PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds MV32's vs. Zipp 303's

foamy
07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I know this question (or something similar) has been asked before but I want to get people's thoughts based on the latest versions of these products (2008). They are both available in clincher and tubular form.

What do the experts think? (that's you!)

thanks...

gone
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm only partly qualified to answer. I've got the Reynolds DV-46UL's and a set of Zipp 303's but neither are the latest version. Having said that, my choice would be the Reynolds, hands down. They're light, strong as all get out and roll very smoothly.

I had one of the sidewalls on the Zipp's delaminate (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21169&highlight=Zipp). To their credit, Zipp replaced it (laced a new rim onto the old hub) for nothing but I have to say the resulting wheel was the worst job of "professional" wheel building I've ever seen. The wheel wasn't properly dished and the spoke tension was all over the map. Fortunately, I was able to fix it up and it's been good since. It does make me wonder though whether the original wheel had the same build quality.

At any rate, as I said, neither are the latest version so perhaps others will chime in with more recent experience.

Oh, by the way, both are tubular rims.

ThasFACE
07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Not an expert, but have you given any thought to a custom set of the new Edge rims? I have a set and love them and everyone else I have seen who has them love them as well. They're seriously light and damn strong.

znfdl
07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Not an expert, but have you given any thought to a custom set of the new Edge rims? I have a set and love them and everyone else I have seen who has them love them as well. They're seriously light and damn strong.

Give Ligero a call, he does his signature hubs with edge rims.

vaxn8r
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Reynolds. They're well built. I had a set and sold them but they were as new when I sold them. No truing.

Not Zipps. Never tried them but this is what I hear: shoddy wheels and poor customer service. At least from everyone I know around here who's tried them (I'd guess at least 6 people I know had issues with them). I know my lbs won't sell Zipps anymore.

Redturbo
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
zipp 303s-broke 3 wheels, guess I'm a slow learner.
reynolds- have 3 sets, raced cross on 1, no problems

I'm 135lbs

bluto
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Reynolds hands down.

foamy
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks to all who've responded. I was leaning toward the Reynolds set despite having a great price on the Zipp's.

Now, if anyone has a recommendation for where I might pick up the Reynolds wheels up for a song....

Well, I'd be thankful.

fierte_poser
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe not for 'a song', but pm ergott and ask him about a build up. He will use the reynolds hoops and then use the spokes, hubs, and lacing pattern that matches your weight and intended use. Lots of choices.

I would prefer that to the 'one size fits all' approach of the reynolds factory wheelsets.

Lots of folks on the forum have recommended ergott in the past. I personally have not bought any wheels from him yet, but I plan to once I figure out what I want.

jmc22
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I currently have a set of DV46C Clinchers currently for-sale on E-bay for a great price if interested"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160260799729&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

Spud
07-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Get the newer version Reynolds with the Dt hubs. Earlier versions would break spokes and the Reynolds branded hubs were temperamental. I've owned several pairs and they are great performing wheels that you can ride everyday, the only downfall is that Reynolds has spotty customer service if you ever need help. I would buy from a local shop if you can find one that sells them.

jmc22
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Get the newer version Reynolds with the Dt hubs. Earlier versions would break spokes and the Reynolds branded hubs were temperamental. I've owned several pairs and they are great performing wheels that you can ride everyday, the only downfall is that Reynolds has spotty customer service if you ever need help. I would buy from a local shop if you can find one that sells them.

Spud>

Is this from your experience or something you read?

I have not had any problems you noted with my Reynolds DV46C wheels nor have I read any problems with them on Roadbikereview.com.

Just asking?

Mr. Butterworth
07-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I've used both.

Zipps feel lighter and faster. They have better ride quality to me.

The Reynolds rims are stronger and are worthy of just about any kind of riding relative to the Zipps. Plus, now the Reynolds have DT hubs, which are a lot nicer, imo, than the Zipp hubs.

If these are race only wheels, get the Zipp. If you want to use these for all kinds of stuff, get the Reynolds.