up some DT Swiss RR 1.2 wheels on 32 hole, IRO, high flange track hubs, 3x, using DT Swiss Revolution spokes and alloy nipples. I don't know your weight or the bike's intended use, but the lighter spokes really help cushion the ride.

The only thing I had to do to the Delancey frame was ream and face the head tube. The headset was slightly in a bind at full turn. I'd advise reaming and facing the BB shell too, before installing the bottom bracket. I didn't have to worry about that part, since I am using a Sugino BB that takes internal cups.

All in all, you won't be disappointed.

Mike in AR:beer:

fourflys
07-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks!

This bike will be my all rounder for the most part, I have a Giant TCX cyclocross bike that I'm riding now and will keep. I'll be using the Soma for my 44 mile RT commute, weekend rides, hopefully centuries and maybe some Cat 5 crits (?). My weight is around 185, hoping to get down to 175. What kind of wheels would you suggest?
Chris

staggerwing
07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Might also gander at Salsa's La Raza or Casseroll too. Both are nice rigs, as is the Smoothie ES.

As for wheels, are you going to build them yourself, or pick something already made. For the dollars, it is hard to beat something like the Ultegra hub/Open Pro rim wheelset (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile_combo.cfm?SKU=19253&estore_ID=&subcategory_ID=5320&CFID=14207454&CFTOKEN=50540299) at Performance. I can't even buy all of the bits to put those together for that price.

If you are thinking Campy, there is no shame in running Veloce. Surprisingly good for the money.

If you are patient, a little flexible, and OK with lightly used, all of the bits that you need will show up in the Classifieds. Might even find an interesting frame or two there too. I know I have. And, I have champagne tastes and a PBR budget.

Good luck on your build.

regularguy412
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Plenny of wheel builders on this forum with better input than I'll have, but I'll go out on a limb. If you're gonna race it as well as use it for a daily commute, some good, solid, reasonable wheels are what you're looking for. Maybe something like some Mavic Open Pro 32 hole rims, built up 3x with 14/15 DT spokes on your choice of Campy hub. I have a set built up in a similar fashion and I've haven't had to touch them with a spoke wrench. They have well over 5,000 miles on them, including many miles of fast training, and still true.

Maybe Ergott will chime in here.

Mike in AR:beer:

fourflys
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, I do like the Salsa frames also, just not digging that paint on the Casseroll! ;)

Anyone know anything about the new Kona Kapu steel bike?