PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Positive....

weatherman
07-17-2008, 06:37 AM
I thought this was the year "they" took the Tour back......this is getting ridiculous. I've even got non-cyclists in my office now asking me why cyclists are so stupid and think they can get away with this stuff? Come on!

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/80269/ricco-positive

I really 'want' to believe we are seeing real racing, but I guess we just aren't there yet--thats really unfortunate.

:confused:

paczki
07-17-2008, 06:49 AM
I thought this was the year "they" took the Tour back......this is getting ridiculous. I've even got non-cyclists in my office now asking me why cyclists are so stupid and think they can get away with this stuff? Come on!

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/80269/ricco-positive

I really 'want' to believe we are seeing real racing, but I guess we just aren't there yet--thats really unfortunate.

:confused:

He was part of the targeted ten as well, and suject of many rumors. It's a bummer, but it's a good thing in the end. The manager of SD said that's the end of the team.

Ray
07-17-2008, 06:57 AM
He was part of the targeted ten as well, and suject of many rumors. It's a bummer, but it's a good thing in the end. The manager of SD said that's the end of the team.
They were the one team left that was defying gravity way too easily. I think this is good. I haven't seen anyone else in the Tour who LOOKS like they're doping. Maybe they're serious. With SD out, it may actually come down to grit and determination and teamwork. We'll see. If some of the guys who look like they're really scrapping, like Cadel or Menchov or VdV test positive, I'll probably lose all faith. But for now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

-Ray

Spinner
07-17-2008, 06:57 AM
... i had hope that ricco was the real deal.

Fixed
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
wana bet more cats from s.d. are on it .
cheers

CNY rider
07-17-2008, 07:13 AM

He and Jens Voigt have put in the most inspiring performances so far.

Richard
07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Well...he did say that Pantani was his hero. Role model too, it appears.

Erik.Lazdins
07-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow - the whole team out!

The peleton may be rather small come Paris!

How many variations of EPO are there? How many tests for EPO are there?

thinpin
07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
All this whinging here about lack lustre riders may mean we are seeing more and more racing that IS clean. It just might take a while for it to settle down down....that of course, is until the cheats find new ****!

Ray
07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
All this whinging here about lack lustre riders may mean we are seeing more and more racing that IS clean. It just might take a while for it to settle down down....that of course, is until the cheats find new ****!
But if they really adopt the Columbia/Garmin methodology of testing against a rider's baseline blood profiles rather than testing FOR specific substances, couldn't that take care of the "new *****" also? That seems like the first chance for the regulators to be able to keep up with the dopers and keep it from just being an ever-escalating arms race. We know who wins those.

-Ray

Charles M
07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
I just had a really cool phone call...

There are some EXCEPTIONALLY happy pro riders today at the tour... SD were, quite honestly, really pissing people off...

And it's just another "B" team positive.

I'm sticking to the point that NO team without year round dope controls done to the same degree as a couple top teams should be allowed to race.

Not one of the guys positive so far would have started the race had their teams made the anti doping commitment.

At least the S.D. team did the right thing after the fact. That Barloworld and Liquigas are still in the race is bull*****.

paczki
07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I guess the Giro results are a bit questionable now. Does anyone ever get caught for doping at the Giro?

Interesting on CERA:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=/features/2008/tour08_micera_st12

Spicoli
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
This is the best thing that could possibly happen IMHO. If no one got popped it would make me think that the testing is lagging behind the dope doctors. The guy's who are still dirty and not caught "yet" must be scared sh-tless :cool: What we need now and maybe they have it already are some paid peleton spy's to do some undercover work as well?

Also with regard to Ricco, soooooo obvious he was running on jet fuel. The rest of SD team too. Jens V. makes me kind of nervous also but he has been riding like that for years and did look crushed after he did his work, not smiling like the SD guys :D .

The sport is getting cleaned up, if it was not there would be no positive test. Ten years from now we will still have positive test and thats a good thing I think. It is human nature for some to try and cheat. The whole good vs. evil thing ya know :confused:

Ray
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I guess the Giro results are a bit questionable now. Does anyone ever get caught for doping at the Giro?

Pantani in '99 comes to mind.

-Ray

goonster
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Pantani in '99 comes to mind.

As does Garzelli in '02.

(Let us not speak of Merckx in '69, which was probably BS)

Birch
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Were there no tests done at the Giro? Or are Italians just exluded?

Part of me is sad because it's kinda like being a Cub's fan... Next Year Will Be Different...

I almost wish Le Tour would do a 3 and out sorta thing. 3 positive doping tests and BLAMMO.. Tour cancelled on the spot. Thanks for playing. The busted teams then have to pay monster fines. Or something more than the traditional slap on the wrists.

I mean, as for Ricco, he's just a kid. 2 years suspension and he'll be 25 with lots of time ahead of him. He may hopefully come back as a stronger, clean, humble rider and less prone to burn out or to take short cuts.... I hope...

bzbvh5
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
One thing I like is the ASO is in charge of the race and not the now defunct UCI. If there is a A sample (we don't care about the B sample) positive result, you are out of the tour. No monkey business, no trial, no excuses, good bye, have a nice life away from cycling. No more Floydd Landis type trials although I did enjoy Greg Lemond's testimony, no Tyler Hamilton frozen B sample excuses. Sure, the ASO kept Astana out which I didn't like, but I like to see the effort to take total control of their race and make it the cleanest best one possible.

I only hope the Final Yellow Jersey isn't doping. I would hate to have what happend with Floydd Landis happen in Le Tour 2008.

Avispa
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM

An I hoped that Santa Claus was also real...

Oh well. :p

..A..

paczki
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
An I hoped that Santa Claus was also real...

Oh well. :p

..A..

He's not? Next time you reveal information like that please put SPOILER in your email!

dauwhe
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I almost wish Le Tour would do a 3 and out sorta thing. 3 positive doping tests and BLAMMO.. Tour cancelled on the spot. Thanks for playing. The busted teams then have to pay monster fines. Or something more than the traditional slap on the wrists.

I see the three positive tests as a good thing, like the race is getting cleaner. Last thing I'd want to see is the race getting cancelled now, with 2nd place one second behind first! :beer:

Dave

Avispa
07-17-2008, 10:41 PM
He's not? Next time you reveal information like that please put SPOILER in your email!

Sorry... I meant to say, Santa IS real, he is just on EPO!!! :D :D

..A..

Steelhead
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
they should have just kicked him off for wearing this (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/07/this-just-in-tour-de-france-riders-find.html)