PDA

View Full Version : steel suggestions

Kines
10-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone - it's been a while. I remember this as a place to get good bike advice, and as a forum with participants passionate about steel. Well, my time has come. I had a steel Peugeot in the 80's but I don't really count that because I can barely remember it; it's been all aluminum, carbon, and titanium since then. Well, to make a short story long, my in-laws live in Dallas, and when I visit I want a bike to ride. This will be 3-5 rides a year, so I don't want to spend too much (I haven't decided yet what is "too much", especially considering that for instance a Masi in excellent condition probably won't lose much value if well kept and ridden 3-5 times a year). For some reason I always wanted a celeste Bianchi. So I've been watching ebay for a month or so now, but with no luck, which has made me start thinking about other vintage brands. Serotta is not completely out, but since I already have one, it's not high on the list. Ideally I want a 70's -80's Italian lugged steel frame with period Campy components. I know, I'll probably end up hating it - it will probably feel like a rickety tank compared to my Concours CS/Topolino/Campy Record bike, but I want to give it a try. So, I'd be interested to hear thoughts from the "steel is real" crowd here.

Dekonick
10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
If it is just to tool around on a few times a year, why not look for a Bianchi Veloce? NIce lugged steel frames with veloce groupo. You can probably find an 8 or 9 sp veloce for @4-500 bucks or less.

Derosa89
10-17-2004, 06:27 AM
You might want to look into a DeRosa. Late 1980's DeRosa's are made of SLX tubing and have a sweet ride. Earlier models are SL and are slightly heavier. A Super Prestige in good condition with Record components goes for about $600-$900 on ebay. C-Record components are stylish and Delta brakes make for thrilling white-knuckle descents. Or you can buy a frame for about $300-$500 and build it up. Ride? I have a 95 Legend Ti and an 89 DeRosa. The Ti is lighter by 1.5 lbs. (19.5 lbs vs. 21 lbs) and has a ride which feels smoother in that road vibrations are absorbed by the frame. The DeRosa also has a smooth ride but it has a better feel for the road surface. Have fun. Do your research and enjoy the hunt.

soulspinner
10-17-2004, 07:10 AM
If you see an old Ciocc grab it...they were mmmmm.

zap
10-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Get a Bridgestone. At the low to mid price range, it will be better than anything from Italy.

Gerard_CSI
10-17-2004, 11:16 AM
There are countless number of old steel frames available, on ebay, at rennaisance cycles (sp?), etc. On ebay, just search on your size ( ie. 57cm, etc.), and see what comes up.
I notice Excel has GIOS lugged steel frames on sale for $599, but doesn't include a fork...
http://www.excelsports.com/images/compactpro_a1.jpg

jerk
10-17-2004, 11:43 AM
look for an excell tubed giordana.....likely mid nineties vintage so maybe outside your time frame....great bikes many of which may or may not have been made by some guy who makes frames somewhere with funny names and big round tubes. excell tubing was the best. shame about the nautical accident.
jerk

shaq-d
10-17-2004, 05:20 PM
pinarello, colnago, merckx.. they are always on ebay. that said, i've seen tons of bianchi celestes..u'll find one if u wait.

sd