PDA

View Full Version : Ceramics/mix and match shifting/cross "dressing"

93legendti
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Random thoughts for a Friday:

I put FSA ceramic bearing BB/cranksets on 2 bikes, replacing the same D/A 9 speed cranks and Ultegra BB combinations that are on all my bikes. The FSA's seem to spin easier and with less effort. I bought the 2nd FSA crankset/BB from a forumite after riding one on my Spectrum and noticing a difference. Is there a difference? Who knows. It FEELS like there is a positive difference with the FSA's.

I have 2 bikes with mix/mis matched shifting: My 1rst CSi with D/A 9 shifters, Ultegra 9 rear der. and Record front der. The cassette is Campy. My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket now has Record Carbon Ergo levers, Ultegra front der., Chorus rear der. and Shimano Capreo (105 quality) cassette.

The Bike Friday shifts MUCH better. The Campy front shifter works GREAT. The thumb shifter on the Ergo levers is in a place where I normally rest my thumb with STI levers, so that's a bummer. Also, it is harder to shift to a harder gear while standing or in the drops with the Ergo levers.

The Ergo levers are not only shorter in overall reach vs. STI levers, but they also seem lower.

Interesting stuff... :cool:

akenming
07-19-2008, 02:33 PM
do drop by to www.ebayfoco.com look through the articles there. With information on anything from getting the cheapest shoes, you'll find something that helps you save a lot of money.

Kane
07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
do drop by to www.ebayfoco.com look through the articles there. With information on anything from getting the cheapest shoes, you'll find something that helps you save a lot of money.

I think that it is okay to spam if it is somewhere near the topic. But cheap shoes vs. Campy/Shimano. Get out of here!

Cheers,

Kane

amator
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Random thoughts for a Friday:

I put FSA ceramic bearing BB/cranksets on 2 bikes, replacing the same D/A 9 speed cranks and Ultegra BB combinations that are on all my bikes. The FSA's seem to spin easier and with less effort. I bought the 2nd FSA crankset/BB from a forumite after riding one on my Spectrum and noticing a difference. Is there a difference? Who knows. It FEELS like there is a positive difference with the FSA's.

I have 2 bikes with mix/mis matched shifting: My 1rst CSi with D/A 9 shifters, Ultegra 9 rear der. and Record front der. The cassette is Campy. My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket now has Record Carbon Ergo levers, Ultegra front der., Chorus rear der. and Shimano Capreo (105 quality) cassette.

The Bike Friday shifts MUCH better. The Campy front shifter works GREAT. The thumb shifter on the Ergo levers is in a place where I normally rest my thumb with STI levers, so that's a bummer. Also, it is harder to shift to a harder gear while standing or in the drops with the Ergo levers.

The Ergo levers are not only shorter in overall reach vs. STI levers, but they also seem lower.

Interesting stuff... :cool:

Interesting yes...Arent campy freebodies and cassettes offset more than shimano?
i would think the rear D shifts would have been less than optimal but you've proven otherwise.

93legendti
07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Interesting yes...Arent campy freebodies and cassettes offset more than shimano?i would think the rear D shifts would have been less than optimal but you've proven otherwise.

That is beyond my meager tech knowledge, but it could be true.

The interesting thing is BF's shifting usually suffer a tad because of longer cables with lots of bends. This new shop I have been using sets up shifters perfectly...brakers are a little too tight for my taste, but they nail shifting every time.