PDA

View Full Version : Specialized carbon fiber seatpost looks to have cracked

Frank
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I have ridden the Specialized Tarmac I bought five times now. I like the ride of it a lot and am pleased that I am riding and that I bought it.

I rode Sunday evening and, after I got home, I thought I heard a bit of a creaking sound from the saddle or seatpost and thought I would look them over. I thought I saw a small line parallel to the ground in the right rear extended ear of the Specialized Pave FACT w/Zertz insert carbon fiber seatpost (pic of that type seatpost below). I looked closer and used a fingernail to feel for a split. I could feel a difference from the smooth rest of the cf on the seatpost, so I got a flashlight out to take a closer look. It looks as if there is a jagged small surface crack around the right ear on the seatpost.

I called the shop Tuesday (closed on Monday) where I bought it and they said don't ride it and to bring it in. They said if it was cracked it would definitely be covered under warranty and that they would replace it. I am 100 miles away, so I told them I would rather bring it in and replace it with a Thomson Elite aluminum seatpost. They didn't have one in stock, but said they could order one and it should be in this week. They had some other seatposts in stock, both aluminum and carbon fiber, but I wanted a Thomson.

I told them I would check the other shops in town and, if they had one, would buy it and come and see them. None of the other shops I called had one on stock, so told the shop I would just get one shipped to me at home and would save a 200 mile round trip and bring the old one back when I made a trip up that way. They said that was fine, so tonight I changed over the seatpost.

I was kind of concerned when I was looking at bikes with carbon fiber seatposts (and to a lesser degree cf fork steerers) because I had ridden Thomson seatposts for many years with not a problem. I also wondered about the durability of cf seatposts, but all 3 of the shops said a cf seatpost would be fine for me at my weight (I am 205 pounds) and that they rarely saw problems other than over tightening in the seat tube. I know lots of folks have ridden cf seatposts with no issues (probably lighter folks!) but I am going to stick with Thomson from here on out.

Elefantino
07-18-2008, 04:05 AM
I had one Specialized crack on me, although not at the ear. (Seatposts have ears?) Carbon for light folks, OK. Carbon for us beasts, not so much.

Thomson it is.

m.skeen
07-18-2008, 06:27 AM
I had a Pave with Zertz (old style) break on me (found a new a new pot whole). Replaced it with a Thomson. I also ride a Thomson on my SS MTB.

I do ride a Look ergo CF seatpost on my Look KG281 no problems at all and I'm 210lbs.