PDA

View Full Version : it just feels right

Climb01742
10-17-2004, 04:11 PM
lately, i've been riding my pegoretti, merckx and IF a lot. then this morning for no special reason i grabbed a bike i hadn't ridden in a while, my CIII. a CIII is a modest, quiet bike. there are other, flashier materials than steel, and other flashier ways to connect tubes. but damn, a CIII just feels so right. it fits me better than any other bike i own, even though every other bike's fit is based on the CIII's numbers and positions of all the bits. yet that sneaky CIII still, somehow, just feels that few percentage points more perfectly fitted to me. i can't explain it, can't find the millimeter or two that somewhere my other saddles, bars, brifters, whatever are off, but sliding onto the CIII is like slipping into the most comfortable part of shoes you own. i have other frames that do certain things better, but (as i said) damn, that CIII just feels like coming home. do others of you have that one bike that, no matter how many others you ride, just simply, inexplicably just feels...right? thank you serotta for building such a bike. someone will have to pry it from my cold dead hands... ;)

Ray
10-17-2004, 05:28 PM
i have other frames that do certain things better, but (as i said) damn, that CIII just feels like coming home. do others of you have that one bike that, no matter how many others you ride, just simply, inexplicably just feels...right?

Oh yeah. My 8 year old Rivendell road. It's not a custom - was built to Riv's spec geometry by Joe Starck. I've owned all manner of nice bikes since and I've liked a lot of them. But every time I throw a leg over that Riv, "being home" is the best description I can imagine. Just perfect for my dimensions and the way I ride.

-Ray

Smiley
10-17-2004, 06:23 PM
ClimbMo , what about the CSI thats fillet brazed what's that feel like , should it not be better or idendical to the C-III . Inquiring minds want to know .

Keith A
10-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Climb -- My CSi is that way for me. I have a Legend and Trek OCLV that all get ridden regularly, but when I get on CSi it just feels "like home". It's stock geometry, but it just works so well for me that I can't ever imagine giving this one up.

Climb01742
10-18-2004, 08:49 AM
smiley, i've racked my brain about that one. don't get me wrong...the CSi is wonderful, amazing...and i think the frame itself is a sweeter ride...but what makes the difference is, i think, all the other bits...different bar, stem...i've tried to replicate the placement of everything from the CIII to the CSi (and to my other frames) and all the others feel good...its just from a purely fit perspective, something is just fractionally more dialed in on the CIII...the performance of the CSi is better...but maybe .00001 less perfect on how the other bits fit. am i making any sense? its kinda like this...i have like 10 pairs of levi 501s...all the same size...but there's this one pair that has just broken in better...