PDA

View Full Version : Carmichael on EPO

Dino
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
This just posted by Chris Carmichael. I highlighted the interesting section...

Bicycling.com
Damn It Ricco!
By Chris Carmichael

Damn it Ricco! That was my first reaction to this morning's news, and it immediately reminded me of my initial "Damn it Vino!" response to Alexander Vinokourov's positive test for blood doping last year. Damn it for putting the Tour de France on the front page of mainstream newspapers and sports websites for all the wrong reasons. Damn it for making people continue to question outstanding performances from all athletes, and damn it for kicking the sport I adore when it's still healing from its last beating.

I've been trying hard to look at the positive side of the recent doping cases, and especially this latest one with Riccardo Ricco and Saunier Duval, but I have to admit that I'm torn.

On the positive side:
If it's true that Ricco was caught using a brand-new, third-generation EPO, then you have to give the anti-doping agencies a lot of credit for catching up to the leading edge of doping science. For a long time, the cheaters were far ahead of the testers, using substances that couldn't be detected or were completely unknown to anti-doping officials. The BALCO case in the US is just one example, and the exact nature of the drug was only discovered when someone involved in its use delivered a sample of the substance to officials. The original EPO was used in the peloton for years before there was any semblance of a way to detect it. Initial reports are that this new drug, Cera or Micera, was provided to anti-doping officials by the manufacturer early on in its development so they could be prepared for its eventual use as a performance-enhancing drug. Cooperation between anti-doping agencies and pharmaceutical companies who create drugs for legitimate medical uses is a big step forward in the fight against doping.

On the negative side:
Riccardo Ricco was leading the Young Rider Classification. He's part of the younger generation of riders in the peloton, the generation everyone hopes will lead the way out of the sport's dark period and bring about a significant cultural shift away from doping. Manuel Beltran, the first athlete to test positive for EPO during this year's Tour, is 37 years old and on the downside of his career. When he tested positive it was easy - and somewhat comforting - to assume he was just trying to hang on to his career for one more year. His positive test lent credibility to the idea that it was primarily the older riders who still didn't get it. Now that a young man like Ricco has tested positive, it reminds us that doping may still seem like a viable option for riders who are at the beginning of their careers.

Several days ago I heard mention of the fact that Ricco idolizes Marco Pantani, and I remember thinking that was an interesting choice of role models. Pantani was one of the sport's greatest riders of the past ten years, but perhaps its most tragic story. He won the Tour de France and the Tour of Italy, and was the last person to win both in the same year. But doping destroyed him. He left the sport in disgrace and descended into depression and addictions to illicit drugs, and he eventually died of a cocaine overdose. Yet this is the man Ricco chose to lionize, the man he chose to emulate. He may have initially been drawn Pantani's tremendous achievements, but now it appears he may also have been ensnared by same demons that brought down his hero.

In the end, though, I remain positive about the current state of professional cycling and about its future. The fight against doping is ugly and difficult, but absolutely necessary. It's a battle that will never completely go away, but I think significant progress is being made. And as heart-wrenching as it is to watch, I'd rather see a rider like Ricco caught and removed from the Tour de France while the race is still going on rather than discover later that his achievements through three weeks of racing were all founded in fraud. At least this way he can't taint the results of the Alpine stages yet to come.

Johny
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
:rolleyes: Yes he knows better...

bike <3'er
07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Lance's man and someone mentioned in several lawsuits. Did Carmichael read 'From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France'?

Chris Carmichael...trainer to the stars...do as I say, now, not as I did, then...

http://www.amazon.com/Lance-Landis-Inside-American-Controversy/dp/034549962X

rounder
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I like C. Carmichael and believe he has been good for racing and cycling (bike riding) over the years. I don't know whether he or other riders he supported ever did drugs while racing...really haven't got the faintist idea these days who races on drugs. I agree with him though that people like Ricco are ruining the race for everyone who is following it and are hoping to see something great that is settled on the road, and not by a team of lawyers. Glad Ricco got caught for what he did. I love bike riding and watching races. Really hate going to work and dealing with (psyched out Redskin fans) coworkers who come to me and say...hey, did you hear who just got busted in the TDF??

RonW87
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Wasn't he involved in the blood transfusions carried out by the USA cycling team at the 1984 LA Olympics? Supposedly legal at the time.

Ron

toaster
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, Virginia, there are still hypocrites in cycling.

Kines
07-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Not that I have any dog in this fight, or reason to defend Carmichael.....

I think one can regret having doped (or stood by, or condoned it) in the past, have a new philosophy now, hope for a better future, and criticize the current dopers, all without being a "hypocrite". In fact, David Millar comes to mind. Some still think he's a hypocrite, but assuming he is truly clean now, I think he is a hero to cycling.

KN

Steelhead
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Lance's man and someone mentioned in several lawsuits. Did Carmichael read 'From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France'?

Chris Carmichael...trainer to the stars...do as I say, now, not as I did, then...

http://www.amazon.com/Lance-Landis-Inside-American-Controversy/dp/034549962X

Has Lance sued these authors yet? Times' a wastin ! :cool:

mike p
07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Carmichael's one of the biggest hypocrites in the sport.

Mike

OT7
07-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Has Lance sued these authors yet? Times' a wastin ! :cool:

I doubt lance will sue. If he does, then all of the evidence has to come out in court...again.

Dude
07-20-2008, 12:53 AM
How on earth does this imply he was on EPO??

Don't get me wrong, i'm as jaded and pessimistic as the next cycling fan but how does one glean that Carmichael used EPO from this article?

I know they dope in horse racing and none of them have been busted. Does that mean i know something?

mike p
07-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Not that I have any dog in this fight, or reason to defend Carmichael.....

I think one can regret having doped (or stood by, or condoned it) in the past, have a new philosophy now, hope for a better future, and criticize the current dopers, all without being a "hypocrite". In fact, David Millar comes to mind. Some still think he's a hypocrite, but assuming he is truly clean now, I think he is a hero to cycling.

KN

The difference between people like millar and carmichael is first and formost millar came clean, admitted using, admitted he was wrong, and did his time. Carmichael hasn't gotten to step 1 on the rehab program. I'm not saying carmichael used as a racer but he was definetly part of the drug culture as a coach!

Mike

Charles M
07-20-2008, 05:30 PM
How on earth does this imply he was on EPO??

It doesn't, unless you want to try hard enough to read into it...

Dino
07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
It doesn't, unless you want to try hard enough to read into it...

If you are referring to the subject line of the post, I am not implying that Carmichael used EPO. The subject line of "Carmichael on EPO" is akin to saying "????? on Hillary." AKA: one is discussing another.

I simply found it interesting how somewhat freely he discusses the relative "ease" in which is was previously used.